V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
DO IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do one for me, I'll pay you for it!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
lol, if only I had the time. These things take me forever. :(

I need an EXACT wiring diagram for the battery, boss power adapter, 3pdt, etc.. I'll do some research on this klone and see if I can dig up that info... if I can then I'll build one and see where it goes from there. :D

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sweet! I'll be getting one, one way or another!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you can't wait, he sells them ready-made for $200. In ordering the parts (pcb + most components from him), painted enclosure + jacks + pots, and misc other parts, it's already close to $90.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The site claims that they're easy to put together... Not for me!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
The site claims that they're easy to put together... Not for me!

It's easy if you know exactly what/where you solder.. kind of like the BYOC kits, who hold your hand the whole time (I need that!).

This one is a bit more tricky, since I don't know how to wire the power jack AND battery clip, but I'm sure I can ask an experienced builder for an MS Paint update. :laugh2:

As for BYOC kits, they're not hard, but they take FOREVER. I'm so OCD at 2nd/3rd guessing myself that just the soldering takes me 12 hours.

rybass

Reaction score
I picked up a very nice board for one from a guy that designs clones. I still haven't built it but I figured it will only run me about $40-$50 total.

Here's a link for off board wiring. This site has a ton of tips.

Beavis Audio Research

V!N

Reaction score
Before you guys go out and start ordering and building, I'd like to share a little story with you. You see, the Klon Centaur might not be the pedal that you're looking for.

When I cloned one, I was expecting it to be the best overdrive ever made. It turned out to be a real sorry excuse for an overdrive: not a lot of gain, coming from a rather crude clipping section, a slight bass cut and an enormous mid spike that would almost make a stock tube screamer sound scooped.
When I started using it as a clean boost, it started to make sense. Mind you, the enormous amounts of piercing mids were still there and still very fatiguing for the ears.

It wasn't until its first appearance at a band situation that I started to find it useful. That pedal made me I cut through the mix, the auditorium above the rehearsal room and the tree outside in the parking lot. :)
That's when I finally got what this pedal is all about and why it is so loved by some of the big shots: it's the perfect live pedal to push an already nice and crunchy amp further into saturation and colour the tone in a way that makes you cut like there's no tomorrow. However, this does make it useless as a dirt pedal for a clean amp and even more useless when you play alone at home. It's a stage animal and shouldn't be caged.

With all the hype that was created around this pedal - largely created by those who have never played one - it's hard for a real gearhead to see it for what it really is. The builder of the originals, Bill Finnegan, said "no" to a lot of folks who wanted to order one from him. Simply because they weren't planning on using it the right way.

If you think this is the pedal for you, then clone away me boy ! :dude: Then I do have one last bit of advice: ignore the true hype-ass mods and build it with the buffer.
Nowadays, I have my clone as the first pedal on the floor, but with the effect disengaged so I can use it as a buffer/linedriver. It's one of the best buffers I have ever heard ! No change in sound, just in impedance to run your signal through the cables, loopers/switchers and what not without loss of tone.

European members can get a really nice kit with an optional painted and silk screened enclosure at this store.

Zentaurus.jpg

V!N

Reaction score
I thought I'd add a post for those who think the Klon isn't the right pedal for them. There are alternatives that take a similar aproach to what's going on inside of the Klon but behave more like a traditional overdrive.

First, there's the Maxon OD-820. It borrowed some ideas from the Klon and coupled it to what Maxon does best: a Tube Screamer. Like the Centaur, it brings the Voltage up to 18V and with the gain knob, you mix the clean and distorted signals together for an open sound, much less compressed than regular overdrive pedals. Where the Klon then uses a rather extensive filtering and crude hard clipping, the 820 goes for a more sophisticated Tube Screamer-ish circuit.

Another pedal that you might like if you want a "Klon-ish" pedal that is useful in more situations than Bill's work, the T-Rex Møller lets you create the mix yourself with a blend knob. Also, this pedal has a voice switch on board that makes it great with both humbuckers and single coils and an additional clean boost.

Rob S

Reaction score
Very true. I am fortunate in that I have a friend who is forever sending my pedals to try. The most recent was his "Klone". Absolutely wonderful pedal, but only when used as Vin suggests. When used like that, it is brilliant, but like so many other pedals out there, totally misunderstood.
The guy who does the youtube demo if one with a Bad Monkey being a case in point. He has no clue what it is all about and actually succeeds in doing the pedal a great dis service.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That's when I finally got what this pedal is all about and why it is so loved by some of the big shots: it's the perfect live pedal to push an already nice and crunchy amp further into saturation and colour the tone in a way that makes you cut like there's no tomorrow.

Yes! This is exactly why I want one! Warren Haynes uses his the exact same way.

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I just want one and it's a fairly cheap build. :D

V!N

Reaction score
Yes! This is exactly why I want one! Warren Haynes uses his the exact same way.
Then get one ! :dude: Get is with the buffer intact.
Warren has a CAE buffer on board of his guitars, marvellous player.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
I've built several Klon clones and compared them to the real deal, and they sounded identical to my ears. The circuit itself is REALLY simple. Build time for a kit shouldn't take more than an hour since it's not much to populate.

I built this one last year for a buddy of mine. He uses it live pretty much every single day.
100_3001.jpg

Latest Threads