Kustom Coupe '36 1x12 Combo With 2x12 Cab Impedance Question

jumpinjackf1ash

Reaction score
Hey guys, once again I am in need of your expertise.

I have a Kustom Coupe '36 1x12 Combo and love it, but need more speakers to push that wonderful sound. Also, a 2x12 cab is all that will fit in my car haha...and I love my mustang too much to sell it and get something bigger.

I want to use the internal speaker (16 ohms) along with 2 speakers in an external cab at the same time (The amp has an impedance selector...4, 8, or 16 ohms) and I don't want to blow the tubes and/or fuse. What Impedance will the cab have to be? Most 212 cabs I see are wired in 8 ohms...such as the Carvin 212E:

(Carvin.com :: 212E).

Can I rewire an 8 ohm cab to be 16 ohms? How hard is it? This way I can plug that into my amp along with the internal speaker and set the switch to 8 ohms.

Thanks for any help!

tomaseriksson

Reaction score
The manual states the following:
4) Impedance Selector—This switch is used to select the appropriate impedance, and is important in achieving the desired results from the Coupe amplifiers. The correct impedance should be selected using the Impedance Selector Switch as follows:
a. Internal speaker only: 16 ohm setting
b. Internal speaker + external 16 ohm speaker: 8 ohm setting
c. Internal speaker + external 8 ohm speaker: 4 ohm setting, although it’s not matched
d. External 16 ohm speaker alone: 16 ohm setting

So you can plugin a 8 ohm cab and still use it at the same time as the internal speaker.

jumpinjackf1ash

Reaction score
thanks for the reply...and yeah i saw that in the manual...and it says that setting will be mismatched though. isn't the goal to match them?

tomaseriksson

Reaction score
Depends on a lot of factors, but yes I would try to match them. You may end up getting more decibels from the built in 16 ohm speaker then from the cab, but you can always compensate with placement and such.

By the way, why don't you go for the Cupe 212 Extension cab?

Kustom Coupe 212 Extension Cabinet

jumpinjackf1ash

Reaction score
tru. haha cause its like 600 bucks and its hard to find them used. i'd like it tho. ive got about 200-300 tho.

i just want my amp to power 3 12 inchers haha. if the 2 cab speakers are 8 ohms i could wire them in series to get 16 ohms and the split that with the internal speaker. i just have never wired or rewird speakers before. is it difficult?

Latest Threads