Kluson tuner weight?

diogoguitar

Reaction score
I've seen conflicting information of how much the original klusons weigh.

It seems like the Japanese Gotoh Klusons weigh about 5 1/8oz (~155g) (links below) and the American Klusons are 6 3/4 oz (~191g). Is that really the case?
My klusons work fine, but if they are really 191g and the Japanese ones are like 35g lighter, I might switch since they have a smoother turn ratio and I'm a gotoh fan. Can anyone confirm the weight of the original klusons that come in the LP traditionals ? (mine is a 2009 model)

Sources:
Japanese Gotoh (replica) Kluson weight: states 5 1/8 oz or 145g
American (original) Kluson weight: states 6 3/4oz 191g
  1. R7 guy claiming his klusons were 191g https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/loosing-the-weight.2172317/page-3
  2. Grover keystone Kluson style is 191g https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-hardware/tuning-machines/solid-peghead-guitar-tuning-machines/grover-vintage-135-series-3and3-tuners.html

zebras

Reaction score
That’s a pretty large weight savings. I have some locking gotohs on a guitar and they are great. If you’re looking to cut some weight i would think they would be a good bet.

diogoguitar

Reaction score
That’s a pretty large weight savings. I have some locking gotohs on a guitar and they are great. If you’re looking to cut some weight i would think they would be a good bet.
nice, would you mind sharing the exact model?
did you do any modifications to the headstock?

zebras

Reaction score
nice, would you mind sharing the exact model?
did you do any modifications to the headstock?
It’s been a long time since I ordered them, but from looking on the gotoh site they look like the SD91 but in nickel. I have them on a strat, that model would probably look a bit strange on a LP. The guitar they are on was a custom job and was built with the tuners so I can’t comment on headstock mods.
Great tuners though, hold tune and have a nice smooth turn and ratio.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
If you are comparing those with sheet metal housings (vintage correct) with tuners with cast metal housings there will be a significant difference. Gotohs only make the vintage correct, stamped sheet metal tuners with press in bushings. Gibson uses cast metal tuners made by Ping Works in China. Kluson makes both versions in Korea. The cast metal versions weigh more and are the only drop-in replacements for a Gibson. Gotohs may work with conversion bushings.

Last edited:

Latest Threads