lacquer advice please

Dolebludger

Reaction score
Brek,

Sorry about this problem with your buyer, and the damage to the guitar upon return. And I am even more sorry that your wife ORDERED you to sell some of your guitars. She certainly must have known that you played guitar before you were married. She should appreciate that music is a nice, clean, and respectable advocation, and one that costs less than many other activities. I hope that something about this incident may have shown her that your guitar playing is indeed a good thing. Fortunately, my wife has no problem with my playing (or my trying to do so)., She knows that when I am playing, she at least knows where I am! She told me if I am somewhere and see something I want, just buy it. Except if the price is $10,000 or more, she wants me to call her so she can move sone money around to cover it., I thought, $10,000 or more? Good God, I have never bought anything fir that much, and never will. But according to her, I could.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks man, she has, and the fact she actually bought it of me to give to me is mind blowing. I am sad it's got damaged, more because of the implications than the actual dents, it must have suffered more than one bump to do what caused the damage, 1st one breaks the toggle switch, then next one causes the broken bits to press into the finish. The guy as far as I am concerned is a grade A ******, if I had mistakenly thought something was fake and returned it, I would have made good the damage knowing I was in the wrong, and my actions were responsible for the damage by returning a perfectly good guitar.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Reaction score
I've just sold my last guitar on eBay. From here on out, it will be here or TPG... no exceptions. I haven't sold on eBay in a while, but I was sweating bullets the whole time on the LP that I sold there last week. Luckily, the buyer left "nice guitar" in the positive feedback. It's too risky now. It's essentially a free test drive for the buyer... at the seller's expense. Don't like the feel of the neck? No problem! Just hack a few dings into the back and say that they weren't disclosed. Don't dig the tone? No worries. Just disconnect a few wires and say that the pickup doesn't work. Great for buyers. A potential nightmare for the seller.

I sold a laser printer years ago. I received a beat-up version of the same printer in return. Absolutely nothing that I could do. Luckily, I've had good luck in my run selling guitars there. Time to get while the gettin' is good.

DharmaBum

Reaction score
Very nice looking guitar. Your wife sounds like a keeper, for sure. Bummer about the buyer and subsequent damage. I'll echo the sentiment in some of the earlier responses that perhaps the dings can be liberating in a way, in that you don't have to worry about it any more. For me, that's one of the big upsides of a used or reliced guitar. If the dings do bother you, I suspect they could be steamed out. The luthier's corner could advice. I seem to recall posts in the past with larger dings that were undetectable after repair. I was impressed with how good the repairs came out.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know how to sort them, steam is not the way with a finished guitar though, it just melts the lacquer and does not expand the wood, I have used steam successfully on bare wood. I am not going to fix them, going to do a light relic on it next year, in the mean time experimenting with ways of getting a flat finish that looks natural, the patina of old lacquer is sublime and an art form in itself to recreate I reckon. Only aged Finnish I have seen that looks convincing are the HM ones. Not saying there aren’t others out there I just have not seen any.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Brek ever hear back from Gibson?
Hey man, sorry fella, just read this, yes they got back to me within 48 hours of me asking to confirm the obvious, which we all new, that it is a 2018 R8 in Honey Lemon Fade.

Latest Threads