Kit Guitars: Worth, Experience, etc.

GibPhone

Reaction score
A great way to learn or figure out whether you would like to build a guitar from scratch.
This, really, is what I'd love to do. However, I wouldn't be able to afford all the tools I need for channeling, cutting in the binding slot (if I were to have binding), and even though I could use I think all the tools in my school's woodshop, I double they'd have what I need.

-----

I know a couple of you are saying the kit guitars aren't worth it, and a couple of you guys are swearing by it. Compromise being that I could do what some have said, make a guitar out of parts (can be a little more expensive, but really take the quality whole levels up), and you finish with something you'd actually want to play. I am not worried about resale value.

-----

I don't want to anger people and drag this thread on forever, if I'm going to do what I said above, then I'd probably have to, yes, go out of my price range.

If any of you have any more suggestions for an lp style body, neck, etc. Let me know, Thanks!

TriSarahPloop

Reaction score
I’m pretty much a complete beginner with any sort of major guitar work beyond a setup but have always wanted to learn, I bought a cheap Harley Benton Tele kit of thomann with the purpose of learning how to refret and finish.

The body wood is terrible but the neck is just your standard cheap beginner bundle guitar neck quality. Perfect for what I wanted to do but wouldn’t really recommend it for anyone looking a great guitar but a fun project ether way.

GibPhone

Reaction score
I’m pretty much a complete beginner with any sort of major guitar work beyond a setup but have always wanted to learn, I bought a cheap Harley Benton Tele kit of thomann with the purpose of learning how to refret and finish.

The body wood is terrible but the neck is just your standard cheap beginner bundle guitar neck quality. Perfect for what I wanted to do but wouldn’t really recommend it for anyone looking a great guitar but a fun project ether way.
Hey thanks, even though I want this to be mostly for a learning experience, this really helps, after all, who doesn't want something nice to play at the end!

ARandall

Reaction score
I know a couple of you are saying the kit guitars aren't worth it, and a couple of you guys are swearing by it.
You're getting the variation in opinion because there is variation in quality of product. So not only do you have a varying physical experience with the putting together, but different goals from the outcome too.

smk506

Reaction score
This, really, is what I'd love to do. However, I wouldn't be able to afford all the tools I need for channeling, cutting in the binding slot (if I were to have binding), and even though I could use I think all the tools in my school's woodshop, I double they'd have what I need.

-----

I know a couple of you are saying the kit guitars aren't worth it, and a couple of you guys are swearing by it. Compromise being that I could do what some have said, make a guitar out of parts (can be a little more expensive, but really take the quality whole levels up), and you finish with something you'd actually want to play. I am not worried about resale value.

-----

I don't want to anger people and drag this thread on forever, if I'm going to do what I said above, then I'd probably have to, yes, go out of my price range.

If any of you have any more suggestions for an lp style body, neck, etc. Let me know, Thanks!

To be fair, I glossed over the bit in your OP where you wanted an LP style guitar. A good tele for $350 is totally doable, a good strat is possible, especially if you hunt around for some of the bits.

I would probably not build a $350 LP kit and expect too much from it.

GibPhone

Reaction score
To be fair, I glossed over the bit in your OP where you wanted an LP style guitar. A good tele for $350 is totally doable, a good strat is possible, especially if you hunt around for some of the bits.

I would probably not build a $350 LP kit and expect too much from it.
Why is that, is it because the LP shape is more desirable?

smk506

Reaction score
I think it has more to do with manufacturing than demand. There are extra steps needed to make a carved top, set neck LP, and even if it’s a machine doing the work those steps are still going to cost time and money.

Couple that with the difference in material costs and you just end up with pricier bits.

Plus I think if anything demand is higher for the bolt neck stuff, at least as far as parts go. With that increased demand there is a larger supply, more supply to meet the demand usually brings more competitive pricing as well.

GibPhone

Reaction score
New idea: Like some suggested, buy a used Epi. However...

I could buy a special or a studio lt for really cheap and then strip finish and do my own finish, hardware etc. (I know I'm way out of my price range by now).

Is this a bad idea?

Latest Threads