lacquer advice please

Lemonburst R8

Reaction score
Why would you ever want to sell such a great guitar I have a 13’ R8 I bought new play the shit out of it Take it any and everywhere worry free has a great set up Nice fat neck I dont clean it and it sounds fantastic Dont sweat the small stuff Play on

Crotch

Triggered
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Selling guitars sucks. I'm so glad to be done with it. Maybe he wanted a gig rental.

Calling this fake or having "alarm bells" is the dumbest thing I have heard. Nothing wrong with it at all. And it looks great. (Pickguard on :naughty: )

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
did I miss how much it sold for?

Very nice guitar and as legit as can be
i didn't post selling price I accepted £2890 for it. in between original postage when i bought it and further two trips i have spent £100 in postage, jeez.

50 Watts

Reaction score
I am very sorry to hear about your selling experience. That is clearly an authentic R8 (dye bleed, variance in binding coloration neither of which I've ever seen faked) and a beautiful one at that. I agree with the others that it is unfair that Ebay (and Reverb) typically side with the buyer even when they are unreasonable and / or fraudulent. I would fight it if you have it in you.

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is nothing to fight, that is the sad reality. ebay have there policy, which even though its not enforcable in english law if you use their platform, you agree to those terms. as for civil the courts are so backed up i doubt its worth it.

Joe A

Reaction score
The person telling you there are issues with that guitar is probably someone trying to verify their own Chibson. Tell him you bought it on Ali Express just for laughs

emerald81

Reaction score
Its a cool les paul that you have, dont think to much on that details.

Lovely r8 and tall frets are the best, kick ass!

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You shipped with insurance, right? File an insurance claim with the shipping company--UPS, USPS, FedEx, etc. That guitar was damaged in transit.

InvalidUserName

Reaction score
That's just not right, mate. That's a great looking guitar, and if that's fake, then I know nowt about Les Pauls. I certainly wouldn't worry about the markings on the back if buying second-hand, always nervous playing a case queen live. Yes, it's true, collection only tends to depress the price (smaller pool of potential buyers, etc), but wouldn't have my first LP without that deal. But I've had my licence taken away as my brain has decided to go on vacation every so often, so I can't drive atm, and any ideas I had about downsizing and picking up a reissue have to be put on hold, but one day, oh yes, one day....

geddy

Reaction score
Similar thing happened to a friend of mine. The world is full of assholes.
It's a great looking guitar; just whats on my next purchase list.

Svet

Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune! This is why I refuse to ship guitars and all sales are cash and carry. I meet at a local guitar shop where they may plug in and give it a test run. I make them come to me in order to take away their ability to lowball at the deal. This way when they show up after agreeing on a price they won’t pull the old trick and claim they only have x amount to buy it. If that happens I can say see ya and I am only a few minutes from my home.

kakerlak

Reaction score
This is an interesting case (and man am I sorry it happened to you), b/c it seems the buyer is claiming counterfeit goods, which is something potentially possible to prove false, rather than something murkier like "condition not as described" that could hinge on claims only provable with the instrument in hand, like bad frets, etc. I suppose it would get into whether the buyer was acting in bad faith or out of ignorance in making that claim, though, in either case, a "sorry, pay up" result might be the outcome. But, setting aside all the hypothetical and hindsight, I think we all kind of know nobody's home at eBay as far as talking to an intelligent, well-informed person capable of weighing nuance, rather than rattling off canned responses that probably don't even fit the scenario well. Glad you got the guitar back relatively safe and sound -- a broken headstock would've been the ultimate insult to injury.

I do wonder whether, regardless of making you whole, eBay might have any interest in restricting the buyer from future purchases over this conduct. Again, I kind of assume nobody's home, but it would be nice to subtract them from the pool of potential buyers.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear of your misfortune! This is why I refuse to ship guitars and all sales are cash and carry. I meet at a local guitar shop where they may plug in and give it a test run. I make them come to me in order to take away their ability to lowball at the deal. This way when they show up after agreeing on a price they won’t pull the old trick and claim they only have x amount to buy it. If that happens I can say see ya and I am only a few minutes from my home.
Make them come to me is normally what I do, I really don’t know what I was thinking with this whole bizarre situation. I have filed it under lesson learnt.

in reply to karawak, it this instance I did get to speak to someone ‘intelligent’ at eBay, mainly because of the value, they have a dept called, returns risk or something like that. He understood the issue perfectly and I emailed him the authentication from Gibson. He stated that they take the buyers word in all cases, as they are not able to do independent verification. I asked about the damage and why in their messages to me they say return delivered please inspect if there is no option for them to do anything. This to be fair is the first such occurrence on eBay in 5 years selling and £30k of sales. Not sure what to do now, I want them sold as have my heart set on a Terry Morgan, but likely not going to happen.

Last edited:

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Ebay's lame return policy made me dump them ages ago .. never again

kakerlak

Reaction score
Make them come to me is normally what I do, I really don’t know what I was thinking with this whole bizarre situation. I have filed it under lesson learnt.

in reply to karawak, it this instance I did get to speak to someone ‘intelligent’ at eBay, mainly because of the value, they have a dept called, returns risk or something like that. He understood the issue perfectly and I emailed him the authentication from Gibson. He stated that they take the buyers word in all cases, as they are not able to do independent verification. I asked about the damage and why in their messages to me they say return delivered please inspect if there is no option for them to do anything. This to be fair is the first such occurrence on eBay in 5 years selling and £30k of sales. Not sure what to do now, I want them sold as have my heart set on a Terry Morgan, but likely not going to happen.
What's interesting/scary here is "the buyer's word" in this case amounts to a criminal complaint against you. You'd think, if the buyer is being taken at their word that you're selling/shipping counterfeit goods, then the goods themselves should've been confiscated, held as evidence and some sort of legal action taken against you. I just feel like there's no middle ground here -- if the accusation is the guitar is counterfeit, that can't just go mostly unchecked yet still sufficient to warrant a refund/return. Obviously it's genuine and much of what I've said constitutes a nightmare scenario, but it feels wild they let such a serious, criminal accusation stand and then, at the same time, kind of treat it like it's not as serious as it is.

skydog

Reaction score
Were all these areas of contention shown in the ebay listing?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well those issues were in his head, I cannot see the future and what people see. I listed the guitar to show it off to its best, as there were zero defects I had nothing to hide/show. Body ‘was’ 100% mark free, like new, all lacquer perfect, perfect finish, every ‘issue’ he raised was non existent. The images he sent me showing these issues showed simply what the listing showed, A perfectly in spec guitar. I attach the images he sent showing the evidence of lacquer faults, overspray on binding that proves its fake, as the binding is a different colour underneath (his words) some of the images I have no idea what the supposed fault is being shown. I have an amazing wife who, knowing it was a counterfeit piece of **** bought it off me and gave it me for Christmas. At 55 I thought I was past her making me cry. But she can still pull that shit.
673D5120-1F19-483C-8C7E-6C0782BD2D59.jpeg

He also stated there was no lacquer bleed, clearly visible here.
17A18F7E-E1CC-4789-BA08-3E34254DBE02.jpeg
5A4680FD-2E40-41C4-ADE3-E43871E0029B.jpeg
F1FD6997-CFAD-4D12-BD61-A5B463E3ECC6.jpeg
1DB427EF-9463-4125-BDC8-33565BB19E48.jpeg

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here is the start of its metamorphosis into Greeny.

41188930-AD92-4AAA-B23E-9DBBB3234903.jpeg

Georgiatec

Reaction score
If I was a genuine buyer, I would never expect or insist that a private seller risk posting such a valuable guitar. In 2015 I bought 4 historics in a month and travelled from Manchester to Glasgow, then a week later down to Devon, up to Blyth in the North East and finally to Chester. The road trips were all part of the experience. I met the people selling the guitars, checked them over, played them, exchanged anecdotes. When I was happy, paid in cash and parted company.
The UK is small enough that people will travel, especially if it means saving on what would be shop price.
If you decide to sell it in the future, trial and collection only, no Paypal, cash only. It may take longer to sell, but the deal will be done between two musicians, with a hand shake, elbow bump, tip of the hat or whatever. Piss takers will not bother you.

Latest Threads