Knob choice for black LP?

What knobs look best on a black (not Custom) LP?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I got a black Classic the other day and I'm not crazy about the gold reflectors.

I've seen black Standards of different eras come with gold speed knobs, gold top hats, amber tops hats.

Curious what knobs you folks think look best on a black LP that isn't a Custom. Customs have their own aesthetic going on.

Feel free to vote & give your opinion.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Black top hats or speed knobs... unless you've got gold hardware, then black reflectors with gold inserts

PAPADON

Reaction score
1623119410034.png

parts

Reaction score
d5Gyzx8.jpg

'71 LP Custom..had witch hats..which I do not abide.. Same on my 66' ES355..and '65 ES175. I had speed dials on for a bit..just seemed wrong to me..
ES175 has gold hardware too..unusual..
There are silver Top Hats too..

Non-rabbit

Reaction score
I like the look of the reflectors on my black Classic, but they aren't the most solid feeling knobs. Speed knobs feel the best to me since I've had them in my Studio forever. I've thought about putting some gold ones on the Classic but probably won't bother in all honesty. I'm starting to enjoy the concave feel of the reflectors when you turn them as opposed to the more squared off speed knobs.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I like the look of the reflectors on my black Classic, but they aren't the most solid feeling knobs. Speed knobs feel the best to me since I've had them in my Studio forever. I've thought about putting some gold ones on the Classic but probably won't bother in all honesty. I'm starting to enjoy the concave feel of the reflectors when you turn them as opposed to the more squared off speed knobs.

Got a pic?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I voted black speed knobs, but closely followed by black with gold reflectors.

ARandall

Reaction score
I vote for a tour of Google Images. Lets face it, you'll see by far more options visually, and not have to sift through other's somewhat meaningless opinions. If you'd done that from the word go, I'd bet you'd have got your result before you finished constructing the thread.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I vote for a tour of Google Images. Lets face it, you'll see by far more options visually, and not have to sift through other's somewhat meaningless opinions. If you'd done that from the word go, I'd bet you'd have got your result before you finished constructing the thread.

I'm sold on gold top hats. Maybe amber top hats. I really like the look of those older ebony standards from the 80s and 90s that came with those knobs.

Just thought I'd see what other ideas people had. I've never thought too much about knobs because I've had 5 bursts. Just always went with gold hats.

speyfly

Reaction score
I got a black Classic the other day and I'm not crazy about the gold reflectors.

I've seen black Standards of different eras come with gold speed knobs, gold top hats, amber tops hats.

Curious what knobs you folks think look best on a black LP that isn't a Custom. Customs have their own aesthetic going on.

Feel free to vote & give your opinion.

I hate top hats, LUV reflectors!!! It's kinda like Keystones vs Grovers, Keystones are Les Paul just like reflectors!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here’s the favorite black in my stable…

Gold or black Speed knobs look badass on black lesters imho
i switch mine up all the time….covers arent soldered so they too come on and off

don’t have a pic with the gold speeds but they look amazing

this is the same guitar btw…vibramate bigsby comes on and off too depending on if covers are gonna be on or off at sting change

5F7CFD0E-D9F6-4152-9DAC-D37A941F81C5.jpeg
04659621-FC4D-4AA0-ACFE-6C6EE7160677.jpeg

MP4-22

Reaction score
I'm sold on gold top hats. Maybe amber top hats. I really like the look of those older ebony standards from the 80s and 90s that came with those knobs.

Just thought I'd see what other ideas people had. I've never thought too much about knobs because I've had 5 bursts. Just always went with gold hats.

I'd split the difference and get the darker gold ones PLS sells.... they look amber but not orange like the gibson ones. The black and gold ones in the post above would look sweet imo.

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I'd split the difference and get the darker gold ones PLS sells.... they look amber but not orange like the gibson ones. The black and gold ones in the post above would look sweet imo.

What's PLS?

I always get my knobs from Tone Shapers. They're priced well, look great, and are good quality.

Latest Threads