Laminated MDF for templates

Bainzy

Reaction score
My workflow for template making so far has settled on using carbon paper to copy plans onto a plywood master, then make copies of the master template onto 13mm MDF for routing. If the copies get damaged or worn I can just make new ones from the master.

I have a small quantity of white covered MDF IKEA cover panels left over from when I fitted our kitchen a few years ago. They are massive, 2.4m x 0.6m x 13mm and although I over-ordered and should've returned them, it was such a pain trying to figure out how to return them (they don't fit in the car) I just kept them in the loft.

Is there any reason these wouldn't work well as material for ripping down and making MDF router templates? The only downside i can think of is that the laminated face might create a bit of a sharp edge to be careful of, when cut. The surface (faces) would be smoother than normal MDF but as soon as you make them, the sides would end up bare MDF as normal.

I imagine the superglue+masking tape trick should still work for attaching them despite them having a smoother face. Possibly a bit less friction for the router to glide on, but maybe that's an advantage?

Other than that I can't think of much else to do with them. MDF is rubbish as shelving in the UK in an unheated detached garage, because its 99% humidity for most of winter. It loves to warp and grow mould...

Joe Desperado

Reaction score
No problem. They will work Just fine. I use melamine from tie, to time, because it’s the right size for what I needed at the time.

the great waldo

Reaction score
My workflow for template making so far has settled on using carbon paper to copy plans onto a plywood master, then make copies of the master template onto 13mm MDF for routing. If the copies get damaged or worn I can just make new ones from the master.

I have a small quantity of white covered MDF IKEA cover panels left over from when I fitted our kitchen a few years ago. They are massive, 2.4m x 0.6m x 13mm and although I over-ordered and should've returned them, it was such a pain trying to figure out how to return them (they don't fit in the car) I just kept them in the loft.

Is there any reason these wouldn't work well as material for ripping down and making MDF router templates? The only downside i can think of is that the laminated face might create a bit of a sharp edge to be careful of, when cut. The surface (faces) would be smoother than normal MDF but as soon as you make them, the sides would end up bare MDF as normal.

I imagine the superglue+masking tape trick should still work for attaching them despite them having a smoother face. Possibly a bit less friction for the router to glide on, but maybe that's an advantage?

Other than that I can't think of much else to do with them. MDF is rubbish as shelving in the UK in an unheated detached garage, because its 99% humidity for most of winter. It loves to warp and grow mould...
Are you sure the IKea kitchen parts are mdf ? they are usually made from laminated chipboard and not mdf. If they are chipboard they're not going to be very long lasting. Mdf with some super glue to seal the edges would be better.
Cheers
Andrew

Bainzy

Reaction score
Thanks both that's great, melamine is the word I was looking for but couldn't remember, to describe the face.

Yes luckily they are MDF, the cupboard carcasses are chipboard but they do their doors and cover panels in melamine faced MDF.

Latest Threads