Klon Centaur ,Worth the money ?

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
It's messed up or has been taken down for some reason. I haven't been able to access it either. His site actually sucks. It's kind of hard to use. Hopefully he's fixing it.

archive.org ;)

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
I've had my Klon for about 3 years now and have to say it's the best OD/Boost i've ever played on , and I've played tons !!! It makes a good amp better and a great amp magical !!! One of the key ingredients to the Klon is to have a decent tube amp setup to begin with because the Klon just gives you more of what your amp has to offer but just bigger and better !!! :thumb:

2005&

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Cosmetics... People are paying out the ass on eBay for the older ones with a gold box and centaur graphic. The new ones are a silver box with no graphics. The new ones still look pretty cool, considering how simple they are. But for $400 - $500 cheaper, I'd rather have the new ones.

Somebody might claim the circuits are different, but I don't know for sure. I know that I've read Finnagan's own words and he seemed to have put years into the circuit and lots of money. I can't see him making drastic changes to the circuit. It'll probably turn into a Big Muff debate... which is ridiculous.

$350 for an OD/Booster is expensive, but considering how much other pedals cost, especially boutique pedals, I don't think it's that bad. I think a lot of people expect an expensive pedal to have a bunch a switches and knobs, lots of blinking lights and crazy ass sounds. Fuck that. If it's a good pedal and does it's job well, and you like it, it's worth it. And if you can find something for a lot cheaper that you like better, good for you.

I'm still shooting for one of the new ones. I like the way they look and I feel certain I'll love the sounds. If not, like Big John said, there's always eBay. :D

There is absolutely no difference between the old gold horseyman Klon and the newer silver Klon !!! Except the color of course ...

KLON_CENTAUR.jpg

klon.jpg

M

Mr Baby

I played a Klon with my buddies vintage Fender deluxe reverb and it was awsome ! Didn't add anything extra , Just more of what the amp had to give !

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Big John! I wish I knew how to put these things together!

It's not hard, just takes patience and some soldering skills.

If an idiot like me can figure it out, ANYONE CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where do you get those parts?

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Where do you get those parts?

There's a bunch of sites. Usually you have to start with getting the PCB.. sites like generalguitargadgets and buildyourownclone have pcb's as well as full pre-drilled kits (best for beginner).. also buildyourownclone has a forum where people sell pretty much anything you would need.

As for parts sourcing, you need to find out which components are required for the project, such as what value resistors, capacitors, pots, etc... and sites for that are any of the following:

mouser.com
digikey.com

pedalpartsplus.com
effectsconnection.com
smallbearelectronics.com (i think that's the address, if not you can google 'small bear')

At some point I'll write an elaborate DIY pedal thread. I'm working on a bunch of pedals now but they're on hold until I get more free time.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks man, you've given me all the tools!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You can thank alligatorbling. He really got me into it with LOADS of great info!

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, thanks to the both of you then!

I'll see what's available at the Philly Show this weekend, maybe I can find a kit or the real deal...

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
for $800, i would just buy a better amp :laugh2:

$800 is for the collectable older gold version with the horseyman on it !!! The new silver ones can be had for under $400 and worth every penny in IMHO !!!!!!! :thumb:

stonevibe

Reaction score
$800 is for the collectable older gold version with the horseyman on it !!! The new silver ones can be had for under $400 and worth every penny in IMHO !!!!!!! :thumb:

Ditto, what the Clown says.... :thumb:

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll pay ya $60!!!

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll pay ya $60!!!

For me it takes about 15-20 hours of labor (not including painting the enclosure). I'm still new at this :)

I want to start a little side project and sell clones on fleabay. You can get 150-200 for a 'boutique' quality build.

I need more practice though (and the time to do it).

At the moment I still have to finish my Smash Drive, Dumble (based on Umble pre-amp) and haven't even started the Dr. Q and Red Llama clones.

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
Looks like I can build one for about $30.

:D

OK .. So how much would you sell a Pwoz Klone for ??? If it takes you all those hrs of labor !!! If your stuff had the REP Bill Finnegan's does ... You'd be selling a Klone for a good bit more than 2 bills !!!! ... :laugh2::cool:

Latest Threads