Kirk Hammett “One” Guitar, Up For Auction

rabidhamster

Reaction score
Those are neat guitars, but the 1 11/16 nut seems to be quite unusual for ESP or I’d own one. I don’t recall seeing a 400 series ESP with a quartersawn neck either but it’s been a long time.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's cool further down the page it has other (famous) auctioned guitars:

Peter Green + Gary Moore's 1959 Les Paul – $2 Million
Another $2 million axe is the 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard previously owned by Fleetwood Mac founder Peter Green and, later, Irish guitarist Gary Moore. It's now owned by Kirk Hammett, the Metallica member who was "blown away by the fact that [he] was holding a guitar that Peter Green played in Fleetwood Mac and then Gary Moore played for, like, 25 years after," as he told Guitar World in 2016. Now that's a historic axe!

Paid 2 million for it,.. and he gigs it on stage. That's pretty damn cool.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great song and great band but the damn guitar is fucking pink............

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
it's weird, I remember the day, the very moment that song premiered on Mtv because I was a kid and it just knocked my socks off and I thought it was the most incredible thing I'd ever heard. It made me change from 'dicking around with a guitar' to 'practicing 24 hours a day for years!'... it was a life changing moment.

But if forced to recall Kirks guitar in that video, this is what I recalled...

stratocaster-Scalloped-Fingerboard-Real-photos-New-Custom-Str-F-ST-big-headstock-Head-white-El...jpg

And I guess I was totally wrong.

Funny how our memories differ from reality.

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
I never saw it other than in the video, so I too thought it was a white guitar. Weird.

Or is it? Maybe Kirk is keeping the real white "One" guitar and trying to sell us this fake, like we wouldn't notice? o_O

redking

Reaction score
I always thought that guitar was seafoam green, but that must be because the video was in black and white. I don't remember seeing Kirk play that guitar other than in the video come to think of it.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I always thought that guitar was seafoam green, but that must be because the video was in black and white. I don't remember seeing Kirk play that guitar other than in the video come to think of it.
well... it's single-coils... and they use active EMG humbuckers (or did back then)... so ..

it's a video prop

I remember when he had a Jackson,.. he's been through a bunch of guitars. His black and white Gibson V is the one I most associate with him, but he probably played the ESP Strats the longest.
082788c07fac73587e0d7d9b05325ebc.jpg

When I was a kid I seriously thought he was the coolest dude in the world...

kirk.jpg

PeteK

Reaction score
I always associate the Ouija board ESP with him more than anything. I know that came later, but that's about when I started listening to Metallica.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah that one and the Boris Karloff guitar. Skull and Crossbones inlays and reversed headstock.

It's when he started having the clout to have custom signature guitars made. :dude:

totally biased but I prefer the '86 era Gibson and Jackson..

asdf.png

Keeryst James can downpick so fast back in the day!! ..

Last edited:

PeteK

Reaction score
Seattle 1989 was peak Metallica for me. I wasn't there or anything since I was like 7 at the time, but god damn did it look like a hell of a show! Jason Newsted must have had serious neck problems after this show as that is the most serious head banging I've ever seen. Kirk played many guitars that night. Seemed like James stuck to the white Explorer. Insanely heavy performances from everyone!

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
yeah I would've liked to've seen them in the 80's, but I was a kid.

I saw them in 92 when I was like 15. It was a fantastic show. Loudest one I've ever been to. Ears rang for days.

Latest Threads