laminated fret board?

FKO

Reaction score
are norlin LPs getting collectible? isn't
it inflation cost or sellers inflating them to newbies?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Either way, they are. Old codgers don't necessarily love them, but a whole new generation does. I'm looking for one myself.

I'll use an example from my own personal experience. Back in the late 80s, I was too young and insolvent to do this myself, so I approached my older brother. There was a "Ferrari" Dino 246GTS for sale in the old Classic Auto Trader for 30k. I still have it somewhere. These weren't considered reaaaaaaal Ferraris. The Ferrari buffs called them glorified Fiats. Unpopular. Reaaaaaaal Ferraris have V8s or V12s. Not lowly V6s. Doesn't matter how they handle or look. And poseurs put Ferrari badges on them and pretend to own Ferraris. I told my brother that they will be going up in price. Ferraris are becoming collectable. He inquired, got a loan and at the last minute, backed out. He said no Fiat is going to be worth more than 30k. Not real. No one wants them. A year later, the same car sold for 300k. He's still kicking himself to this day.

I have a good eye for what ends up collectable and not, and have made some serious money off of it. I didn't buy this guitar to speculate. I just loved it and had to have it. But I hope the search function works on MPL in 10-20 years, because I'll necrobump this sucker. ;)

jamman

Reaction score
"worth more then they were new" ???? Please ...

No they ain't , Can't sell the New/leftover one's .

Nothing wrong with the guitars ,that I've ever seen posted .

But, 1 of the issues was calling them RI's , when No Gibson original LP was ever made have that type of FB ... And Imo, that' makes it 1 , that will never be a Wanted/desired /sought after guitar .
Think of it like a 80's (IIRC) maple FB LP . Asking big bucks for them , but who's buying 1 ????

All the other "implied" "problems have yet to be "seen"

If it's a good guitar you like and the price works for you ...

Should be considered for a possible buy ....

crossroadsnyc

Reaction score
Let me break it down for you:

1. Those who own a laminated fretboard will say it's just as good

2. Those who do not own a laminated fretboard will either say it's just as good since they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, or they'll tell you what's really on their mind which is that you should avoid it like HIV

The question then becomes … do you want HIV? If the answer is no, then avoid laminated fretboards.

* this whole thing really should be in purple, but you know, it's more fun when someone takes it seriously at first … but seriously, HIV can lead to AIDS, so be careful

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
So the ones who don't own one know better than the ones who do. Gotcha. Just like in all things.

I've heard that before about many collectables. Avoid. Not worth. This fretboard has a great story in the history of Gibson. Infamy can be a good thing.

And AFAIK, every pre-2013 has something that isn't accurate to the originals. And stuff you can see and hear. Wrong pots. Wrong bindings. Wrong wood. Wrong dye. Wrong pickups. Wrong glue. Yet the bugaboo that riles many the most is a two piece fretboard that doesn't effect performance or anything visually. Only on the internet. :facepalm:

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you're buying it to play you'll have no problems. Buying to re-sell, you might take a hit on the price due to what you see posted above. I'd have no problems with buying the right one. Same goes for other years. There's good and bad in every year.

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Obviously, time will tell........

Cars are NOT a good example of the guitar market, nor hold any validity in this discussion.
Apples and Oranges.

Rare/old, but undesirable, do not make for good bed fellows when collecting guitars.

Here are 4 examples:

LP Personal:

LP Marauder:

RD:

LP S-1:

In fact, the Personal is from 1969......it SHOULD be collectible (by age), but we don't see Joe Bonamassa bragging about how he just picked one up.

:D

pinefd

V.I.P. Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if anyone else mentioned this or not, but if the fingerboard has the older, swirly, acrylic type of inlays, then it likely has a one piece fingerboard. If it has the newer, cellulose nitrate inlays, then it likely has the laminated board.

Frank

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I think mine are celluloid. Just a guess, though. And based on serial.

Inlays are another good example of how things are overblown. I assume that the main reason Gibson used acrylic over celluloid inlays for the longest time was cost. No one makes a big deal of it despite being both historically and visually wrong. The main reason for the two piece fretboard that functions the same and can't be seen is that the government of the United States' jackboots seized all of their rosewood and ebony, yet that change is compared to HIV! Too funny. :D

Crotch

Skippy Handleman
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Inlays are another good example of how things are overblown. I assume that the main reason Gibson used acrylic over celluloid inlays for the longest time was cost. No one makes a big deal of it despite being both historically and visually wrong. The main reason for the two piece fretboard that functions the same and can't be seen is that the government of the United States' jackboots seized all of their rosewood and ebony, yet that change is compared to HIV! Too funny. :D
It gets a tad serious around these parts Rod.

RAG7890

Reaction score
The store around the corner from me (Nico Nico) can't give 2012's away. Its a shame, because some of them have killer tops and play great.

The only thing it does impact is the resale value. 2012's definitely go for a few hundred less than other years.

the only way to know for sure is to have the nut pulled.
..................only if she is a good looking Women. :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2: :naughty:

:cheers2:

RAG7890

Reaction score
Ya'll keep dreaming......

2012 laminated fret boards will NOT be a sought after collectible in the future.

There may, in fact, be nothing wrong with the laminated fret boards.....but, the negative stigma of such construction, will out weight their rarity.
:wave:
:thumb: :applause: :applause: :applause:

:cheers2:

crossroadsnyc

Reaction score
Let me break it down for you:

1. Those who own a laminated fretboard will say it's just as good

2. Those who do not own a laminated fretboard will either say it's just as good since they don't want to hurt anyone's feelings, or they'll tell you what's really on their mind which is that you should avoid it like HIV

The question then becomes … do you want HIV? If the answer is no, then avoid laminated fretboards.

* this whole thing really should be in purple, but you know, it's more fun when someone takes it seriously at first … but seriously, HIV can lead to AIDS, so be careful

Read the fine print (was a joke) ;)

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Heh. Well I DID say "too funny." So I'll claim to have noticed the fine print. ;)

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

No not overblown to the trained "Vintage Eye" The acrylic swirl inlays looked nice and were a good substitute, and the reason was ...Cellulose nitrate is extremely Flammable and it got nixed for federal regulations over shipping it as Hazardous Goods...I'm not quite sure thats the case anymore.

But with those older Cellulose inlays a vintage piece pops right out at you...the patterns that "Mazucelli" created at random for Gibson really draw you eye if you know what to look for....and from a distance too...

Start looking and comparing, you'll see what I mean...

I thought it was silly at first too....

The 13's and after are much closer but not quite the same as a Mazucelli creation...BTW look them up, they make eyeglasses frames and stuff ....

crossroadsnyc

Reaction score
Heh. Well I DID say "too funny." So I'll claim to have noticed the fine print. ;)
Ok, good, I'm glad you're not offended by it.

My honest response, however, is that w/rare exception (like exceptionally rare), a guitar should not be an investment in which you are anticipating any future returns (and even those rare exceptions are an enormous gamble). If you find a guitar w/a laminated fretboard that speaks to you, there is really no reason not to go for it. We only have a limited time on earth, and we should enjoy it. Forget the naysayers and do what feels right to you personally.

A good rule of thumb to go by? If you are concerned about the return on the investment (i.e. how much will i lose if i decide to flip it?), then it's not the right guitar to begin with. Patience can be difficult when GAS is involved, but the patience can also solve nearly all of questions / concerns.

Thomas/Sweden

Reaction score
The 2 piece board on my '12 Green Lemon R9 still sounds and plays great after 4 years. It's almost on par with the fretboards on my fantastic Japanese Les Paul copies. If you really like the guitar/it speaks to you and you don't worry too much about it's resale value and historical inaccuracy, I think you should go for it. If that's what you're thinking about.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the laminated fingerboard at all. It doesn't affect tone, playability or resale value. Refrets won't be a problem either.
Agree on everything but the resale value. I think it does affect resale. Its a one year thing where its "different" and not the same as the rest. Most believe that Its not a "improvement". Otherwise there wouldnt have been such a fuss and gibson wouldnt have changed it.

Its an anomoly and there should be a discount because of it. What that discount is is up to the buyer and the seller.

KenG

Reaction score
It will affect resale to a (small) portion of the buying public. I think forum mmbers have a misconception that we consitute a large portion of the buying public. There are all lot more buyers out there that are not forum members and who don not keep up on all this stuff. Lots of potential Gibson buyers know nothing about chambering vs weight relief, Hide glue vs titebond, condomless truss rods, light weighht tailpieces, nylon nuts, binding bleeding, period correct nitro etc. I've sold a few Gibsons and strangley this **** just doesn't come up.

ashbass

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
'97/'98 historics with the bridge pup in the wrong place. That's a cute anomaly that people will wistfully smile at on ebay in 50 years. "Remember when those were laughed at and gibson qc was ridiculed? Ah, now they're 10k."

HaHaHa, and mine's a goldtop to boot! Double rarity so 20K! Whooeeee. I'm buying some new shoes.

Latest Threads