LAPD to stop impounding cars..

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Lapd Impound | LAPD limits impounding of unlicensed drivers' cars - Los Angeles Times

In the past, LAPD officers at DUI checkpoints had a policy that called for them to impound a car whenever the driver was found to not have a valid license.

No more, because immigration advocacy groups whined and complained that this policy unfairly targeted illegal immigrants. Color me stupid but I thought the policy targeted unlicensed drivers! I certainly hope this new policy applies to all unlicensed drivers and not just unlicensed illegal immigrants. When is this PC madness going to stop? Let's just repeal all laws, ban prosecution of all crime, and ignore any and all rules because it just might inconvenience an illegal alien or some other perceived minority!

Jeeze no wonder this country has gone to hell in a handbasket.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
What's the matter impound lot to full cars. Why not sell them at auction for them to pay for the fines that these idiots create in the first places.

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Apparently they will give them a chance to get either the owner of the vehicle or another licensed driver to come to drive the car away..

I'm curious, does California require a vehicle to be insured? I wonder how many of those unlicensed drivers are driving uninsured vehicles, and will the police be allowing the uninsured car to be driven away.. Here in PA I believe if you are caught driving without a license I think they will tow your vehicle (I know this happened to a friend several times in the past), I do know an uninsured car will be impounded no ifs ands or buts.

Edit: to answer my question.. yes you do need insurance, but looking at the Cali vehicle code, effective Jan 1 2016, residents of LA County along with residents of the city and county of San Francisco will no longer need to show proof of insurance at the time of registration renewal - AND those same people will no longer need to show proof of insurance to law enforcement.. ??? Not that's for F'd up crap.

mudfinger

Thanks for the memories.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Uh, some of us have a short memory, or are too young to remember, but the notion of impounding a vehicle in California because a driver's license is suspended/expired/invalid is a recent phenomenon.

Back in the day, you got a ticket for that sorta thing. No arrest, no impound, just a ticket.

I guess the expense of towing, storing, and auctioning vehicles turned out to be more than the anticipated revenue of depriving California residents of their property without due process. :thumb:

morats8up

Reaction score
The towing/ Impounding business is alive and well here, It's just like printing money for these towing companies.

Username1

Reaction score
so will the not impound me the next time i have to park on the street in hollywood because i can't run out of the house of blues every hour to switch sides of the street-- DUI's get all the breaks

bertzie

Reaction score
DUIs should be punished with a bullet to the brain.

Latest Threads