kind of feels like Junior High School

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Out of all the 'stuff' that MLP has gotten me interested in unintentionally, Rediscovering vinyl records this week has been a ton of fun. Already ordered more records and have been looking at better players.

There's something just intangibly awesome about holding the physical album cover of a band you really like while the record plays.

It's debatable I guess about whether analog sounds better than digital, but the feeling of actually dropping the needle on a 'real' record and listening to music is a hell of a lot more fun than just clicking an mp3 file in my computer.

Happy Friday MLP. Remember the rules: Get drunk and break shit,... while posting. :dude:

Malikon

말 러 곤
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:laugh2: yeah,... nah.

I was looking at the Audio Technica and U-Turn Orbit ones.

Still need speakers and a preamp too. I'm not trying to spend $1,000. on a big stereo, just something cool for the table top that's better than what I have now.

What I have is working fine but I know it can get better, it's just a matter of balancing needs and budgets. I don't need a 'Gibson' turntable.

My Dad has all this good equipment in the basement of his house in storage I could probably use, but it's all enormous. I just don't want stuff that huge that requires furniture and stuff,... speakers that are 4' tall. :laugh2:

I was looking at stuff like ...

I like how the Orbit one is just super simple and clean looking

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
:laugh2: yeah,... nah.

I was looking at the Audio Technica and U-Turn Orbit ones.

Still need speakers and a preamp too. I'm not trying to spend $1,000. on a big stereo, just something cool for the table tap that's better than what I have now.

What I have is working fine but I know it can get better, it's just a matter of balancing needs and budgets. I don't need a 'Gibson' turntable.

My Dad has all this good equipment in the basement of his house in storage I could probably use, but it's all enormous. I just don't want stuff that huge that requires furniture and stuff,... speakers that are 4' tall. :laugh2:

I was looking at stuff like ...

View attachment 392501

View attachment 392502

I like how the Orbit one is just super simple and clean looking
The stereo of your dad's is exactly what we ALL wanted and saved for back in the day! I had a huge rack full of Nakamichi, Onkyo and DBX gear. Klipsch speakers that took up as much space as a recliner!

This was my amp and pre-amp...

Ampli-Onkyo-3.jpg

SteveC

Village Elder
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Be careful, Mal. Vinyl is a cruel and expensive mistress. She is an abyss, into which you will fall and spend extreme amounts of time and money chasing her seductive pleasures, only to have your heart broken and bank account emptied.

She is a drug more addictive than opium; one that you will never become able to resist.

May gods take mercy on your soul, for it is lost... forever.

(you'll understand this in about 5 years and $10K)

Sp8ctre

Reaction score
Be careful, Mal. Vinyl is a cruel and expensive mistress. She is an abyss, into which you will fall and spend extreme amounts of time and money chasing her seductive pleasures, only to have your heart broken and bank account emptied.

She is a drug more addictive than opium; one that you will never become able to resist.

May gods take mercy on your soul, for it is lost... forever.

(you'll understand this in about 5 years and $10K)
Truth!

...and you can spend $10K on a turntable alone.

Roxy13

Reaction score
One of my friends tells me all the time that I'm either insane or completely deaf to say that everything still sounds better to me on vinyl. But, that was how I first heard all the songs I listen to. And yes, holding the album in your hand, looking at the cover, and the interior if there is one, like the double albums had.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
My greatest moment in Jr HS was steaming up the windows in my friend's Subaru with a girl name Jane (redhead). The music paying on the radio included Clapton "Lay Down Sally" and the Stones "Miss You"...

Tone deaf

Reaction score
There are speaker cables that cost tens of thousands.
I make my own out of Canare (four conductor) wire from Markertek. Same thing, save thousands.

If one finds oneself falling into the vinyl rabbit hole, there are ways to do it without breaking the bank. The components are turntable, amp (integrated) and speakers.

Like guitar gear, buy used.