Klon Centaur.... $1,500???

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
If you're serious about building me one, PM me with the details. :thumb:

I'll see how much it costs to build. Then I'll pm you. Also consider that i live in Portugal, there will be some shipping costs involved.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
Of course people sell finished builds. I'll say, as long as you don't try to pass your work as someone else's. I would never sell one of my builds to fool someone into thinking they were buying an MXR pedal. It's my work, my layouts, my mods, my name.

Everyone copies everyone, they might change something here and there, but even Boss, Ibanez, MXR, etc copy off each others designs.

Great post. In a way, it's just like guitar playing. We all take bits and pieces from other players to make our own thing.

It's the douche bags that try and market their clones as true, 'this is my 100% original design' builds and charge outrageous prices that piss me off. It's one thing to get paid for your work and another thing entirely to ass rape customers who don't know any better.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
Not to step on Sky, but if the shipping cost are too much, I'll do it for you Led Zep.

Sky, if you want my help in getting the parts to you, let me know and I'll help you out bro.

VictorB

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'll see how much it costs to build. Then I'll pm you. Also consider that i live in Portugal, there will be some shipping costs involved.

Thanks.

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
In a way, it's just like guitar playing. We all take bits and pieces from other players to make our own thing.

It's the douche bags that try and market their clones as true, 'this is my 100% original design' builds and charge outrageous prices that piss me off. It's one thing to get paid for your work and another thing entirely to ass rape customers who don't know any better.

Exactly. You can see Eric Clapton admitting it all the time, that anything he's ever done can be traced back to his influences. It's no shame when you are honest, and when you put your own twist on it.

How many boutique pedal makers are selling overpriced copies of famous pedals and goop the boards in an effort to hide their origins (that and try to prevent people to steal their designs just like they did)?

SkyNet3D

Reaction score
Not to step on Sky, but if the shipping cost are too much, I'll do it for you Led Zep.

Sky, if you want my help in getting the parts to you, let me know and I'll help you out bro.

No problem :) , i do this for fun, not for profit. I think i can get everything through mouser and musikding, but thanks :)

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You guys are the best, I've wanted one of these for a long, long time...

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
So this Horsie thing is a dirt - as in an overdrive - pedal?
If that's all they are, it's cheaper to just buy amps and turn all the knobs to 10. Ridiculous.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
How many boutique pedal makers are selling overpriced copies of famous pedals and goop the boards in an effort to hide their origins (that and try to prevent people to steal their designs just like they did)?

I always found that funny. Doing that makes people even MORE curious to see what's going on underneath there. Attracts more attention though so I can see why they do it as a 'marketing' bit.

Or even funnier...how many big name players actually use these boutique pedals? I know there are some that have one or two on their boards but most just use common gear that's had a little tweaking. I find it even funnier when I go to a show and spy a $1500 (or more) pedal board and the guy can't even get from one note to the next without screwing it up.

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
No problem :) , i do this for fun, not for profit. I think i can get everything through mouser and musikding, but thanks :)

As do I. It gives me an excuse to break out my airbrush and keep the skill sharp. :thumb:

Beerdog80

Banned
Reaction score
If that's all they are, it's cheaper to just buy amps and turn all the knobs to 10. Ridiculous.

Yep. Or just buy another amp all together. $1500 can net you a nice set up.

VictorB

Super Mod
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

It can also be used as a type of clean boost. I've seen how Warren Haynes uses his, it sounds frigging amazing!

2009LPGT

Reaction score
It has become somewhat rare and collectable. It really has nothing to do with function. I think Warren Haynes has one on his board and a couple other pros that are slipping my mind actually tour with them. But 10 years from now when folks start the "$5k for a dirt pedal?!" thread, $1500 will seem pretty tame. As an investment it has merit. It is sturdy, easy to store and is likely (not guaranteed) to increase in value. Loads more fun to own than 300 shares of XYZ! However, IF he starts making these again, prices will come down considerably if he only charges $4-500 as is rumored. I wish I had bought every old TS I came across when I first started playing!!

Kinda like owning a tricked out Epi vs. a Gibson Historic. The Epi gets you 95%of whats going on in the Historic but there is something about owning the real deal that is worth big $$ to MANY people including me!! :thumb:

I would probably would not buy a Centaur but just like a 1959 Les Paul ($.25 million,) I would love to give one a try! :naughty:

Mayo5

Reaction score
The klon is amazing pedal. One of a kind, but it's not worth the 1500$. There is no difference in sound from the models. I would pay 500$ for the klon, but nowhere near that amount.

I would wait till he is ready with the new ones.

decoy205

Reaction score
id like one of these too. but i def can't afford that much for a pedal

4nd3h

Reaction score
Guys: If you're serious about buying a Klon they can be found on TGP regularly enough for as cheap as... under 700 dollars :rolleyes:

kungpow!

Reaction score
F#ck the Klon. I don't believe in it at all. There is no magic pedal. Get a better guitar or amp. Practice more.

Latest Threads