lacquer advice please

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could someone advise if these pics show any issues with the laquer? As someone is questioning the authenticity of my R8. It is a 2018 R8 with the tall frets, this is what they say 'thick overspray on to the nut, its on both sides and is solid finish. The colour of the binding doesn't match, and the top of the neck binding is bright white and not aged or with any bleed' all of which in my experience is how they should be. I think the area i have highlighted is what his 'expert' mate thinks is lacquer lifting 'under the ' lacquer, it looks to me like the natural flaw in wood, nothing on the other side.
1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg

Last edited:

MikeyV

Reaction score
You're good, all that stuff is normal and looks like any other Reissue Les Paul.

-that lacquer line at the nut is normal, from taping it off/cleaning it up.
-the top of teh binding is white because it's not covered with yellowish lacquer.
-I do see bleed from teh neck up closer to the body joint. Also normal.

Let's see the whole thing!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah what i thought, oh well, thanks ebay its on its way back to me.

none2low

Reaction score
Yeah, everything looks normal there. The top of the binding is white from scraping and rolling, as that's done after the lacquer is sprayed. The grain area at the heel looks like it took the dye a little different. Overspray on the nut is typical on any Gibson.

Sounds like a case of buyers remorse and not anything to do with the actual guitar. Sorry to hear this!!

This is one of the reasons I stopped selling on Ebay years ago. They will side with the buyer, every time, no matter how ridiculous of a claim is made. :mad2:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, well its a bugger cos I was selling the lot to buy one my one 'truly great guitar'. I am kicking myself as my auctions are strictly collection only and this guy seemed so keen I let my soft side make the decision. lesson learnt.

none2low

Reaction score
What was it about the R8 that didn't fall into the "great guitar" category? Could something as simple as a pickup swap or refret take it from being good to great?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is a truly excellent guitar as is, the tall narrow frets are a new thing for me, but I cope with them fine, it was tuned to Eflat and sounded as good as any reissue les Paul I have ever played. They are all selling because I have been told by the wife to do so or I’ll be single in short order. So given she has not specified what to do with the money, and allied to the fact she is ok with one expensive guitar I thought why not go balls to the wall and get either a 50’s goldtop (unlikely in U.K. as they are overpriced) or what some people think is as good as, a replica, from any of the known names, Singlecut seemed to have a following (Grhs) so am looking for something like that. However selling this price range of guitars is problematic, I remember the absolute ball ache selling the two pages on eBay, years back, got absolutely tortured by people about them, people asking where I got them, how come I had two, haters, I lost the plot with them in the end and became a very grumpy seller, so some people got replies from me that weren’t warranted. Happy times, lol. I would be delighted to keep them all. But regret that I will not be allowed to.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
By the pics, that is a damn nice guitar.

It's lacquer and wood. Nothing is ever going to be so-called "perfect", and that's about as nice as a Historic model as I've seen. The lighter scraped area on the top of the binding is how they are. And an excellent job of it, I might add.

none2low

Reaction score
Well that's a bummer, but perhaps the R8 returning home is a blessing in disguise. Personally, I might end up divorced if I was given the ultimatum to sell all but one, or else... Women spend so much money on other things from shoes, to purses, to jewelry, perfume, etc that hold no appreciable value over the long run. I take solace in knowing that my guitars will still be worth something once I'm dead and gone.

Maybe you can gently remind the wife that women tend to live longer than men and that all those guitars, well... :rofl:

Another thought, if vintage is out due to price, and the R8 is as good as any. What about hunting down a nice set of PAF's or Pat# - PAF spec pickups. I would venture a guess you will get more out of those in the long run, over a high end replica and could probably save some money in the process. Not that there aren't some great replica's out there, but there will never be more PAF's.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all, appreciate the sentiments. Paf’s and the like are one thing I know enough about to know not to even go there too much risk for me. I have found someone who can help me buy a good TM if the moneys there, which is looking less likely. This has left me thinking how the hell do you sell a reissue? I sold those double cuts no bother all left pos feedback. I have a listing that says collection only, please inspect/play the guitar to make sure it’s right. I mean how more open can I be? I am awaiting a reply from Marcelo at Gibson’s customer services dept as need to send this to eBay, as my seller rating maybe impacted, as the guy hasn’t just raised a ‘not as described case’, he has raised it as a counterfeit item. Some dept called EBay claims risk is dealing with the return, I need to call them tomorrow. Anyway I’m am not stressing about it, as I know it’s legit. But, just, damn.

none2low

Reaction score
Really sorry to hear about all that. Some people just suck!!

Good luck with everything.

ARandall

Reaction score
I am awaiting a reply from Marcelo at Gibson’s customer services dept as need to send this to eBay, as my seller rating maybe impacted, as the guy hasn’t just raised a ‘not as described case’, he has raised it as a counterfeit item.

Now he's playing the game trying to get you to pay for return postage as well. Given the buyer knows damn well its not counterfeit I'd be hitting back just as hard.

If ebay needs a report, link this thread with its responses......maybe adding in a pic with the ser# (perhaps smudge out a digit)

geddy

Reaction score
That's nice. How chunky is the neck?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
its chunky, more so than the current vogue carmelita neck carve on the '59's, it is not as chunky as my R6 and R9 which have the early 50's style neck, that is big chunky. I have small hands and when I got back into playing in earnest, I wasn't a fan initially of the big necks, but after playing either of them now when I go back to the R0 it feels really cheap and weedy which is kinda funny. the R0 is more akin to a strat or tele neck.

6AD28894-6B9A-4D09-9C74-78DA471187F3.jpeg

Last edited:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The serial number is one of the things he states is ringing alarm bells. View attachment 500266 View attachment 500267
That's a beautiful R8 in a lovely lemon....... This guitar is exactly as it should be....From the Serial to the Finish...nothing is out of sorts.... if you were in the US i would be very interested.

When people have to spend a lot of money (especially at this point of the covid situation where money becomes difficult to part with for these things),... they become more suspicious and shy.

I wish you luck.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
I saw this guitar when it was first listed. It is clearly not a counterfeit, and there are no issues I can see with the finish etc... Hope this nonsense gets sorted out and that you don’t have to pay the return shipping in the end.

Collection only listings seem like a good way to avoid this sort of hassle, but I have observed that instruments listed without a shipping option usually sell for significantly less as it really narrows the pool of prospective buyers.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah I know it's way harder will collection only. i have amended my listings, i will personally deliver if asking price is met upto 150 miles give or take. I am kicking myself for posting it, it was not in my auction terms as an option.

Latest Threads