Kyle Busch donates guitars to school

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Busch To Donate Guitars To Students
Kyle Busch will donate unsmashed guitars to students.

Nashville – Kyle Busch has donated $30,000 to buy 150 guitars for some local schools, apparently as atonement for smashing a classic Gibson guitar in an embarrassing “rock star-style celebration” after a June Nationwide victory.

But Busch refuses to put his mouth where his money is.

He declines to apologize for the guitar-smashing incident that drew widespread criticism and added to his image as the brat-boy of racing.

Prior to a race two weeks ago at Nashville’s Fairgrounds Speedway Busch was asked if, in retrospect, he regretted the June 6 incident.

He said no, he didn’t. One of his PR handlers heatedly confronted and cursed a reporter for asking Busch the question.

Since then it was announced that the Kyle Busch Foundation has donated $30,000 to the National Alliance for Public Education toward the purchase of 150 guitars to be donated to several Nashville schools.

The trophy Gibson guitar Busch destroyed was valued at over $2,500 without the artwork of renowned NASCAR artist Sam Bass. A spokesman for the Gibson guitar company said the Bass artwork made the guitar “priceless and irreplaceable.”

Shortly after the incident Busch told Bass he “meant no disrespect,” but Bass said he was “shocked and heartbroken” to see the guitar repeatedly dashed to the concrete in Victory Circle.

Track vice president/general manager Cliff Hawks was also extremely upset by Busch’s antics, as were the Federated Auto Parts races sponsors. Hawks said Busch has yet to apologize for the incident.

NASCAR took no official action against Busch despite having penalized drivers in the past for “actions detrimental to the sport.”

Nashville music producer Mike Curb who co-owns the Baker Curb Racing team, helped facilitate the Busch donation.

Busch, 24, is regarded as one of the most talented young racers ever to come along, but is also one of the sport’s most temperamental competitors. At times he seems to go out of his way to stir controversy.

Despite having four Sprint Cup wins, Busch is battling to get into the Top 12 Chase lineup. He is 13th in the standings with two races left to set the field going into Sunday’s race at Atlanta.

And if you do the math, that's $200 per guitar. :laugh2:

Deftone

Reaction score
His PR team is doing it, not him. But hey, it's getting guitars in kid's hands, that's a good thing.

zplapplap

Reaction score
He thought he was a rockstar, didn't recognize the personalized nature of the guitar, and made a mistake. A properly timed apology could have gone a long way.

#1guitarman

Reaction score
Kyle Bush is STILL a DOUCHE...always has been-always will be...His Momma didn't teach him any better...so I guess that makes her a douche too...

DRF

Reaction score
$200 each...

...or would you get 10 Gibsons for 3k each.

You know what 30k buys on a NASCAR Car...a tire. Just sayin.

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How many guitars does Pete Townshend owe the children??? :hmm:

edit: Just a conversational statement. I am by no means placing Kyle "Douchebag" Busch in the same category as Pete!!!!!

djwilbanks

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's weird, because in the article shortly following the "incident" the artist said he was okay with what Kyle did, even if it did leave him a little "shocked and heart-broken."

A Gibson representative also said they felt no disrespect... Kyle also ordered two guitars to be painted like the trophy guitar, one for him to keep and one to give to his crew chief.

I don't know Kyle personally, but I think you guys are making a mountain out of a mole-hill. A lot of you said "give the guitar to someone who will play it!"

Well, he kinda did, and then some. Whether it's his PR people or not, 30k dollars is a heck of a lot more than 2k for the trophy guitar.

Latest Threads