Kill me! The defiling of a '54 GT

Kro64

Reaction score
No way no how, what a waste of a once beautiful instrument !!! And he probably wants over 10 K

jbash

Reaction score
I watched this last night. I kind of like it, in theory. Reminds me of a Hamer. Love the color and the stinger.

Of course the mods are not done to a highly professional level and that is unfortunate.

When the guy bought it, it was just a used guitar. Not a holy grail. And he modded it to get what he needed out of it as a player. I'm fine with that. Better that than to be a unmodded case queen owned by a collector who just likes to look at it once in awhile, which is the real travesty- all those old guitars sitting around being admired, instead of used.

TheRoadToHull

Reaction score
,,, the real travesty- all those old guitars sitting around being admired, instead of used.
I disagree, some of them may one day end up with someone who will use and appreciate them. But what's this one's fate?

I might like it better had the mod been done a little more professionally; the upper cutaway needs to match the lower one for a start. Indeed I once owned one like that and it looked quite nice.

(Don't worry ,it was a copy, I wouldn't do that to a real LP.)

14_CGCustomLPSG_2.jpg

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I’d still tap that.

Honestly buying something like this is the only way I’m ever going to be able to afford a 50s Les Paul, so I’d take the bad with the good and try to fix it up. Personally I’d send it to Kim at Historic Makeovers and have the bridge fixed and probably have it refinished too. It’s not an original finish anyway, so I’d rather have it done in a better color. Also I think Trogly made a mistake regarding the refinish. He says it couldn’t have happened before they made it a double-cutaway; but wouldn’t they had to have refinished it AFTER the cutaway was made (likely at the same time) because the binding would have had to have been redone? Plus I highly doubt they would have done the cutaway so cleanly that they wouldn’t have had to, at minimum, touch up the areas around it which you would be able to see even with the naked eye. And at that point, might as well refinish the entire top, especially if the pickup selector switch was relocated at the same time, right? But anyway, I wasn’t very impressed with the tone, except the neck pickup, which was very nice - but the bridge was “meh” for me. I think if I ever buy something like this, it would be a humbucker-equipped conversion of some kind. The real deal is out of my reach financially, at least for the foreseeable future.

1981 LPC

Reaction score
I'm not bothered by the extra cut away. I am bothered by the toggle switch and that awful piece under the bridge.

However I wonder if 'plugging' the extra cut away, replacing the binding and refinishing it in gold is feasible. Will a plug leave witness marks?

lwchafin

Reaction score
Don't know what it would sell for, but man, does that remind me of making mods to guitars in the 60s. I agree with the toggle switch comment of 1981LPC - it's in an awkward spot and just looks bad, but if it worked for the owner, who am I to criticize? I figure the piece under the bridge was just a shortcut after the bridge stud repair and would guess that came later. And I'm a fan of double cuts and wish Gibson produced more of them.

kelsodeez

Reaction score
This one is a dog for sure. Tone was lacking and all those mods were just poorly executed. Not the worst work but for the price, it's just not remotely worth it. It was cool to see the original gold flake paint in the pickup cavity but this guitar commands no premium for my tastes.

jbash

Reaction score
Yikes.

The guitar *IS* a consignment, so I'm guessing the owner had final say on pricing, but no doubt Trogly had some influence there, and yeah....for that butcher job, that's about 10-15K too much.

Latest Threads