Knob choice for black LP?

What knobs look best on a black (not Custom) LP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dasherf17

Reaction score
I got a black Classic the other day and I'm not crazy about the gold reflectors.

I've seen black Standards of different eras come with gold speed knobs, gold top hats, amber tops hats.

Curious what knobs you folks think look best on a black LP that isn't a Custom. Customs have their own aesthetic going on.

Feel free to vote & give your opinion.
I remember seeing black witch hats...

DBDM

Reaction score
My (trans) black Standard came with gold top hats and I like them fine. If I were buying replacement knobs (which I am not) I would likely get the black speed knobs with the silver paint inside (since mine have chrome colored hardware) similar to what @Gibsonrocknroll posted above. Only because I think speed knobs are cool--but again not enough to buy them. good news is knobs are fairly cheap and changing them hurts nearly nothing. Keep the old knobs and you really lose nothing. I swapped out the knobs on an SG and when I went to trade it in, could not find them (I did later find them) and the fact I could not come up with the old knobs did not change the trade value at all.

DBDM

Reaction score
Be careful of buying Asian made/sold knobs for Gibsons. Some fit, most don't (ask me how I know). Confirm they are made for Standard US sizes and not metric. They are RARELY made to fit US made guitars like Gibsons (but great for Epiphones). Normally the knobs made for US guitars will be well marked and the ones not well marked are metric. Check the reviews and if buyers are happy with them for Epiphones, they will not fit your Gibson LP.

Edit--notice how this listing says in the title, "For US made Les Pauls". In my experience if it does not say that, they do not fit.
https://www.amazon.ca/Musiclily-Imperial-Control-Electric-Guitar/dp/B07T7NBBKS/ref=pd_sbs_2/134-8479664-8397604?pd_rd_w=Y6W32&pf_rd_p=4dc33e2e-16b5-4e12-aab9-e86d5748e0cb&pf_rd_r=DVQCZ43NP28YPZQQC2ZH&pd_rd_r=04c2584f-13ba-489d-a189-fbea27754422&pd_rd_wg=lPQ50&pd_rd_i=B07T7NBBKS&psc=1

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Be careful of buying Asian made/sold knobs for Gibsons. Some fit, most don't (ask me how I know). Confirm they are made for Standard US sizes and not metric. They are RARELY made to fit US made guitars like Gibsons (but great for Epiphones). Normally the knobs made for US guitars will be well marked and the ones not well marked are metric. Check the reviews and if buyers are happy with them for Epiphones, they will not fit your Gibson LP.
They can be made to fit.
Get a spare (or junk) US type pot, heat the shaft, and press the metric knob onto it.

rogue3

Reaction score
my take:If you are all black...then Black speed knobs.If you are a cream binding/pickguard/pockerchip/Zebra's or double creams, then Gold speedknobs.here:
20120627_6429.jpg

Latest Threads