Laney GH50R/GH100R

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Never heard mention of the Laney GHR series amps here or anywhere for that matter until last night. Man I'm GASing for one hard. 4 12AX7 and 2 EL34. What makes in unique is that on channel 2 you can adjust the output stage to get that lush power tube breakup and compression/sustain without having to crank the amp volume. So you can blend pre-amp and power tube gain to your liking at home/smaller venue volumes. Really works well. And the red/black tolex and corner handles make it a severe looker.

Anyone own or even tried one? Released last year it get rave reviews, but not a lot of vids or user reviews. But what there is love it.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3eWY8P83r4[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrG5XaCi1KE[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlBlYBwM7IQ[/ame]

Syrus

Reaction score
Laney is quite the underdog.

I have the Marshall JCM800 like VC50 2x12 (which is a VH100 as a 50w combo with a misleading name) and I have the VC30 1x12 (which is a Class A type amp, more akin to a AC30 if anything else).

Opeth used VH (100) & VC (30) series amps, GH series is not too distant from it. I really like the gain these amps generate. Kind of stiff and tight. Just the right amounts of everything.

Glad you like the new cosmetics, but I think that basic chrome and black/pepper would've been the better choice. Not too many people are fond of it.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
How do you like it? I'm a Marshall guy. Is it capable of getting both that classic Marshall crunch and JCM800 type gain as the type of tubes would indicate?

lunchbox

Reaction score
I had a GH50L with matching 4x12. It took a lot of tube rolling and speaker try outs to get it perfect. But once I got the right mix of pre-amp tubes and put Cele G12M-25s in the cab, it was bliss. Like a JCM800 with more gain on tap. I especially liked the switchable added gain stage.

I ended up selling it to downsize my rig because I couldn't find a band. Big mistake, as now I have a band again and ended up buying a 4x12 again. I wish I still had that rig. It was awesome.

Laneys problem in the US is distribution. Theirs sucks so they're just not around much in stores. Plus their amps aren't the best looking out there (except the old Supergroups; one of the coolest looking amps ever). I always thought mine was ugly, but sounded better than most amps out there for about 1/2 the cost.

lunchbox

Reaction score
How do you like it? I'm a Marshall guy. Is it capable of getting both that classic Marshall crunch and JCM800 type gain as the type of tubes would indicate?
Yes, it can cover all those bases with ease. And with the extra pre-amp tube gain stage has more gain than a JCM800. They also have a bass boost switch, and so has more bass available than a JCM800, imo.

JohnnyN

Reaction score
It was high on my short list last year, and I was very close to buy one. I ended up with a fair deal on a used JTM45 though. But the Laney GHR is definitely a more versatile modern amp that can sound like the classics.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Yeah, I've been keeping an eye out for a deal on an old Marshall head, but this is mighty interesting.

HeavyPsych

Reaction score
Since there’s little or no info online I thought I’d give my 2 cents:

I’ve owned and played through the Laney GH50R head and a 1980s Marshall 4x12 with Celestion V30s and fairly new 25w Greenbacks for two years now. My band plays heavy rock/psych/classic rock.

I’ve gigged it, rehearsed it and recorded it during the last two years and I’m pleased with it - I really haven’t explored it enough yet because there are lots of parameters to tweak depending on what sound you want.

First off - both channels will go from squeaky/warm clean to heavy gain if you want them to. Sure, ch 1 is more geared towards clean tones since it has a bright function but you could use either channel for a cleaner sound if you want to.

In my opinion, the amp does lose definition and gets fizzy when you go semi-nuts with the gain/drive. Depending on your style that could be an issue, but since past Laney heads are known for being sensitive to what pre tubes you use maybe this too can be tweaked. As long as you don’t go overboard with the drive knob and dial in the right master output to fill out the sound you’ll be rewarded with a great rock/classic rock/heavy rock crunch bordering on full-on distortion. Very much like that other British brand, but a bit more polite.

Alright, now that we’ve satisfied the ”gain crowd”, let’s address the cleanish tones. Ch 1 reaaaally sounds fantastic on low gain settings. The bright function adds a lot of nice sparkle to my Les Paul Traditional Pro (57 classics/BB3) and solid punch to my SG special (Duncan Phat Cat P90s). I’ve played it with a HWY 1 stock Tele, a HWY 1 Strat with Klein ’69s (amazing pups!) too. The sc guitars sounded very true to what they were, but I mainly play Humbuckers and P90s.

The pull-mid-shift on the eq section works wonders for some guitars and does basically nothing for some depending on the flavor of your pickups I guess. My SG Std with stock 490/498 pups basically ignores the shift function but all my SC guitars love it and respond well to it.

The master tone knob is a nice feature if you’ve found your ideal eq settings and just need to fine tune for recording and such.

On to the selling point:
The PPIMV works nicely. In my opinion it’s not quite like running the master output on full tilt, but it works fine. Let’s face it - most rockers (myself included) love it loud, but rehearsing on full tilt will make a big sonic mess of everything in the room. So it’s indeed a handy function.

I must say that the eq section really works on this amp as opposed to some Marshall amps I’ve used sporadically in the past. The GH50R has a bigger and beefier bottom end than Marshalls too if you want it to. If you don’t - just roll it off.

The reverb is pretty cool. I rarely use it, but the two modes will suit most live situations I guess.

I haven’t tried the fx loop and the DI out/speaker emulation and since I’d rather record the old-fashioned way I probably won’t until the need arises.

One major dislike is that not one but TWO Laney foot switches have crapped out on me in a matter of minutes/hours.

In short, the GH50R is a great amp and you’d have to spend double or triple the price to find a better one. There are better amps out there, but the versatility makes it really hard to beat!

I hope this helps anyone looking for info.

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Wow! Never expected this. Great information. This amp still tempts me from time to time. A 30 watt head has come out since this thread.

HeavyPsych

Reaction score
You’re welcome!

We recently recorded a couple of songs (100%) live in our makeshift studio. Laney ships the GHR combos with V30s and while my cab is fitted with two old V30s I chose to mic one of my 2014 Chinese made 25w Greenbacks with a Sennheiser e609 slightly off-center

....and WOW! My SG Std with 490/498 pups completely roared through that setup! Everything was there! Bluesy sounds on the neck pup and super charged full-on rock mayhem on the bridge pup!

I didn’t even go halfway on the drive/gain knob om ch2 and just above 1 o’clock on the master output. That way I still had separation but didn’t sacrifice the balls from the power section.

I really think anyone interested in the GHR line should give them a try.

Take a look the jpg below, you’ll see my settings for THAT sound if you blow it up a bit.

B8867F54-40B4-423B-B510-4094D223B81D.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads