Lab Series L5

pillbug

Reaction score
Damn that's a steal. I went and checked one out somewhat locally (about an hour away). It was one of the best sounding amps I've ever heard, clean. But unfortunately the compression/drive or whatever did not seem to function properly so I passed on getting it. An hour later I get home and the guy texts me back saying he fixed the issue. I was too lazy to drive back there and get it. So for me, it's one of those "one that got away" amps.

Enjoy!!

DrBGood

Reaction score
Some tone observations.

Multifilter acts like a gain knob. For now ...

Frequency knob is like a manual wah. Pretty interesting feature. The more you use the EQ (bass/midrange/treble), the more effect it has on the frequency knob. If all EQ is at noon, the frequency knob provides no perceptible change.

Just like a tube amp, when volume is cranked it really saturates the tone. I'd have to get the amp outside to crank the master. I think all the fauna in a few km around would run for their lives, not counting neighbors. Inside at 2, you can't hear a human voice.

If master is cranked and volume controlled, it is unbelievably clean AND loud, hence the Twin or Super Reverb comparisons I guess (I never played either).

I think you could dial ANY tone you'd want on this amp. I'll try to replicate the ones I like on my other amps, then I might start to feel how to work it out. It is so ... complete as an amp, I feel like it's the ultimate modeler.

More later ...

jojo

Reaction score
Great amps, first 3 King's X records Ty Tabor used Lab Series.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Congrats, a very cool amp. I’ve read nothing but good things about Labseries amps.

A good looking amp also. Like to see your finish detailing photos.

Great find and a great price.

Latest Threads