Korina V Advise

VicodinDream

Reaction score
I have been offered a Korina V in trade for some work wiring a few strats. Brand new out of the box. They got it this year. Are these anygood? I would obviously rip the electronics out, but I an curious what you all think of them. So I am not getting like Korina veneer over OSB glued into a guitar or something:rofl:

PS I also think this would be a cute vehicle for my Seymour Duncan Seth Lover set:fingersx:

King Minimoose

Reaction score
I played the Joe Bonamassa "Amos" V and it was a great guitar. I've also played other Epi Korina Vs and they were also good guitars. I always play them when I come across them; there's one at a local store, I think it's a 06 or something, and I dig it. Don't know if that helps but that's my two cents.

jimmyjames

Reaction score
Pretty sure most of them are veneered, and the Amos is solid Korina... (?)

Zoobiedood

Reaction score
Seths would be great in that guitar, unless you use a ton of preamp gain and volume as they aren't potted. But if your style depends on touch-sensitivity, they are ace.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
I like mine just fine. Enough to gig it a bunch of times. The pickups are even pretty good. The "blackwood" fretboard is beautiful.
Atiny bit of neck dive, but a grippy leather strap cures it.

fleahead

Reaction score
They are veneer, but some are very well done, as I was lucky that my 1st issue was. But, I routed to get the bridge pup closer to the bridge, made a new pickguard. Gibson BB#1's, Gibson TOM and tuners, chicken-head knobs, PIO caps & elect. My #2
70819965_508951776333418_496695173732892672_n copy.jpg

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I would obviously rip the electronics out,
Why? The Epiphone Pro-Buckers are great pickups, and honestly, there's nothing wrong with the pots and switches. Caps are caps and you aren't going to hear a difference between an orange drop, green chicklet, ceramic disc, or a bumble bee given they are all the same value.

charlie chitlins

Reaction score
Why? The Epiphone Pro-Buckers are great pickups, and honestly, there's nothing wrong with the pots and switches. Caps are caps and you aren't going to hear a difference between an orange drop, green chicklet, ceramic disc, or a bumble bee given they are all the same value.
I mostly agree with this, but we part company at the jack and switch.
AFAIK, Epi still hasn't upped their game enough on these parts to make a dependable gigger.

fleahead

Reaction score
A good Gotoh TOM made a difference in my V's tone, plus the crap metal that most Asian TOM's are made with allow bridge collapse far too easily.

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
I mostly agree with this, but we part company at the jack and switch.
AFAIK, Epi still hasn't upped their game enough on these parts to make a dependable gigger.
I agree that they aren't the most durable parts in the bin.
OTOH, I replaced the switch in my Epi SG and within 6 months, the Switchcraft started getting flaky, and I do not live in a humid environment, so no reason for corrosion to be a problem if the switch wasn't already corroding when it was installed.

garybaldy

Reaction score
Anyone know what pups would have been in a year 2000 pls.
Thanks

VicodinDream

Reaction score
I am still thinking about the V. I can accept a veneer top, but when the body itself is junkwood I got a problem lol.

I would put my Seth's in it because they are going to be sitting otherwise. Great pickups but the feedback problem is out of hand lately.

BKS

Reaction score
I don't have the korina V but an early korina explorer. These are korina veneer over multiple pieces of korina. So they are all korina. Seems the ones made in Czech could be solid 2 piece without veneer

garybaldy

Reaction score
I don't have the korina V but an early korina explorer. These are korina veneer over multiple pieces of korina. So they are all korina. Seems the ones made in Czech could be solid 2 piece without veneer
My Korean V from 2000 seems to be two piece (can't see any more joints on the rim of the guitar other than one in the centre) but it still has the veneer. I can only assume that the 'solid' centre is either not Korina or is just ugly.
Ps still wondering what the stock pups would be on mine.
Thanks

BKS

Reaction score
My korina Explorer (1998) is 3 part (2 large one really tiny) with 2 part veneer. Is stock apart from pickguard, guy i bought it from had used it in a U2 cover band. So White pickguard on...
No idea what is under the veneer, no need to find out on mine, not all korina is probably as pretty looking.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Secret is L U B R I C A T I O N. A spray can of cleaning-lubricating juice will get you years of flawless "cheap" electronics components reliability.

Last edited:

fleahead

Reaction score
I would put my V up against any Gibson. Play and sound-wise. At 21 years, it's the longest I have OWNED a single guitar. Patty Lou (avatar) came 4 years later.... I will never sell it.