korean Epiphone Les Paul classic plus

frisco

Reaction score
Hi guys
I was going to change strings this afternoon and decide it to look inside the pickup cavity
and take some photos to share with the foum what's under the hood.

My classic is a 2004 Unsung factory made.

I think there's a cap from the same body wood but feel free to correct me. I suspect it has
a short neck tenon as well.

Here are some pics

IMG_20210124_175404.jpg

IMG_20210124_174743.jpg

IMG_20210124_174708.jpg

IMG_20210124_174555.jpg

IMG_20210124_174504.jpg

IMG_20210124_174338.jpg

IMG_20210124_174318.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Not a short, but an inexistant tenon :)

About construction. I think it's the same wood from top to bottom, the a maple veneer on top. That's one reason these LPs sound so warm.

frisco

Reaction score
Hey DrBGood thanks for your reply!
I was suspecting that indeed has a carve top but it was from the same wood as the body.

About the neck tenon you are right and thanks for the info. I was googling images of neck tenons and neither long or short
look like on my guitar.

indeed the guitar sounds warm maybe a little bit dark or less trebly for some.

I was thinking of upgrading it to the inspired by Gibson 60's Les Paul standard. Do you think is a good idea?

Lester

Reaction score
It's only an "upgrade" if yours doesn't play well or the new label would male you feel better.

I'd go through frets, setup, etc and see how well you can make it play.

For new Epi/Gibsons, quality seems to be up, but it's still guitar by guitar. I'd play one of the model you're thinking of and see how you like it. There are a number of Gibson necks. I think that one is a slim taper but some are baseball.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Such an upgrade won't bring much more playablity. Those 2004 were well made and are good players. I have a SG from the same year/factory and out of half a dozen SG I've had, that is the one that remained. I had a chance to win boutique humbuckers (Tyson Tone PAFs) so I switched that, but was as happy before with the Alnico Classics in there.

One thing you need to do is play with pickup heights. That is the most effective, cheapest and fastest mod you can make for your tone. I like warm tones in a LP.

frisco

Reaction score
thanks Lester and DrBGood for your opinions

Last year i did a complete overhaul of this guitar: refreted with 6105s, installed probuckers, changed pots and caps and did the Jimmy Page wiring ( with four push/pull pots) with the idea to be my gigging guitar but since Covid land on us and having read about the new epis it made wonder if the quality of the body wood was better. I think newer epis come with a maple cap instead of just a veneer aren't they?

Lester

Reaction score
thanks Lester and DrBGood for your opinions

Last year i did a complete overhaul of this guitar: refreted with 6105s, installed probuckers, changed pots and caps and did the Jimmy Page wiring ( with four push/pull pots) with the idea to be my gigging guitar but since Covid land on us and having read about the new epis it made wonder if the quality of the body wood was better. I think newer epis come with a maple cap instead of just a veneer aren't they?
Sounds like it should be a nice axe now.

I'm a believer in the wood making a difference in sustain. Certainly matters when playing acoustically. I don't know if the veneer vs. cap would matter, I'd think veneer would ring through better to the body (thinner, transfers sound quicker). What might matter is the body wood... is the body of yours mahogany or something else? Have a photo of the rear? Or maybe someone here knows. The longer neck joints are also supposed to contribute to more sustain so that could be a difference.

That said, even if there's a difference, whether it sounds better or worse to you is something you'd have to play to know. Also, whether any of that matters "when the drums and bass come in" is an open question.

Phildog

Reaction score
Such an upgrade won't bring much more playablity. Those 2004 were well made and are good players. I have a SG from the same year/factory and out of half a dozen SG I've had, that is the one that remained. I had a chance to win boutique humbuckers (Tyson Tone PAFs) so I switched that, but was as happy before with the Alnico Classics in there.

One thing you need to do is play with pickup heights. That is the most effective, cheapest and fastest mod you can make for your tone. I like warm tones in a LP.

+1

I had an Unsung made LP. One of the best older Epi's I owned. Wish I still had it.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes, but the Inspried line (supposedly) mimics the Gibson necks of the modeled period.
Not sure it is through the whole line.
... is the body of yours mahogany or something else? Have a photo of the rear? Or maybe someone here knows. The longer neck joints are also supposed to contribute to more sustain so that could be a difference.
There pretty much all made of mahogany, but that doesn't mean much as all trees are different. I had two indentical G400 Vintage, 2003 & 2004, and the sounded soooo different one from the other, plugged in or not.

A photo of the rear won't tell you anything, they all have a veneer there too.

As for the lenght of the tenon, the difference it makes is so minimal, it would be hard to measure with sophisticated instruments. But it sure has a better placebo tone. Mine does in the G400.

Long tenon 1.jpg

frisco

Reaction score
Update: Looking closely the cap seems to have a different wood grain my guess is that the cap is probably alder.
On the cutaway i can see a cap but is a little bit darker than the body wood

Latest Threads