Kirk Hammett new Les Paul...

Blues4U

Reaction score
Kirk saved that guitar from the pain of having to play the ****ing blues all its life :D

You realize this guitar was played in Thin Lizzy, Skid Row, Colleseum II and all of Moore's Rock and metal releases before he started recording strictly blues discs, correct?

I'm just glad a player has this guitar rather than some collector.

Maybe when Hammett is at the end of the road he'll sell it to some new up and comer like Lil Wayne.

roeg

Reaction score
Eddie Van Halen would put it to better use after pulling the neck pup out.

...and potting the bridge pup in wax...unless he fries the coils.:shock:

By his own admission,he potted(and failed) a few old PAF's back in the day.So i've read.

Blues4U

Reaction score
No.Gary Moore buried himself,drinking...he should not,and didn't,take a Historic guitar with him.I'd speculate thats why he sold it.Greenie must transcend.

Mal,i did not know Kirk was suffering arthritis.Thats a bummer.Now i will have to find a way to see Metallica,with my daughters.Both my daughters will demand it,at some point.

I admire Kirk,for bringing it out for all the world to hear.

Moore sold the guitar due to financial reasons or so I read somewhere.

He had some sort of legal action filed against him for some tour cancellations and he needed the cash for a settlement, or something like that.

Moore was a legendary player in Europe and more of a cult player here in the states. Although by any of our standards, he was wealthy, he was not "Made it in America, rock star wealthy" and didn't have a couple million in disposable income just laying around to pay off some concert promoter.

It is a shame he died as a result of his lifestyle. It has happened to often.

iavera

Reaction score
And he'd never come up with the melodies like kirk did in: one, fade to black, sanitarium, the solo to unforgiven is absolutely amazing and beautifully constructed and shows a masterful use of dynamics.

That's all relative...I think Marty came up with some great melodies by himself...(Youthanasia, A Tou Le Monde (sp?) etc...) but it just depends what you consider a melody....

Now...since were talking about trash I have to say those songs you mentioned except for some sections of ONE are some of his slowest ones, great melodies but not exactly "trash anthems" not dissing on Kirk at all ZI just think he usually comes up with a nice short melody then some fast pentatonic run...and repeat, with some exceptions of course. I think Ride the Lightning has one of the best solos for his early deaths (oh and Creeping death).

roeg

Reaction score
It is a shame he died as a result of his lifestyle. It has happened to often.

agreed.My favorite player,all-time.With his condition,he would have known the end would come sooner,than later.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that's my point though, Kirk can play slow and melodic.

The other thrash/metal guys? Yeah,...no.

Alex Skolnick could,...but that's about the only other person who comes to mind in that genre. (and probably no coincidence they were both taught by Satriani).

Kirk was bluesy while the other guys were shreddy. When they're ripping harmonic minors and "weird" scales,...Kirk was ripping up the blues scale.

He was very unique in a sea of tapping, whammy bar dives, and stupid/illogical fast playing that often wasn't even in the same key as the song. *cough*Slayer*cough*

Kirk just gets sh*t on all the time and his good work which is very good is ignored.

Like Slash isn't sloppy or using a wah-wah a lot of the time?
Like Ace Frehley isn't sloppy?
Like Angus Young isn't sloppy and all over the place with his timing?
Hell Jimmy Page live solos sound like he's falling down the stairs half the time. :laugh2:

...but everyone picks on ol' Kirk. :laugh2:

(since we're doing the fanboi thing :laugh2: .. Chris Poland > Marty Friedman ) :dude:

roeg

Reaction score
My 13 yr old was singing praises about Kirk's solo break in The Unforgiven a couple days ago.I couldn't agree more.

SGMM

Reaction score
Nope. Apples and oranges.

Marty was never a true thrash player. And he'd never come up with the melodies like kirk did in: one, fade to black, sanitarium, the solo to unforgiven is absolutely amazing and beautifully constructed and shows a masterful use of dynamics.

Marty was amazing no doubt, but people focus on his tornado of souls solo and his symphony of destruction solo,....and that's it.

I've taught those two solos over and over. No one ever wants lucretia? It's a cooler solo.

....oh, hanger 18,...taught that a few times.

Kirk has melody and that's something 99% of metal guitarists don't really have.

I get the digs (over bends, wah-wah) but he did some really good work in the early days that's stood the test of time.

Will have to agree to disagree I suppose bud (except for Lucretia...agreed that is "cooler" ) ...IMO Kirk doesn't compare to ANY Mary solo...slow or fast...not even close

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think it's just very different styles and what you like hearing.

I hear Thin Lizzy, Lynrd Skynrd, Led Zeppelin and Sabbath,..a little bit of Scorpions,...in Kirks playing. Plus the 'Outer Space' influence of Satriani.

And I like all that,..so to me it sounds really cool over James downpicking riffs.

I couldn't imagine Metallica with any other kind of solos than the frantic bluesy, slightly out of control ones they have.

Marty is technically a better player,...but so is Yngwie. :laugh2: They'd both probably sound sh*t in Metallica though. :laugh2:

I think Kirks strength is that he's not a technical player,..if that makes sense.

to me his stuff has a lot of feeling and struggle to it, it's not effortless. It works well with the music that way.

Megadeth is effortless sounding,..always. It's part of their thing to be the: Best, Fastest, Most Technical, Most Extreme Metal Guitar, etc.

SGMM

Reaction score
I couldn't imagine Metallica with any other kind of solos than the frantic bluesy, slightly out of control ones they have.

Well yeah that is how Mustaine wrote them... :laugh2:

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
qtwtop10_mrblonde.jpg

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's funny how the only time people say something nice about Mustaine is when they're saying something not nice about Kirk.

Jeez. :laugh2:

"Mustaine is a prick! An A**hole! Huge ego and bigger mouth! Sloppy too!"

"What about Hammett?"

"Oh Mustaine is much better, great guitarist, a legend really."

:laugh2:

malcostuart

Reaction score
Go on then Kirk babes, give it more than we've heard from it before, that would really be something to talk about. Thanks for your appreciation , I await in anticipation.

BornToLooze

Reaction score
Regardless of whether he "deserves" to have it or not, I guarantee you there isn't one person on this site that, if they could afford it, wouldn't buy one of their favorite guitar player's guitars.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'd buy Hetfields original white MoP explorer in a heartbeat

Davio

Alchemist Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Gary also realized that Greeny sounded like a Strat, so he sold it and... guess what? He got a Strat!

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFUW621lgXY[/ame]

Mockbel

Reaction score
Out of all lead players mentioned on this thread.. Marty Friedman is just No.1 to me... by far !!

Bluesky

Reaction score
Never thought that Greeny would outlive Gary Moore. Such an amazing player. Never saw his passing coming. That shook me to the core. I hate to say it , Kirk Hammet is cool in his own way. Cant deny the success he's had. He might be the biggest player on the planet. But I still dont think he's worthy of that LP.

Warren Haynes should own it. Just sayin........

Latest Threads