kind of feels like Junior High School

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
There's a lot of truth in that. A lot of the issue is that when something was remastered for digital, the master itself was drastically changed. Everyone was fired up about how much clarity and crispness you could get from digital and when they remastered stuff that was originally issued on vinyl they leaned on that. Mrs. G and I have a vinyl collection but also the same cuts in digital form....so sometimes for fun we'll run the two formats simultaneously and A - B between them. The digital has clarity for sure, but usually quite a lot thinner....but not because of the medium necessarily, but because the re-issue was mastered that way.

Also, the first-generation digital desks had fairly primitive AD converter circuits, which are a lot of the reason 80s CDs (both new digital recordings and remastered analogs) were criticized, with justice, as "harsh," "tinny," "overbright" etc.

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score
I like music that isn't the most popular so I'm stuck with ordering online unless I travel far. I will avoid hearing a new release on youtube until I've received a psychical copy. I can't wait for the new Monolord album in the fall, it's going to be a pizza & record night with the guys.

Quiet please. I'm receiving my psychical copy. Sounds pretty good.

KP11520

Reaction score
Vinyl has it's place and is just a different experience. Digital is another quandary. LOL All that enormous headroom and compressed so much in comparison, there are exceptions of course, it's like having an 8 foot ceiling and living in that top 1 foot plane. So it's a different experience. It's all about preference.

I had vinyl for many years when I had music on constantly. Kinda like going home for good memories. AND there are MANY Cds that have just as much power with that elation. My world needs both.

I'm with those that believe in spending on real value and not Lithium Crystal snake oil. Somewhere around what's used in most Pro Studio environments. End to end signal chain. But I LOVE (purple) those Audiophile IEC $5K power cords. Worth every penny because they use magical copper. LOL

Spend your money on an electrifying Copper Red Head for real value. :naughty::naughty::naughty:

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Also, the first-generation digital desks had fairly primitive AD converter circuits, which are a lot of the reason 80s CDs (both new digital recordings and remastered analogs) were criticized, with justice, as "harsh," "tinny," "overbright" etc.
Yes and no. It was also the result of engineers not adjusting their work methods to digital. In the analog days they would routinely put some "english" on a track as they were printing it. They knew that they had to add extra brightness while it was going down because upon playback that brightness would be knocked back by the physical limitations of the magnetic tape. Tape has a tone. You don't get the same thing back as you put in. But for digital it's much more the case that you get a truer representation of the original signal upon playback. So not only did engineers make tracks overly bright as they printed if they wanted to retain brightness in a track, but they also pushed tape into distortion when they wanted extra fatness, pleasant harmonic distortion and all the great euphonics that come with that. You can't do any of that with digital. So instead of wielding the tape machine as a de facto processor, they had to figure out other ways. I believe that's why early digital recordings were considered harsh and tinny.

But there are good examples of early digital recordings that do sound stellar. Brothers in Arms is one. That was recorded on a Sony 24 track digital machine. Same machine I recorded on back in the day at McClear Place.

JTM45

Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Brothers in arms is a favorite of mine due to the sonic bliss it has, it’s so clean and the guitars just sparkle

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
20190713_155832_50.jpg

My haul for the week.

Nah getting records isn't addictive, not at all

Still waiting for the limited edition Theater of Pain on orange vinyl.

Babymetal debut album came in red vinyl, thought that was pretty neat. They seem to be the only Japanese or Korean music i can find on vinyl.

20190713_144445_50.jpg

Stevie 202

Reaction score
To me, vinyl is like analog photography...

It’s nice and all, but with the tech that’s out there it ain’t worth the bother and expense.

(DISCLAIMER: There were only records and reel to reel tape when I grew up so maybe it doesn’t have the same mystique for me?)

JMHO, YMMV etc......

Malikon

말억건
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I think part off the appeal is the big album covers, nostalgia, a physical connection to the music in that im actually handling it, and possibly because i use computers all day for work it's nice hearing music and not having a computer involved in the process since it's analog.

Maybe i just like the ritual of taking the album out of the jacket and dropping the needle.

Skeletor

Reaction score
If I was in your boots... I'd have a look at the gear that you mentioned your dad has stored away. Might be some decent foundation bits (turntable, pre-amp) to start building on?
Pass on the "furniture" size stuff if it doesn't work with your current space.

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
I think the appeal of vinyl is it's the intended way to appreciate the art.

Think about it. Most of us only see the Mona Lisa as a print or photograph, but Leonardo intended for it to be viewed in person. 20th century movies were intended to be printed on film and projected, but now they're experienced almost entirely via digital video.

There is something to be said for going to the Louvre, or going to the cinema, and the same holds for music.

I also think that in the age where every song or album you could want is available at your fingertips at any time and place, vinyl offers a completely different experience. Vinyl lets you be discerning as you curate your collection, selecting only the pieces that you really want to own, and technology used to play it makes listening to music a ritual in its own right. There's a meditative quality to that.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
I think part off the appeal is the big album covers, nostalgia, a physical connection to the music in that im actually handling it, and possibly because i use computers all day for work it's nice hearing music and not having a computer involved in the process since it's analog.

Maybe i just like the ritual of taking the album out of the jacket and dropping the needle.
And tearing the plastic off, or carefully cutting it open along the edge to protect the cover.

And without vinyl we never would have gotten this.

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
woah woah, i just visited the sights but i didnt belong to any of em lol. you do make some more good points on being high, ummm i mean playing the whole album start to finish. truth is i havent been high since 1984-5ish so i dont even remember how it was :dunno:

and now that i think about it, i do remember people would want to hear one or a couple of songs on an album but not the rest and having to do the changing of the disc because i would want my record to be treated gently so i would get stuck being the one to put on the next music. yeah cds and or flac at home and mp3s in the car or for workouts.
And then, someone made a TT where you could "program the tracks". It used a red light that was projected down to the surface of the vinyl and then, reflected back in the gaps between tracks. It would learn how many tracks were on that side and then it would play them as you programmed. The TT itself was complete garbage, but the noobs would buy them, because either they didn't understand how vinyl was meant to be heard, or they didn't care.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
There was something about album art that tied the package to the music.

The Players impressed with this...

...and killed it when you opened it up.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Be careful, Mal. Vinyl is a cruel and expensive mistress. She is an abyss, into which you will fall and spend extreme amounts of time and money chasing her seductive pleasures, only to have your heart broken and bank account emptied.

She is a drug more addictive than opium; one that you will never become able to resist.

May gods take mercy on your soul, for it is lost... forever.

(you'll understand this in about 5 years and $10K)
So are guitars whats yer point :p i am thinking of getting a turntable and tape player some records go old school tapes and records have the crackle that mp3s and cds dont provide plus hearing that blooop at the beginng of a tape is nostalgia x 10.:acoustic::dude:

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
So are guitars whats yer point :p i am thinking of getting a turntable and tape player some records go old school tapes and records have the crackle that mp3s and cds dont provide plus hearing that blooop at the beginng of a tape is nostalgia x 10.:acoustic::dude:
And the big clack of the buttons at the end of the tape.

krauley

Reaction score
crackles, what about scratching, does that count