laminated fret board?

JLH

Reaction score
looking at a 2012 R6, is there any chance this guitar has a laminated fret board?

Joe A

Reaction score
There is a chance.. 2012 is when they were doing that, but not all 2012's have the laminated board.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Most likely. Odds are yes. From what I've read, some very early 2012 Rs didn't.

I have a 2012 R9 and it doesn't matter much to me either way. Plays beautifully, and I love it more than I love most people.

Hardneck

Reaction score
I have a very early 2012 R0, I contacted Gibson and the response I received was they couldn't confirm at what point there was a change from one piece to laminate even with the Serial number. Best to assume it is, but TBH, it doesn't affect the sound / playability.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
2012 IS the dreaded laminated neck year....

But the only foreseeable issue with these are the re frets if needed in years to come.

Some boards are fuzzy or dont feel finished...I have had a few and they are fine.

TheX

Dirka Dirka
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the laminated fingerboard at all. It doesn't affect tone, playability or resale value. Refrets won't be a problem either.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
I've been a collector of many things over the years, and I could see what is "dreaded" in 2012 or even now could become coveted many years later because of their rarity. Cars that never were liked new like an Edsel are highly collectable now. Toys like a Stretch Armstrong Serpent that no one wanted in the 70s are now in the thousands of dollars. Same with misprints, double sided money, etc. The most expensive Star Wars figure is a vinyl caped Jawa. The cloth caped ones were cooler and more desirable at the time. In a future sea of one piece fingerboard Les Pauls/reissues, the two piece "outlaw" "scandal" "seized" "raid" fretboard models may increase in price because of their relative rarity, uniqueness in the history of Gibson, and having a cool "fight against the man" story behind them.

Or they may not. :dunno:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I can't see these ever being sought after, unless they are dirt cheap for a makeover, and the fretboard absolutely affects resale value. I don't think refrets are an actual concern.

modavis99

Reaction score
If you email Gibson with your serial number I think they can tell you if it is laminated. When I had a 2012 R9, I emailed Gibson and they told me it was a 2-piece board

RAG7890

Reaction score
Nothing wrong with the laminated fingerboard at all. It doesn't affect tone, playability or resale value. Refrets won't be a problem either.
.........twice as good as a single layer FB. :laugh2: :laugh2:

FWIW it does impact resale. That is a lock, regardless of whether there is any audible difference or not, which there isn't of course.

:cheers2:

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score
.........twice as good as a single layer FB. :laugh2: :laugh2:

FWIW it does impact resale. That is a lock, regardless of whether ther is any audible difference or not, which there isn't of course.

:cheers2:
The store around the corner from me (Nico Nico) can't give 2012's away. Its a shame, because some of them have killer tops and play great.

Falconbill

Reaction score
I've been a collector of many things over the years, and I could see what is "dreaded" in 2012 or even now could become coveted many years later because of their rarity. Cars that never were liked new like an Edsel are highly collectable now. Toys like a Stretch Armstrong Serpent that no one wanted in the 70s are now in the thousands of dollars. Same with misprints, double sided money, etc. The most expensive Star Wars figure is a vinyl caped Jawa. The cloth caped ones were cooler and more desirable at the time. In a future sea of one piece fingerboard Les Pauls/reissues, the two piece "outlaw" "scandal" "seized" "raid" fretboard models may increase in price because of their relative rarity, uniqueness in the history of Gibson, and having a cool "fight against the man" story behind them.

Or they may not. :dunno:
You might want to look into those "lawsuit" Japanese guitars. :laugh2:

BigDipper15

Hack Guitarist
Reaction score
The only thing it does impact is the resale value. 2012's definitely go for a few hundred less than other years.

the only way to know for sure is to have the nut pulled.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
A lot of them are worth much more than they were new. Plus there were a ton of them and they were popular. Only 1 production year of Gibson "lawsuit" guitars.

Look at the original 58-60 Les Pauls. No one wanted them. They stopped production and came out with the SG because they were that unpopular.

Norlins are becoming the new collectable LPs. Could you imagine if they only made the pancake/3 piece bodies for 1 year? Those would be highly highly collectable now.

Initial unpopularity plus low volume create collectability.

Frogfur

Reaction score
TQnother fretboard post?..i have one. They are fine. Just anothet voodo post.

alnico59

Reaction score
IMO comparing the 2012 (multi pieced fret board) guitars to other objects that were not popular in their debut but then became popular later on is a false comparison.

Those other products, such as 50's - 60's LP's, were unpopular because the consumer did not choose them over other guitars available during that time period. Not because they had production flaws.

A multi pieced fret board is not the norm. Period. Gibson even admitted that. It was not an improvement or a new design route. It was a cut back do to legal problems and wood sourcing issues.

Would I buy the right 2012 LP? Yes. But I would expect to pay less because it has an abnormal condition when compared to other guitars in the same line. The market makes adjustments for that and it's ok.

Can a 2012 Gibson guitar be an awesome player? Yes. I have a 2010 Traditional LP which hangs out with my two historic LP's everyday.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Again, that abnormality is what will make it potentially collectable in the future. It doesn't have to make it better to be collectable. Just different and relatively rare. There are collector guns that no one wanted because they blew up in the shooters face. Now very collectable.

LPCollector

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Ya'll keep dreaming......

2012 laminated fret boards will NOT be a sought after collectible in the future.

There may, in fact, be nothing wrong with the laminated fret boards.....but, the negative stigma of such construction, will out weight their rarity.
:wave:

FKO

Reaction score
Ya'll keep dreaming......

2012 laminated fret boards will NOT be a sought after collectible in the future.

There may, in fact, be nothing wrong with the laminated fret boards.....but, the negative stigma of such construction, will out weight their rarity.
:wave:
Yup and unless somebody can delete all the negative posts regarding them on all the guitars related forums. It will probably be tough to go above inflation cost when selling 10-20 years from now.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
The negative stigma of now means nothing to a collector's market in the future. Norlin Les Pauls are becoming highly collectable now, qnd their construction techniques are much more egregious and visible then a unseen fingerboard seem.

I could hear you saying that in 61 about Les Pauls. I could hear you say that in 71 about Norlins, and I could hear you say that in 81 about T-Tops.

Latest Threads