laquer crack or neck break

50und5g00d

Reaction score
Thanks guys,
Have more pics. Thought it would be so important, but forgot to mention that the front looks quite ok.
unfortunately, the photographs are out of focus.
Sometime ago I had an issue with a guitar, shipped from overseas, which had a hardly visible surface scratch that during set-up turned out to be a crack.

HJR

Reaction score
I had a Tokai LSS with a finish crack at that part of the neck, but it was easier to confirm because the finish was transparent. Good luck.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
THAT is a WOOD CRACK and exactly in the place that the peghead is joined to the neck on Gibsons. If you didn't know, Gibson necks are not 1-piece like a "better" Fender and are actually 5 different pieces of wood glued together. Just begging to be broken.

Keep in mind that 99.99% of the people giving advice on this Board and Thread AREN'T Luthiers and have no idea what they are talking about.

irocdave12

Reaction score
THAT is a WOOD CRACK and exactly in the place that the peghead is joined to the neck on Gibsons. If you didn't know, Gibson necks are not 1-piece like a "better" Fender and are actually 5 different pieces of wood glued together. Just begging to be broken.

Keep in mind that 99.99% of the people giving advice on this Board and Thread AREN'T Luthiers and have no idea what they are talking about.
Say what? I suggest you check out a couple you tube videos if you think Gibson necks are not a single piece of mahogany because you are the one who is wrong

WhiteEpiLP

Reaction score

If you are counting the ears on the headstock, the holly veneer on the head stock and the fretboard as the 4 other pieces sure it’s 5 pieces of wood but, your still wrong cause it would be 6 pieces since there is a maple strip on top of the truss rod under the fretboard, the neck itself is one piece with no scarf joint on a Gibson. And then by that logic a fender neck is NOT one piece either since there is a walnut skunk strip holding the truss rod in place, and plenty of fender necks have rosewood boards glued on top too. The weakness in the Gibson design is the 17 degree headstock angle combined with a 4ish degree neck angle making the headstock stick out past the back of the guitar also the truss rod access hole is rather large in the thinnest part of the neck. But mainly if the headstock didn’t stick out past the back of the body then it wouldn’t be the first thing to hit the ground if the guitar falls, but all those aspects are part of the look, feel and sheer awesomeness that is the Les Paul.

pshupe

Premium Member
Reaction score

Who let the trolls in?? :rofl: 99.99% of the people on this board know how Gibson built there necks. How does it feel to be the 1 in 10,000 that apparently does not?? :naughty:

Cheers Peter.

Lumi71

Reaction score
It is a vintage Tokai, not a Gibson LP

rabidhamster

Reaction score
dang that’s green. I’d take the risk. Heck if it’s really that green, I’d probably try to buy it out from under you if I weren’t so broke and lazy.

Latest Threads