lacquer advice please

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I get a reply from Gibson confirming what we all knew, it is genuine, built it 2018. the buyer has damaged the guitar in three places on the back, one on the headstock and broke the switch tip, and possibly more have not had a really close look yet. What a world we live in.
1368B9A1-3ADE-44F9-8F3C-65C14F3B7372.jpeg
079BD487-95A0-4B98-BD20-CD7EC474D4FD.jpeg
84FFCF12-E097-42A1-B826-AAD9C998C441.jpeg
82804A58-F715-4FDD-88FD-24A282414178.jpeg
8EC54C41-14C2-4D58-9ECB-D2CD818AB371.jpeg

Attachments

Last edited:

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
My deepest condolences, Brek. Sounds like you are getting screwed without getting kissed.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My deepest condolences, Brek. Sounds like you are getting screwed without getting kissed.
I am traumatised, how can someone behave like this? It looks now like he has damaged it and though, sod it, i'll send it back.

I did a lot digging into where this guitar came from, after he made out it was a fake, its had four owners prior to this guy, over two years, thats multiple owners and postings no doubt, and no one put a mark on it, not one even tiny dint, this tool has it one week and fucks it. I am waiting to speak to someone in ebay U.K. as I am at this point looking to refund him minus substantial damages, every time i get a call off them its from india, and they have no idea what i am talking about.

I will never get what the guitar was worth if I decide to put it on the market again.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I am putting this episode behind me. Letting it go. Filed under lesson learnt.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Damn....that sucks ....nice guitar....

Tell him to repeat after me ....

"Owa Tana Siam"

Jerk...

sorry you had to go through this

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all this. Do you think it’s possible that the broken pieces of switch tip could have left those indentations on the back if they were loose in the case during return shipping?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about all this. Do you think it’s possible that the broken pieces of switch tip could have left those indentations on the back if they were loose in the case during return shipping?
Anythings possible, yes that could be the cause, which if is the case, is because of him, as he returned a perfectly good guitar unnecessarily and left the switch on the guitar instead of removing it like Gibson do when the ship them. All I know is this is how a pristine guitar with no issues whatsoever went to sent him was returned to me.

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Perfectly legit and normal. The “buyer” of your R8 doesn’t know his @$$ from a hole in the ground (or he’s been trying to scam you from the start). Sorry to hear about this. Fight back, the guy‘s a tool!

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It’s back, I have refunded, there is nothing to fight, buyer really didn’t like that odd looking wood near the neck heal joint, that golden ripple, it’s grain, but he is having non of it. eBay from my conversation with them this a.m. always side with buyer.

I have drawn conclusion that damage has sadly been done in transit. They smoking gun is the bits of switch tip in the case. What is concerning is how much heavy handling has this poor guitar endured at the hand of parcel force for those bits to have caused those dents. I am thinking it has 1: fallen over right onto tip area as is highest point. And 2; has been on the bottom of a very heavy pile of stuff. I in truth I feel I cannot sell it now as will take a loss if I do as cannot be anything but be honest with a buyer, that it has been sold and returned and damaged on return journey. which has pretty much nuked my goal of a replica. c'est la vie.

none2low

Reaction score
This is all totally sucks and I'm really sorry it happened to you.

But... Don't write off being able to sell it without taking a loss just yet.

If I were in the market for an R8, the few indents would not deter me at all from a purchase. Nor would I expect any huge discounts because of them either. Others may feel differently, but I believe the type of buyer that expects perfection on a used instrument are the minority and not the majority.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My wife has seen how this has affected me, I was starting to become non functional. I have done very little these last two days. So she has actually bought me the guitar for Christmas, Oh and someone from the forum has offered to send me a free switch tip. Thankyou. I feel humbled and grateful.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
My wife has seen how this has affected me, I was starting to become non functional. I have done very little these last two days. So she has actually bought me the guitar for Christmas, Oh and someone from the forum has offered to send me a free switch tip. Thankyou. I feel humbled and grateful.
Your wife sounds like an absolute treasure! Hope this happy outcome helps you to have good feelings about the guitar again and forget all the needless aggravation from the buyer. With or without a few little marks, it’s a beautiful guitar to have for sure.

When I buy a used guitar, a little mark here and there helps me to be not too scared to actually play the thing as can sometimes be the case with pristine like-new case queens, so it’s not something that would scare me off buying provided the seller was honest and upfront about condition as the general consensus on the used market is that noticeable dings and scratches affects the price to some degree, though not necessarily massively...

Those indentations that have been left on your guitar aren’t ugly in any way. Maybe a few more dings and scratches from playing along with some genuine buckle worming etc will give it real character - until it eventually resembles Greeny post Gary Moore!

I guess it’s all personal perspective, and how you feel about your guitar being a little dinged up vs perfect is of course entirely valid and your own prerogative.

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
A used instrument with those tiny dings wouldn’t discourage me from a purchase..... nor would I feel compelled to get a price break....

.....I might be alone with that opinion though.

Farnsbarns

Reaction score
What a story! May I suggest, with the money from the other sales (and perhaps saving for a while?) Send this beautiful R8 to historic makeovers. Fix all the damage, neck reset fixes any worries about it's handling and upgrade to a complete makeover while you're at it?

Don't mind me. I enjoy spending other people money .

Sharky

Reaction score
did I miss how much it sold for?

Very nice guitar and as legit as can be

CMCB

Reaction score
The little lawyer dude in me says: I would contact eBay and demand (sorry, I mean request) the sale go through to protect sellers from fraudulent purchasers as (1) the items is exactly what it is reported to be and not counterfeit as authenticated from Gibson, the manufacture; (2) the item has been damaged in multiple places by the buyer (at least need the devalued value); and (3) the buyer used fraud to claim the product was unauthentic.

Latest Threads