Knopfler's bursts

WholeLottaIzzy

Reaction score
Anyone know why Knopfler always plays his '59 sat down? I don't think I've seen a single video of him playing it standing up. He only seems to use it for Song for Sonny Liston as well. Awesome song if you don't know it!

Pete M

Reaction score
59...............................reissue!

refin

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
One of the most boring players ever...even in the solo section of brothers in arms, he can be so slow...you just want to sleep. But ok, he's not the only one, an actual famous blues-player can just overbore you with his licks.

Go back to your Yngwie CDs....we are having a serious discussion here about a great player and his bursts. :cool:

badly drawn les

Reaction score
I don't know anything about their history but I've seen 'em both close up. When I was at Bill Puplett's, he had them both in for a service & set up before a tour. Gotta love it that he has a '59 for a spare. I thought it may be considered bad etiquette to strum a few chords.
Bill also had Noel Gallagher's ES355 in, he wanted the varitone wired back in.

Gunslinger

Reaction score
I don't know anything about their history but I've seen 'em both close up. When I was at Bill Puplett's, he had them both in for a service & set up before a tour. Gotta love it that he has a '59 for a spare. I thought it may be considered bad etiquette to strum a few chords.
Bill also had Noel Gallagher's ES355 in, he wanted the varitone wired back in.

Hey! That's cool! Yeah 59' as a spare, love it! I have no spare!:)

Donfledermaus

Reaction score
Go back to your Yngwie CDs....we are having a serious discussion here about a great player and his bursts. :cool:

Your statement is so stupid that i really feel sorry for myself in losing time in answering it.

But i guess you're right, you have ears of gold, you know what serious music is; after all you seem to be american. The country of good taste as ever body knows.

Pontificate in joy my friend.

AlGZero

Reaction score
Your statement is so stupid that i really feel sorry for myself in losing time in answering it.

But i guess you're right, you have ears of gold, you know what serious music is; after all you seem to be american. The country of good taste as ever body knows.

Us rednecks are, of course, DEVASTATED by your sarcasm, Batman. Were it not for the fact that one of my dearest friends is a lovely Viennese woman, I might be tempted to go all jingoistic on your sorry, Eurotrash arse. Instead, I'll just let your ignorant critique of Mark Knopfler's poignant playing on Brothers in Arms speak for itself.

Stoj

Reaction score
Back on topic - MK is a monster player and his bursts are a major part of his sound :dude: :dude: :dude: :cheers:

scovell001

Reaction score
I'm sure many will have seen the short film on his recent album tracker by Henrik Hansen. There's a short trailer on his Facebook page here https://www.facebook.com/MarkKnopfler/videos# that concentrates on the 58 burst. What I found quite interesting is that in this particular song (where I thought the solo is played on the neck) he is infact using both pups. This combination sound reminds me of the ECP Hallowed Grounds (also from a 58 paul). V-interesting

SickAgain

Reaction score
I really appreciated the 6 guitars BBC documentary, lovely to have really personal stories behind instruments.

Latest Threads