Kluson tuners replacement for 2014 Traditional

Deek

Reaction score
I love love love my 2014 Les Paul Traditional, but the tuners are driving me nuts. The guitar does not stay in tune, is some times sharp after sitting a while and I have eight other guitars right next to it that do not have these issues. I want to replace the "Tonepros Vintage-Style Tunder" it came with. Probably Gotoh as I put a set of those on a jazz box and loved the difference. However, they don't make it easy with clear information. Which ones can I get that do NOT require any reaming or modifications AND have the same look? Thank you in advance - I did search the forum.

GrunGie

Reaction score
I have ordered a set of Grover Rotogrip 502G which they will be a straight swap in my 2021 classic, as the tuning of this guitar is ass, even with the rotomatics it currently has. I have thrown a set of sperzels in my 2003 sg special more than a decade ago and they are awesome too.
As long as they are locking tuners, you will see remarkable improvement in you tuning.
Plus you will change strings in seconds.

GrunGie

Reaction score
90% of all tuner problems are nut problems. Just saying.
Not quite, it's a combination of both.
A good quality tuner is essential though.
As is a proper setup, nut, fresh strings etc...

Deek

Reaction score
I have lightly filed the nut and used some graphite as well. Didn't seem to make any difference at all. I'm not a pro tech by any means, but what is the best way to rule in our out the nut as the problem? GrunGie, I have locking tuners on a Tele and they are amazing in every way. I do want to keep my LP traditional.... traditional though.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
One quick way to see if the nut is grabbing the strings.
Tune the guitar.
Push down on a string between the tuner and the nut to pull it sharp slightly, and then release.
Then pick the string to check for tuning.
If it remains sharp, that tells you that the nut is grabbing the string and not allowing it to travel in the slot.

I agree on locking tuners.
Everything I own with Rotomatics (the 102) has been swapped out to the locking Rotomatic 502.
Same with all of my Fenders, the locking Schaller is a drop-in swap.

It will not cure the problems of an improperly cut nut, but it makes guitar maintenance quicker and easier.
The string swap takes a fraction of the time, and there’s no more slippage on the post.

GrunGie

Reaction score
I have lightly filed the nut and used some graphite as well. Didn't seem to make any difference at all. I'm not a pro tech by any means, but what is the best way to rule in our out the nut as the problem? GrunGie, I have locking tuners on a Tele and they are amazing in every way. I do want to keep my LP traditional.... traditional though.
Kluson has a set looking like the ones on your LP, with the additional locking pin.

Attachments

• kjjk.JPG
    kjjk.JPG
    138.8 KB · Views: 26

Leee

Reaction score
I was just going to say, I understand that there is a Kluson-style tuner that locks now.
But until I got on the inter-webz and actually found them, I wasn’t going to say anything.

This would’ve saved me from drilling the headstocks on half a dozen Gibsons…

hamerfan

Reaction score
What Leee said. It's the way how to file a nut correctly. It should not bind, but not sit too loose. It should break only at one spot, but this spot should not be too small.
But if you want to spend money, go for it.

GrunGie

Reaction score
I was just going to say, I understand that there is a Kluson-style tuner that locks now.
But until I got on the inter-webz and actually found them, I wasn’t going to say anything.

This would’ve saved me from drilling the headstocks on half a dozen Gibsons…
I didn't know their existence either and I also drilled my sg for sperzels but I think they are new to their line up. Found them recently searching for my les paul's upgrade.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Guitars go sharp because of reduction on temperature... at least that was always my understanding. Even if that is not right, I can't see how going sharp would have anything to do with the tuners.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
When I did an overhaul on my LP, my tech put Gotoh Klusson style on her. Hard to beat their Japanese precision.
It stays in tune pretty well and the play is really smooth. It is about 40g lighter if you care about this.

Also, I don't think any permanent mods were done (same hole size, same screw locations)

edit: One more thing, something that helped me get better stability was to always tune up the guitar, never down. If the string is slightly sharp, I'd loosen the string and literally pull the string a bit to go slightly flat, then tune up to pitch. Works really well after the nut is well cut

Last edited:

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
I don't get all these tuner problem people seem to be having. I have been playing for over 50 years and had a lot of guitars. I have never had a problem with tuners.

Deek

Reaction score
One quick way to see if the nut is grabbing the strings.
Tune the guitar.
Push down on a string between the tuner and the nut to pull it sharp slightly, and then release.
Then pick the string to check for tuning.
If it remains sharp, that tells you that the nut is grabbing the string and not allowing it to travel in the slot.

I agree on locking tuners.
Everything I own with Rotomatics (the 102) has been swapped out to the locking Rotomatic 502.
Same with all of my Fenders, the locking Schaller is a drop-in swap.

It will not cure the problems of an improperly cut nut, but it makes guitar maintenance quicker and easier.
The string swap takes a fraction of the time, and there’s no more slippage on the post.

Thank you for a useful and informative response.

gball

Reaction score
I replace most of mine with Kluson Revolutions. But not for tuning problems - for those I agree its all about the nut/setup. I use the revolutions because they have a higher ratio and add some mass to the headstock. The stock Kluson Deluxe are fine tuners but only a 14:1 ratio.

Leee

Reaction score
Guitars go sharp because of reduction on temperature...
Yes.
Metals expand and contract more than most people realize.
And more than wood, apparently, in a linear fashion.
I can think of several instances over the years where I picked up a guitar that has sat untouched for a few months and every string was surprisingly sharp.
Only difference was cooler weather and the house remaining cooler than in an Arizona or Texas summer with air-conditioning cycling on and off.

GrunGie

Reaction score
I don't get all these tuner problem people seem to be having. I have been playing for over 50 years and had a lot of guitars. I have never had a problem with tuners.
Then you really need to buy a guitar tuner... :rofl:
Sorry but I cannot believe that after 50 years of playing you NEVER had tuning issues or not even one guitar with crappy tuners.

Last edited:

mvenuti1980

Reaction score
Guitars go sharp because of reduction on temperature... at least that was always my understanding. Even if that is not right, I can't see how going sharp would have anything to do with the tuners.
All of my guitars have either locking tuners or a locking nut. The room I keep them in has poor insulation so it gets colder at night. Without fail, my guitars are a semi tone sharp every time I pickup them up in the fall and winter.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
I've got a set of Kluson Revolutions too and love them!

Latest Threads