Knobs keep falling off

horax

Reaction score
I have a trad pro v, and the knobs keep popping off due to the pull up pots. Anybody have this same issue? How can you fix this?

0EA2C534-AF2D-4B9F-A0A8-BAAA308F1382.jpeg

Peter M

Reaction score
Try a thin layer of tape around the shaft to regain snugness.

P.S. I would not recommend spreading shaft ears to try to accommodate stripped plastic knobs. Tape is non-invasive, effective, and can be removed if you should ever get a new set.

Last edited:

Martijn R.

Reaction score
I had this issue on my first guitar, after spreading the ears on the potshaft i managed to pry some lead sheeting in between the ears to keep them from "collapsing". Don't forget to wash your hands afterwards when using lead tho...

bum

Reaction score
Hot glue is ghetto as hell but works well for this, pop some in the knob and press on, I'd put a bit of masking tape around the area to avoid hot glue on finish

mjross

Reaction score
Hot glue is ghetto as hell but works well for this, pop some in the knob and press on, I'd put a bit of masking tape around the area to avoid hot glue on finish
This could be a “permanent” fix from what I remember when using hot glue. YMMV…

BSquared62

Banned
Reaction score
Painters tape works well. As said above, do not recommend spreading the shaft (that sounds awful) because they are not very strong, and can break. (That sounds even worse!)

Tape or just paper is your friend.

bum

Reaction score
This could be a “permanent” fix from what I remember when using hot glue. YMMV…

I'd say semi permanent, you can slowly start wobbling it back and forth to get a little friction / heat going, then it reverts back to a more gloopy state and you can remove stuff usually that way, if that makes sense :laugh2:

mjross

Reaction score
I'd say semi permanent, you can slowly start wobbling it back and forth to get a little friction / heat going, then it reverts back to a more gloopy state and you can remove stuff usually that way, if that makes sense :laugh2:
My experience with hot glue has been pretty permanent. However, what you are saying makes sense.

bum

Reaction score
I think it depends on the surface, on wood I would say for sure, metal and plastic you have more options. I hate the stuff but it has its uses now and then.

Azmedian

Reaction score
Try a thin layer of tape around the shaft to regain snugness.

P.S. I would not recommend spreading shaft ears to try to accommodate stripped plastic knobs. Tape is non-invasive, effective, and can be removed if you should ever get a new set.

Try some Teflon tape

reedrainey

Reaction score

Then you'll never get the knobs off again, EVER. Then if you want to change the knobs out or replace or even clean a pot, where are you? If any of those should occur, you'd have to rewire your guitar from scratch.>

blouie

Reaction score
Cutting a small square of tin foil (or two) and covering the shaft would also work great. I like the foil vs. the tape because it doesn't leave a sticky residue.

Latest Threads