Laney 3 Watt Supergroup released. £849…?

rich85

Reaction score
I officially do not understand amp pricing anymore.

I, like many others, love the tones on the first Sabbath albums so when I saw that a 3 watt “LA Studio” was released yesterday I was interested.

3 watts, “All valve” with a 2 notes captor built in for the IR’s.

But it costs £849, wtf.

I have no idea how it reaches that price point. Anyone with a home studio already has a load box and IR’s set up. It is slightly more expensive than the 30 watt version.

Here is a demo where it sounds very average:

Rumy_

Reaction score
You are right. It is amiss.Fans of early Sabbath are likely not going to be thrilled.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I have no idea how it reaches that price point. Anyone with a home studio already has a load box and IR’s set up. It is slightly more expensive than the 30 watt version.
I agree with you completely except for this part, there's plenty of people with home studios that don't have load boxes or IR's

edro

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That price makes absolutely no sense.....

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
I officially do not understand amp pricing anymore.

I, like many others, love the tones on the first Sabbath albums so when I saw that a 3 watt “LA Studio” was released yesterday I was interested.

3 watts, “All valve” with a 2 notes captor built in for the IR’s.

But it costs £849, wtf.

Here is a demo where it sounds very average:
How much should it be instead?

rich85

Reaction score
How much should it be instead?

Dunno. Probably not the same price as a 20 Watt Marshall Studio Superlead though.

If you want to add some thoughts feel free, if you want to come across as rude again also fee free.

RuneDanmark

Reaction score
Dunno. Probably not the same price as a 20 Watt Marshall Studio Superlead though.

If you want to add some thoughts feel free, if you want to come across as rude again also fee free.
How is it rude to ask what the price should be instead?

The Marshall doesn't have built in two notes. So already added cost on top of that...

The revv g20 with built in two notes cost more than the Laney. But that is too expensive too because a marshall is cheaper?

rich85

Reaction score
How is it rude to ask what the price should be instead?

The Marshall doesn't have built in two notes. So already added cost on top of that...

The revv g20 with built in two notes cost more than the Laney. But that is too expensive too because a marshall is cheaper?

You are coming across as extremely condescending.

The Revv G20 is 20 watts and puts the Laney 3 watt amp to shame in terms of features.

v-man

Reaction score
Here is the rub…

TwoNotes is easily $175-$250 worth of price bloat on the tag... for those without a need or use for it.

v-man

Reaction score
That price makes absolutely no sense.....
Looking deeper… maybe it does.

- Hand made in UK
- All tube
- Added Two Notes hardware

I think the bigger issue is the market makes no sense. I love Sabbath. A little head seems like an interesting noncommittal way of perfecting the old Sabbath and maybe some other doom tones. The problem is I can literally buy a REAL vintage Supergroup for that price. If I wanted to commit that deeply, why not the classic with built-in timelessness and simplicity of repair? If I want the convenience of turnkey studio sounds, why wouldn’t I buy some stupid DAW plugin for nothing, what, $70-90 with vintage Fane IRs?

The Market is perfect for the middle… a small head preferably tube (so no MIUK, nor twonotes crap) in the $750-$1k US price range. They seem to want double that, giving the buyer pause to ask “why not spend that much on the real deal 100w classic, or spend nothing on a toy plugin to nail sabbath?”

rich85

Reaction score
Looking deeper… maybe it does.

- Hand made in UK
- All tube
- Added Two Notes hardware

I think the bigger issue is the market makes no sense. I love Sabbath. A little head seems like an interesting noncommittal way of perfecting the old Sabbath and maybe some other doom tones. The problem is I can literally buy a REAL vintage Supergroup for that price. If I wanted to commit that deeply, why not the classic with built-in timelessness and simplicity of repair? If I want the convenience of turnkey studio sounds, why wouldn’t I buy some stupid DAW plugin for nothing, what, $70-90 with vintage Fane IRs?

The Market is perfect for the middle… a small head preferably tube (so no MIUK, nor twonotes crap) in the $750-$1k US price range. They seem to want double that, giving the buyer pause to ask “why not spend that much on the real deal 100w classic, or spend nothing on a toy plugin to nail sabbath?”

Very good points. And spot on with where the market is for it. The price would probably be quite appealing if it didn’t have all the 2 notes.

I feel like maybe all this tech should have been loaded into the 30 watt. A load box to dial in exact volumes and 2 notes IR out is pretty much the perfect mix of old and new. It would be expensive but there would be good reason for it.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
HUGE (and aging) Sabbath fan here--even had an SG with Cross inlays made for me :laugh2:. If this would have come out say 10 years ago, I would have been all over it.

I only play at home, so the lower wattage thing is very appealing to me.

I just did a currency conversion and i was amazed at how cheap it was $912(USD)--1.07 pound to the dollar?????

I'm set with amps now (I'm fact, I'm moving some out).

Latest Threads