Knives; Folders, Fixed and OTF

Deftone

Reaction score
The knife above the 110, is that a Case? I sorta remember seeing that thing here and whoever posted it (maybe you) said they had it since the 80's. I've been trying to find one forever since I saw this. Stuff I've seen that are similar are $800+... I freakin' love that thing, whatever it is. :)
The Buck has the finger grooves, I've owned it since the 80s. Just below It is an Uncle Henry.

Last edited:

LP121

Reaction score
Running joke around the shop is "Oh, you actually used the Gerber? Need to borrow my stone?"

Not a fan of Gerber. I had one multi-tool that was decent, but I like the Leatherman Wave much more and it's been my EDC for years.
Other pocket has a Leatherman Free-t4, which is a Swiss Army Knife type thing with a blade, file, couple of screwdrivers (flat and cross), awl, and a pair of scissors.
The scissors get used almost as much as the blade.

i keep mine in my car

I carried a Leatherman Wingman for a long time. I liked it better than the Gerber mostly because it wasn't as heavy. I like the Gerber for tinkering because it has a few more tools in it. I don't use the blade very often.

Started carrying the Skeletool mostly because it's even lighter yet, plus still has the screwdriver that I use the most.

nauc

Reaction score
I carried a Leatherman Wingman for a long time. I liked it better than the Gerber mostly because it wasn't as heavy. I like the Gerber for tinkering because it has a few more tools in it. I don't use the blade very often.

Started carrying the Skeletool mostly because it's even lighter yet, plus still has the screwdriver that I use the most.
i carry this in my wallet. it doesnt do many things, but its pretty cool

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I made this for my wife using a Japanese Damascus steel blade. My wife has NEVER used it. Turns out in her culture a husband giving a wife a knife is bad luck. Wish I'd known that before spending hours making it.

20200322_220313.jpg

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I made this for my wife using a Japanese Damascus steel blade. My wife has NEVER used it. Turns out in her culture a husband giving a wife a knife is bad luck. Wish I'd known that before spending hours making it.

View attachment 584347
Don't feel bad. I gave my wife (now ex) a S&W model 19 .357 Nickle revolver and she never used it. She told me to sell it because she'd rather have the money.

It looked like this:

Roberteaux

Broken Dog
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

View attachment 584347

Gorgeous knife, Don!

But: not giving knives to friends on account of the bad luck it will bring is a belief that's common all over S.E. Asia... not just Vietnam.

I asked a friend from Singapore what the thought was behind all that; he shrugged and said, simply enough, "Knives cut. You don't give them to anybody you care about, because the knife might sever your relationship."

It's all the same in Indonesia, in Burma and Thailand.. and so forth.

Knives cut.

--R

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous knife, Don!

But: not giving knives to friends on account of the bad luck it will bring is a belief that's common all over S.E. Asia... not just Vietnam.

I asked a friend from Singapore what the thought was behind all that; he shrugged and said, simply enough, "Knives cut. You don't give them to anybody you care about, because the knife might sever your relationship."

Knives cut.

--R

Thanks, Robert. My wife still is somewhat superstitious. It's funny to hear her complain about her family & friends back in Vietnam and their bizarre/out-dated beliefs.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Gorgeous knife, Don!

Knives cut.

--R
We (Italians) used to never gift a knife. We'd charge you one penny so it's a sale instead, for luck.

Tone deaf

Reaction score

View attachment 584347
You should probably get that out of your house. I can swing by tomorrow and pick it up. Just thinking of your best interests.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You should probably get that out of your house. I can swing by tomorrow and pick it up. Just thinking of your best interests.

I've come up a loophole in the bad juju curse. One of our kids will get it when we're gone. We won't give it to them, one will just claim it. It will be an heirloom. They can think of us when their cooking (or having a knife fight).

Latest Threads