Lars Frederickson and Epiphone

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I don't know how many punk rockers we have in the audience tonight - but I was listening to some Rancid today (best punk band in history, IMO). The NOFX/Rancid split album, actually - its Rancid doing NOFX covers, and NOFX doing Rancid covers. I saw NOFX/No Use For A Name/American Steel last night (my ears are still ringing), so I'm in a very "punk" state of mind at the moment, and I was just wondering how many of you guys grew up on Rancid or other great punk bands of the 90's? (NOFX, Face To Face, and the like).

Lars Frederickson is a punk icon - and what guitar does he faithfully play? His white Epiphone Les Paul Custom. No, not an Elitist. No, not a Gibson. Can Lars afford a Gibson? HA! Lars can play whatever the f#ck Lars wants to play - and while he rocks a Gibby SG on occasion, he's been playing Epiphone for the 12 years that I've been listening to him.

Any other Rancid fans in the house? Or, Op Ivy, Transplants, Lars and the Bastards, Common Rider, or any of the other "related" bands/side projects?

Here's a quick shot of Lars and his Epi:

mtvlars.gif

And a video that changed my life when I was 14 years old or so...

YouTube - Rancid "Ruby Soho"

Reactions: KP

Benniator

Reaction score
I was a punk fan for a while, but the current crop of whiny emo pantywastes might have ruined punk for me forever. Punk has become embarrassingly cliché and commercialized (thanks a lot, Blink-182). And way to go, music industry, for cutting the nads off of yet another genre of music.

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm with you Ben! I've been discouraged lately as well. Rancid probably gets a solid 10% of my playlist - and while I don't listen to punk music on a daily basis - I always come back to Rancid (or one of the guys' side projects) - some Social D, NOFX, Face To Face, and the like. I'm sure you would have loved the NOFX show that I was at last night - it was almost 4 hours of non stop punk - NOFX did almost 2 hours themselves! The show really renewed my faith in Punk music - knowing that the "good guys" are still out there touring after all these years. In fact, I got a shirt that says "NOFX" on the top, has a recycling symbol under it, and then says "Recycling The Same Music For 25 Years." I'm not even sick of it yet!! :D

-Rancid is supposed to be here in August. Keeping my fingers crossed...

SiameseDreamer

Reaction score
I was a punk fan for a while, but the current crop of whiny emo pantywastes might have ruined punk for me forever. Punk has become embarrassingly cliché and commercialized (thanks a lot, Blink-182). And way to go, music industry, for cutting the nads off of yet another genre of music.

I could not agree more about the emo panty wastes of the world.... but PUNK is fucking awesome... real punk... Bad Religion... NOFX... RANCID.... great bands, great music.... it's the cheap knock offs you gotta watchout for... BLINK 182, I too am looking in your direction

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Rock on Dreamer - Bad Religion is another outstanding band.

My first real punk show was Face To Face - that was such an amazing show! NOFX rocked as always last night - and No Use For A Name did a great a job as well - they were animated as hell - all over the stage, jumping off of stuff - and both guitarists rocking Les Pauls (a GT and a white Custom) - its been a while since I was at a good punk show, I'm still pretty pumped from last night!

lifele55

Reaction score
NUFAN was there? Nice! Been awhile since I popped in their cd...

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
NUFAN was there? Nice! Been awhile since I popped in their cd...

Buddy, they were great, too! I hadn't listened to a whole lot of their stuff before. I saw them once in Ohio back in '00 or so - they opened for the Alkaline Trio, Saves The Day, and Face To Face. It was a killer show - I came in during the middle of the No Use set - and didn't realize how badass they were until last night!

Reaction score
Yeah im definately a huge punk fan, surprisingly now more than ever. It was the first music i got into, then i moved to smashing pumpkins and gnr and classic rock and everything else, but i found myself back into it, not only with my fave's like nofx and rancid, but also a good new breed that are out there that don't get mainstream attention like against me, jawbreaker (older) lawrence arms, hot water music etc. all good stuff....im also getting myself a les paul and looking for that balls out rock sound of lars that's trademark to rancid's guitar sound. i know i posted this already somewhere but any suggestions as to what to go with, guitar and or amp?

dawn_dew

Reaction score
shows that Epiphone is capable and shouldnt be looked down upon just cuase its not Gibson

dawn_dew

Reaction score
that actually makes me feel proud to own a LP custom now haha 8)

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wiskey - my best suggestion would be to go with the gear that Lars is using if you want his sound! An Epi LP Custom, and a Marshall 1/2 stack (not sure of the model, but you can bet your ass its tubes!).

There is some good new underground stuff, for sure. The mainstream has fucked up the culture somewhat, though. I used to be a mohawk sporting punk rocker, but in my "old age" (26) I've had to tone it down some! :D

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Side note, yet funny - we were front row balcony - after NOFX finished off the show, my drummer Joe and I both stood up to leave, I see something out the corner of my eye hit Joe in the arm and land on the ground - we both look down, and it was a drum stick! Musta been a 75 yard throw from the stage - and about 30 feet up! We both looked at it as some kid dove in between us to the ground and snatched it up - he looked up at us kinda "timid" looking, given his precarious position and the fact that he about took us both out right next to the balcony rail to get a drum stick. Joe and I laughed at the kid and helped him up. Wish we woulda gotten that stick, though!

lifele55

Reaction score
Yeah chasing rainbows, another fave...

NOFX came down last year with alot other bands but I couldn't catch them. Well come to think of it they came twice I think!

Any pictures from the show?

diceman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I have a terrible cell phone pic. Let me email it to myself and upload it!! :D

Edit: Crappy cell phone pic. I took a little cellie video that turned out terrible as well! :D So, sorry for the shitty picture (not even good content - backs and stuff!). We had the best seats in the house that were out of the pit! :D This was NOFX by the way...

nofx.jpg

El Hefe was rocking a white Tele, Fat Mike a Danelectro bass (ugly as sin), and Eric on a Les Paul (natural finish Gibson from the looks of it...)

lifele55

Reaction score
Hmmm... I have a terrible cell phone pic. Let me email it to myself and upload it!! :D

Edit: Crappy cell phone pic. I took a little cellie video that turned out terrible as well! :D So, sorry for the shitty picture (not even good content - backs and stuff!). We had the best seats in the house that were out of the pit! :D This was NOFX by the way...

nofx.jpg

El Hefe was rocking a white Tele, Fat Mike a Danelectro bass (ugly as sin), and Eric on a Les Paul (natural finish Gibson from the looks of it...)

Haha, well yeap those Dano's don't really score well on looks on my books as well!

That looks like a great show! I wouldn't mind not being in the pit looking at everyone all sandwiched in there. But looks like a great view from where you were

Latest Threads