KISS Fans??

Backstage

Reaction score
KISS was my first love ... and you know the saying about the first love ;).
I actually end up listend to them when the original band broke apart. But are doing right listen to their first records, go ahead with "Alive" and "Destroyer". And of course listen to "Strutter '78" from "Double Platinum" - Ace' solo rocks!

Greg's Guitars

Reaction score
Never really got into them but I respect what they did...

kisskat.jpg

Kezia

Reaction score
You know I just picked this up on Amazon because it was only $5, but what a gem! Anyways, just listened to it last night and for what it was, I loved it... What a unique album... Didn't feel like I was listening to KISS at any point in it... so I can only imagine the reactions when this first came out. The opening song "Hate" could easily pass for a St. Vitus or Pentagram song, and the whole record is obviously influenced by a lot of Alice In Chains, Soundgarden and even a little Sevendust. "Childhoods End" and "Seduction of The Innocent" really stood out... but the whole album was great. If that was their answer to 90's Grunge, I loved it! Thanks Kezia!

One of the reasons I love it is because it sounds NOTHING like them :laugh2:

No problem :thumb:

Kezia

Reaction score
Honestly,Kiss was better without(for me,please don't kill me) Space Ace,but Space Ace is better without Kiss!

album-crazy-nights.jpg

KISS_Asylum_etu.jpg

NO. Well not these albums at least...

Though I will admit, I can really only listen to a few KISS studio albums anymore without feeling sick (KISS, Hotter than Hell, Dressed to Kill, Destroyer, Love Gun, Revenge, and ESPECIALLY Carnival of Souls)

The up-the-ass marketing (albeit Destroyer/Love Gun being in that era) and corny songwriting inbetween the Dynasty-Hot In The Shade and Psycho Circus-Present really killed it for me. Don't even get me started on the Sonic Boom piece of shit. Psycho Circus was okay. Gene ruined the band and in all honesty they should've hung up the spandex and taken off the makeup for good after Ace & Peter left. I'd have a LOT more respect for them if they tried to do something different without the makeup (with Tommy and Eric, which if they did do something different would give them a chance to develop their own personalities as members of the band. They're both excellent musicians) and try out other things. Bring in some new fans, maybe even bring back some old ones. I know me and many other people are sick of having to see them become a parody/tribute act of their former selves. And kill off the Family Jewels bullshit. Major props to Ace and Peter. Etc. etc. I could rant on about this for hours but I need to see if my pretzels are done...

gibsonguitar1988

Reaction score
I love early KISS. The first album and Destroyer are my favorites. I lost interest after Love Gun. "Detroit Rock City" is by far my fav KISS tune. I also love "Strutter", "Calling Dr. Love, "Rock N' Roll All Nite" and "Beth".

Jody

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ90DdjH-Pk]I Want You - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wayQc-ElQA]KISS - Rock And Roll Over - Take Me - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHrxjvVI8V0]Kiss-Love 'Em And Leave 'Em (lyrics) 1976 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koSoNsowO8c]KISS - Rock And Roll Over - Makin' Love - YouTube[/ame]

Cpt Matt Sparrow

Reaction score
Being diplomatic, I am far from a fan ;) but my wife loves them! - especially early Kiss... so against my will, over the last 12 years or so I know their music almost as if they are one of my favourite bands LOL

Matt

SixAngryStrings

Señor Member
Reaction score
Well, just wanted to share that I picked up Destroyer and gave it another full listen and still understand why it took so long to properly discover KISS... This was the first and only album I listened to by them years ago and still have to say it's not my favorite, had I heard "Rock and Roll Over" or probably ANY other album by them I would've been into these guys long ago... What Gives? Definitely a very offbeat record... a couple gems, but still very strange... Definitely the best cover art though.

Lowdown

Reaction score
Dressed To Kill is the definitive KISS album. They were all firing on all cylinders then. It was truly make or break. Anyone who calls out Peter Criss' drumming(which was bad '77 on)needs to listen to his playing on that. Some of the weird offbeat things he was throwing out...and also listen out for the mistakes that fit so perfectly,stick clicks,cymbal strikes missed...Great album. Great times.

If you haven't gotten Ace's Solo Album...run out and get it NOW!
Lock yourself in your room. Turn it up loud and totally immerse yourself in it.
It doesn't and hasn't gotten any better than that album.

Destroyer is cheese.

Backstage

Reaction score
Dressed To Kill is the definitive KISS album. They were all firing on all cylinders then. It was truly make or break. Anyone who calls out Peter Criss' drumming(which was bad '77 on)needs to listen to his playing on that. Some of the weird offbeat things he was throwing out...and also listen out for the mistakes that fit so perfectly,stick clicks,cymbal strikes missed...Great album. Great times.

If you haven't gotten Ace's Solo Album...run out and get it NOW!
Lock yourself in your room. Turn it up loud and totally immerse yourself in it.
It doesn't and hasn't gotten any better than that album.

Destroyer is cheese.
Hrhr, you're right. The first stuff is still awesome and their best.

Destroyer is a bit too clinical and "designed" but there is no better concert opener than Detroit Rock City - YAY, party time :lol: .
And God of Thunder is also worth listening to.

Kezia

Reaction score
Call me when they get a drummer half as good as Matt Halpern... keep in mind he's doing this with a single bass pedal...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C8B_vtNChE0]Matt Halpern - Improvised Grooves - YouTube[/ame]

Latest Threads