Komet 29

Toos

Reaction score
I have a komet 29 and with the gain about halfway it just seems too dark for a Les Paul on the bridge. Basically there is no way to get a clean tone with a tuned down volume knob due to the headroom (lack of) in the amp. Crunch and lead tones are amazing. Gain about half wayt tried the entire width of the thrust control and tone is turned up. I had this experience with a Tone King Falcon as well and sold it. Given the Komets are so special I would like to spend a bit more time with the 29 before I do anything rash.

Does anyone have any experience with these and a Lester?

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
could be the nature of the beast. How do single coils work with them?

Not familiar with the circuit but often a brash amp can be tamed by lower output preamp tubes, substituting a 12AT7 for a 12AX7 in V1 being common.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Aren't komet amps modeled after the Trainwrecks? I had a TW clone and it was a lot of things but too dark was not one of them. You said your previous amp was the same. Maybe your guitar and or something else in your signal chain.

Toos

Reaction score
Thanks for the responses. The only YouTube videos are with strats and they sound great. Komets are heavily influenced by trainwrecks but the k29 circuit is more like a tweed from what I have heard.

It is not the signal chain because my Lester's sound great with Marshalls and Two Rocks.

I may try the 12at7 if it is safe for the amp.

Ideally I would set if for crunch roll back the volume for clean or cleanish and then boost it for a lead.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of 12a*7 tubes will be ok to sub. 12AT7s are not a tube I like in V1 position but it's a matter if personal choice. 5751 is a good choice. I even ran a 12AU7 in my TW clone for a while. I found this vid. No chord work but the lead tone is glorious

Toos

Reaction score
Most of 12a*7 tubes will be ok to sub. 12AT7s are not a tube I like in V1 position but it's a matter if personal choice. 5751 is a good choice. I even ran a 12AU7 in my TW clone for a while. I found this vid. No chord work but the lead tone is glorious
Yep that is the sweet sweet tone you can get with a Lester but almost need to run a dual amp setup for clean/cleanish. Just feels complicated for my basic needs.

Latest Threads