Klon is building and selling "old-school" Centaurs again

hecube

Reaction score
but on a limited basis and not for the old price either.

Check this out:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/382711483284?ul_noapp=true

Now, on a small scale, I am again hand-building a few Centaur units for sale by my company Klon LLC. Given the many demands on my time these days, and also given the very labor-intensive and time-consuming nature of building Centaurs, it's inevitable that I will be able to build only a small number of these units, but I hope and expect to continue to be able to do so on a regular basis for some years to come.

Shadow Explorer

Reaction score
:wow::facepalm: Cannot unsee.... I would totally not buy (timber and parts for) a new guitar over that....:wtf:

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
US $1800.00 !!!

giphy.gif

I haz a speechless.

larryguitar

Reaction score
It's an interesting strategy.

It must be frustrating to watch secondary market values skyrocket and not actually derive any financial reward from it; a unit originally sold for $300 that resells 5 years later for $1,000 makes money for everyone EXCEPT the builder.

By selling via auction, he can compete with the 'vintage' market directly, and let buyers determine the actual, 'right now' value of the unit. Makes sense to me?

Larry

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
Given the old ones still sell at high prices and people are buying clones and soundalikes, you could not be more misguided with every part of this statement.
Absolutely. If anything, I think this could artificially inflate the prices of vintage units, if the value of these new ones don't dramatically decrease on the second-hand market, that is. These are limited quantity in-demand pedals that behave like more of a luxury good on the market.

I personally think it's a ludicrous price to pay because it's not like some vintage pedals out there with components that are nigh on impossible to find today. That doesn't mean there's not a market for it. My main concern is that the Klon clone hype was a year or so ago - haven't most interested people tried and bought a Klon or clone by now?

hecube

Reaction score
Absolutely. If anything, I think this could artificially inflate the prices of vintage units, if the value of these new ones don't dramatically decrease on the second-hand market, that is. These are limited quantity in-demand pedals that behave like more of a luxury good on the market.

I personally think it's a ludicrous price to pay because it's not like some vintage pedals out there with components that are nigh on impossible to find today. That doesn't mean there's not a market for it. My main concern is that the Klon clone hype was a year or so ago - haven't most interested people tried and bought a Klon or clone by now?

The thing is: who has had the chance to play a genuine one?

Even amongst those who have clones, there will always be that nagging feeling of missing out on the real thing.

ARandall

Reaction score
Its analogous to the PAF clone market. A lot of people would/will never get the chance to play the real thing......but as an opportunity to see what the original does/did they can buy a clone and experiment for themselves. At least with the pedal its tone is not dependent on other aspects.....unlike a pickup, which is somewhat dependent on its host guitar.

bluesriffdev

Reaction score
The thing is: who has had the chance to play a genuine one?

Even amongst those who have clones, there will always be that nagging feeling of missing out on the real thing.
I guess so. Perhaps I lack the same passion as those in the market for them. After all, I probably wouldn't think twice about buying a real deal Les Paul if I had the funds.

I think what's different for me is that I've built a clone that sounds exactly the same as the Rockett Archer (yes, not a real Klon but from all accounts, the same thing) for less than $80. Unlike a lot of vintage pedals, all the components necessary are out there. There's nothing electrically 'special' about them. Compare this to say an original DM-2, which uses MN3005 chips, which are notoriously painful to obtain.

With that said, pretty much a month after I built my Klon clone, EHX released the Soul Food, which does basically the same thing, is one of the cheapest 'good' overdrive pedals on the market, in a package that's probably a lot more reliable than any poorly soldered POS I've thrown together. Andddd... everyone knows fuzz is just objectively better than overdrive anyway :p

EDIT: oops, looks like someone is actually reproducing the MN3005 chips. Maybe this is how the DM-2W came about?

Last edited:

kakao

Reaction score
A few years back I played the original Clone at a shop with the price tag of AU$2,000 .. I played the thing for over 30min, wiggling the pots and trying to find 'that' tone.
I didn't find the pedal any better than ones selling for $100 or so .. a hype is a strange thing, and the hype about this particular pedal is baseless, IMHO.

kakao

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
If he finds buyers at those prices and it looks like he has found a few then more power to him.
Exactly. People have been selling used ones for big bucks for a long time. So why shouldn't he be the one making the money? :yesway:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cash grab.

Ding Ding Ding... We have a winner..... I don't blame him either... Other folks making bank, so should he....

So many folks made money flipping their Klon (and some CHlonies too, da rat bastids) for what he made relatively little on each. More power to him if folks will buy em up and a high price....

I heard side by side with a Soul Food. I bought a Soul Food and was tickled with it...

Kinda like Dumbles in my ignorant opinion. They sound great... Ceriatones do too... and they ain't ballpark $100K a pop like DUmbles.... A Dumble ain't gonna make me sound like Robben and neither will a Ceriatone...

Not knocking folks that have or buy Dumbles or Klons or anything... Buy what makes you moist.....

Sooo, if he can make bank, cool. He deserves it.... Just like A.D. does......

BTW, who the fark are you, really?

:squint:

Alligatorbling

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it probably costs him 30 to 40 dollars to build one. the enclosure is probably his biggest cost. he probably gets everything bulk so probably less than what im guesstimating.

Latest Threads