Korina Explorer - Lots of Pics

Kong

Reaction score
I've had this guitar for a while and I have posted about it here before. I just thought it was looking extra fabulous today and felt the need to post some new pics. Bonamassa signed the pickguard for me at a meet and greet before one of his shows a few years ago. This thing sounds great and is a killer player. I bought it used and it had Dragonfire active pickups installed. I didn't care for the actives so I dropped in a GFS Vintage '59 in the neck and a GFS Alnico Fat Pat in the bridge. I also setup both pickups for coil splitting with a push/pull on the master tone pot.

I just installed some brass tuning keys from Guitar Fetish and they look pretty sick. I was able to drop them right in as the screw holes lined up with the stock Grover holes. I'm thinking about installing the GFS brass bridge and tailpiece. There is nothing wrong with the stock bridge and tailpiece, I'm just a mod-a-holic. The GFS tailpiece is much heavier than the stock one and I like the way everything is locked down on the GFS units.

Ippon

Reaction score
Very sexy! How are the GFS PUs?

Congrats!

:cheers2:

Kong

Reaction score
Very sexy! How are the GFS PUs?

Congrats!

:cheers2:
I think they sound great in this guitar. I'll try and record a couple sound clips tomorrow, been wanting to post some clips of my new Peavey Classic 20 head.

Overall the guitar is very versatile and has some nice clean tones with and without the coil splitting. I think the neck pickup is warm and sounds really nice playing a slightly over-driven tone for blues. I don't play anything really heavy, but this thing can do classic rock and blues all day long. I've been in a playing rut for a few years and now I'm trying to sit down and learn some new songs and just expand my playing.

I also have a Strat with GFS pickups in it and I always get compliments on how that guitar sounds. The Strat has the GFS "Premium II" Alnico II, Hand Bevelled Strat set. I think it is the best bang for the buck strat set out there.

Kong

Reaction score
Here is a link to a video of the Explorer. Sorry for the crappy playing and crappy sound quality. I recorded it on my phone and I think it was too close to the amp. I'll make another recording using a decent mic through my PC one of these days.

I'm playing through a Peavey Classic 20 head through a 2 x 12 cabinet that I converted from a broken Vox 2x12 combo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ehEupTWC0U

93LPStudio

Reaction score
Beautiful! Nothing looks better than a Korina finish on an Explorer! I'd take that pickguard off and put a replacement on it since JB signed it if it were me :thumb: