Lady Gaga.....holy %#^&@!

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would do anything LGG asked me do, even sing American Pie, although there are two notes I can't actually hit anymore.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Same here. I was being goofy. But now I can jam the shit out of it. (And I'm not sure it's ironically)
P.S did you know Alanis was a kid star singer up here in Canuckistan? she was just called Alanis her teen idol stuff is cute but hilariously cheesy its on youtube and shes always had that unique voice and shes not a bad guitar player. and LAdy Gagas pretty good as well.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score
Last night at band practice we decided it would be fun to tackle I Wish by Stevie Wonder. So as always I started surfing around looking for different versions ...cause I will steal anything I can lol...with a song like this there are so many layers that I'm going to have to amalgamate parts on guitar. So, I came across this video of Lady Gaga. WOW! She's rockin' it, funkin' it....full out.

That was simply wonderful, damn she’s got chops

krauley

Reaction score
Hey, don't look at me, I didn't record it. :)

Will Smith has ruined some pretty good beats in his day.

Fresh Prince of Belair was awesome though.
without Carlton that show doesnt fly

Malikon

He got joo joo eyeballs
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey, don't look at me, I didn't record it. :)

Will Smith has ruined some pretty good beats in his day.

Fresh Prince of Belair was awesome though.

still like it, don't care. :laugh2:

NotScott

Reaction score
I am not a fan of pop culture and don't follow it. The wife does though. She was watching something one day and I heard the singing and piano playing and was impressed enough to ask the wife who that was. When she told me, I was shocked. There was an interview later and she sounded nothing like the spoiled, overrated, Hollywood creation I expected. She sounded very real, very intelligent and very honest. I am still not a fan of her music but she deserves utmost respect.

defcrew

Reaction score
She is really good. It's also crazy that she didn't need to change the key. Stevie has a pretty impressive range.
True. We covered that a few years back when we had a sax player and I had to drop it down a step. I've found that most of the really good singers or famous ones have higher voices than it may seem. Tried to cover Stand Back by the ABB and was surprised how high Gregg's voice was. Lady GaGa is quite a talent....Stevie and gregg not too bad either.

defcrew

Reaction score
I was avoiding this like the plague in 95-96. I was way into AiC, Pantera, that kind of stuff. Although now I can appreciate the talent she has and how well Jagged Little Pill was engineered. Also she has aged VERY well.
Great album. Until i worked in a record store in the mall (remmeber record stores? remember malls?) I really had little appreciation for pop music. I thought the Stones, ABB, Rory Gallagher, Parliament, Bonnie Raitt, etc., hung the moon. But I realized that lots of the pop stuff is pretty darn good and since then have always kind of rolled my eyes at the out of hand dismissal of something just because it is popular. I thought AM's Jagged Little Pill was fantastic at the time an dcaught tons of shit for it just as I did for liking Sheila E, Sheryl Crow, etc., from my rocker buddies. Lots of pop stuff is really no more formulaic than the uniform of nonconformity music.

emerald81

Reaction score
She has a good vocal but I like more when she sing pop music. Now shes done and do wherever she want in other styles.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Cool! We are now covering Lady Gaga, covered by Alice Cooper. This song goes over incredibly well done this way. We do it pretty much dead on except our singer actually sings it. LOL

defcrew

Reaction score
I love the horns! But....
If you listen to @ about 3:13 of that lady Gaga video you hear the rhythm section fall apart. It’s the exciting climax of the song and everyone wants to rush a bit....but they are playing to a click, or probably only the drummer is playing to a click and he can’t hold them back. Just an observation!

Also I found that some of the drummer’s fills were not in the pocket....real awkward one in the Doo-doo-doo breakdown.

No....It's her performance that blew me away. Not just her singing , but watching her just unabashedly move and groove, pound the keys....her arms flailing, feet a-stompin'....just delivered it!

The band is guitar, keys, bass, drums and a lead vocal. Everyone else except the drummer sings too.

So the keyboard player is going to have the hardest job, but he's a great player and has great dirty tine and brass sounds. He's going to do the main wurly part and the horn parts. For me, I'm going to play the faux guitar plucking line which I started practicing....very interesting part to play on guitar. Stevie played it on keys and there are scads of grace notes and funny slips and articulations that make it funky as shit. But then I think I will also re-enforce horn shots and lines with chord shots in the midst of that.

Here's Stevie Wonder's original tracks broken down in stems for anyone interested in that kind of thing. I uploaded this for the guys in the band to reference.

https://app.box.com/s/anlgkk8124433s7llyt56f2j4z9efd08
Yeah, I don't know what you call the timing on the drums but I call them little half skips = groove killers. The power of a "straight" beat on something like this is like a runaway steam roller. Honestly, hiow could this band not sound good? There's no telling how many top drawer players and singers behind her. What i like is how she plays it raw, flippantly...almost a Jagger like vocal. She's real, no doubt. This song has one of the all time great funk bass lines. Somebody mentioned Boogie on Reggae Woman. That song is the one that opened my ears and eyes to the power of funk back about 1973. Will never forget the first time I heard it.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've been a Gaga fan, since before the "Gaga" days. Yea, first, let's get it out of the way... Would! In a big way.

Now, talent... it's overflowing. Always has been. Writing. Arranging. Performing. Top shelf.

But, the real girl is inside Stefani, way back... you can just feel how amazing she is: