laminated fret board?

jamman

Reaction score
Maybe because there is no two piece rosewood ? 'Veneer' refers to the shape of the fretboard, not to the fact that they are made of 2 pieces !
Sorry , But nope . Most if not all , agree what a veneer is and means
You may be thinking "Radius"

Copied and pasted below :

Simple Definition of veneer

: a thin layer of wood or other material that is attached to the surface of something in order to make it look better

: a way of behaving or appearing that gives other people a false idea of your true feelings or situation

Source: Merriam-Webster's Learner's Dictionary

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Can you imagine the quandary that I would be in if Gibson had used laminated Brazilian Rosewood?
I'd probably go out of my mind. :run:

You would see me walking down the street, pushing a shopping cart, wearing tattered clothing, and constantly muttering; "It's Brazilian, but it's laminated", "It's Brazilian, but it's laminated."

.....and don't even get me started on Richlite vs Ebony.....

:laugh2:

KenG

Reaction score
Maybe a Braz layer laminated over the IRW to "Conserve" BRW and use it more sustainably.

Pappy58

Reaction score
Let's get technical on these terms:

Veneer; from Wikipedia
In woodworking, veneer refers to thin slices of wood, usually thinner than 3 mm (1/8 inch),[1] that typically are glued onto core panels (typically, wood, particle board or medium-density fiberboard) to produce flat panels such as doors, tops and panels for cabinets, parquet floors and parts of furniture. They are also used in marquetry. Plywood consists of three or more layers of veneer, each glued with its grain at right angles to adjacent layers for strength. Veneer beading is a thin layer of decorative edging placed around objects, such as jewelry boxes. Veneer is also used to replace decorative papers in Wood Veneer HPL. Veneer is also a type of manufactured board.

So a two piece fretboard is NOT veneer by this definition.

Lamination;
Lamination is the technique of manufacturing a material in multiple layers, so that the composite material achieves improved strength, stability, sound insulation, appearance or other properties from the use of differing materials. A laminate is a permanently assembled object by heat, pressure, welding, or adhesives.[1]

So this may be a good description of a richlite board, but not a two piece rosewood board.

All such fretboards are glued to the neck. It makes them stronger. I dont know about ya'll but I cannot count on both hands the number of Fenders I have seen with one piece maple necks that turned into boomerangs! :shock:

In my view Gibby made some quality instruments in 2012. Yes one can argue that from a historic perspective it's not accurate. So what?! I consider this to be like hide glue....if it has no effect on the look, sound or feel of the instrument it's inconsequential. :wave:

Flame Away! :cheers:

FKO

Reaction score
Let's get technical on these terms:

In my view Gibby made some quality instruments in 2012. Yes one can argue that from a historic perspective it's not accurate. So what?! I consider this to be like hide glue....if it has no effect on the look, sound or feel of the instrument it's inconsequential. :wave:

Flame Away! :cheers:
I don't recall anybody commenting that 2012 Historic being sub par in terms of quality; but i do see plenty of 2012 owners defending the quality (?!).

There are dogs in every year whether it's laminated or not; it's just that the laminated fret board doesn't sit well with Historic enthusiasts (online), nothing to do with quality.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Here's the link to the forum I saw about 2013 and 2014 models having laminated boards.
Where in that thread does anyone make specific reference to 2013/newer historics having the laminated board? I asked about 2013 historics having it at the other forum and Mark Bishop posted that all 2013s have a single slab. Mark is knowledgable and has ins. I would take his word over most others.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
virtually unplayable super duper wide neck, brass adjustable nut and zero fret,
It's actually quite playable, and the nut works great when upgraded to the nickel version Gibson sends out for free. I have quite a few guitars with zero frets and love every one of them. My high end Gretsch guitars do well with them.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I never said anything specific about historics. Just that it has been mentioned that 2013 and 2014s have been said to have 2 piece boards. No one will know until they remove their nut and look for it. Or if they can hear or feel a difference.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've bought/sold several Gibson guitars and every time I sell one I always get questions on the fretboard if the guitar was made after 2010. What type of wood and if it's two-piece. Every single reply. Never fails.
I buy and sell a LOT of Les Pauls, and have never been asked.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
I have a 2012 Traditional plus that I had thought had a 2 piece board. I was surprised when I replaced the nut with a TUSQ-XL and found it had a one piece board. Not that it mattered really as the guitar is a killer player. My trad + had and inspection card dated 1/31/2012 if that helps anyone with the timing on when they started the 2 piece boards.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Maybe because there is no two piece rosewood ? 'Veneer' refers to the shape of the fretboard, not to the fact that they are made of 2 pieces !
Oh. As Gilda Radner used to say, "never mind".

Guess I won't be posting a 2012 Reissue NGD thread in 46 years.

Just as well. I don't need another LP anyway.

Latest Threads