Kluson tuners too much slack

Brek

Reaction score
Been spending a bit of quality with the 2020 R0 last couple of days, and the damn kluson tuners have loads of take up all of a sudden. I have read posts mentioning this issue. I guess that’s why some people don’t like them, they were fine last time I played it. Looks like the I’ll be sticking the revolutions back on while I decide what to replace with permanently (I dislike the look of the revolutions). Prolly go with some new Grover milk bottles.

Brek

Reaction score
that's how i wrap 'em, it's the gear i suspect, i can feel no engagement then after about half turn it turns the post its affecting three of them.

cybermgk

Singin' the body lectric
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Too much?

Michael Matyas

Reaction score
Schaller and Golden Age make Kluson repros that drop right in without drilling your guitar, and they are way better in quality. You will have to ream out the peg holes to install Grover milk bottles.

Brek

Reaction score
I have the stew Mac tool to do so, but yeah, not decided on if I should do so on the R0.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Sounds like they're just worn out -- sometimes tuners get that sort of gear lash and, if they wear far enough, they're impossible to use, slip when you try to tune down, or if you just slightly bump them, act non-linearly when you tighten, etc. I'd just go for some replacements, though, rather than enlarge headstock holes. I'd be tempted to go for Gotohs -- tend to be better quality parts than whoever's holding the Kluson brand at any given moment.

Not sure what you'd be able to find with double-ring tips, though, if that matters to you.

Brek

Reaction score
Gotoh are one I have not tried yet, I think they do a 21:1 ratio, where’s the power winder? Might give gotoh a try.

guitardon

Reaction score
Is it still under warranty? Ask the dealer for replacements. Gibson might even send replacements. They once sent me a true historic pick guard because mine had a crack by the top screw. Come to think of it I never replaced it and sold the guitar the way I got it so I have it somewhere.

Brek

Reaction score
Yeah have a warranty bought new in june this year.

Latest Threads