Laney Klipp 100W

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals, I wanted to make a dedicated thread for this amazing amplifier that I acquired back in June of this year. I do not come across many detailed explanations of this amp, so I figured I'd do my good justice to the guitar community.

klipp.jpg

When I first received this amplifier, it was very sick. More than like unknowingly by the individual whom I purchased it from, as it sounded KILLER even just running on 3 power tubes...! :doh::facepalm::wow::wtf: And some other normal old tube amp issues.

After a good thorough servicing by my trusty friend/amplifier guru, this thing is up there with one of the best amplifiers that I have ever had the pleasure to play through, let alone own. He also added a Master volume to make this more useable without acquiring them terrible hearing loss problems... :laugh2: Yes guys, this is reversible and I saved the original switch for originality's sake.

Power section: This amplifier is your standard Laney Supergroup circuit with a few little extra things going on under the hood. I will upload gut shots for you nerds later today when I return home from work. The Supergroup is essentially a 100W SLP circuit, using the Partridge transformers that everyone knows and loves. This Klipp is just that, with an extra fire breathing channel wired in.

Klipp Channel: This circuit uses a dedicated preamp tube to provide the clipping. This was designed to mimic the affect of placing a treble booster (which uses transistor vs a tube) into the front end of the amp, as most everyone was doing in the early 70s. This channel sounds very thin and fizzy until you crank up the volume. When you crank up that volume knob, you are in Masters of Reality heaven. I hate to compare "tones" to classic albums or players, but being a Sabbath guru, this is it... End of the line, I cant think of anything that could come closer! I will add a video of me playing some Sabbath riffs in C# and let you tell me what you think! However, that is not all this channel is good for. It's great for just a searing lead sound with sustain that goes on for days. It's almost Fuzz face like, but a bit more saggy and bite.

Normal channel: Think classic 100W Marshall. That's really about it here, with some extra magic sprinkled in from the Partridge transformers. The notes just bloom and the overtones come from all over the place. I personally prefer the low input on the normal channel. It is unlike a Marshall two holer, like my 2204, in that the low input is not clean. It's only about a 5-10% decrease in intensity/gain. After all, just imagine a 100W Marshall had a weird over night affair with a Hi-Watt and produced offspring. Even then, you just have to hear it for yourself.

Sorry for the long winded description, but I cannot recommend this amplifier more to anyone who is into such a device. The trick is finding them, as they do not come up for sell very often. I will add links to videos later today of me playing through this amp with a few different guitars, tunings, and amplifier settings. I will also add a bunch of gut shots, pics of the front, and rear panel of the Klipp.

Enjoy guys!

-Taylor

LesPauI+SG=Win

Reaction score

This is one that I recorded today for you guys. This is into the normal channel, low input. Oh and I forgot to mention, you can jump the channels for some ridiculous dirt.