Keith Richards Guitars

Tassel

Reaction score

Ok, I'm gonna give a basic rundown of Keef's guitars and if anyone else knows of any others please add....
1. 'Micawber' is probably one of Keith’s most famous trademark guitars and is a 1953 Fender Telecaster Blonde. Micawber is named after a Charles Dickens character, no one is exactly sure why. Keith’s had this guitar since Exile On Main St. This guitar is kept in Open G tuning...

• 'Micawber' is used on songs like Brown Sugar and Honky Tonk Women.

2. 'Malcolm' is a 1954 Fender Telecaster with natural finish. Also kept in Open G tuning.

• 'Malcolm' is used on You Got Me Rockin’.

3. 'Sonny' is a 1966 Fender Telecaster Sunburst.
• 'Sonny' is famous for Tumbling Dice, You Can't Always Get What You Want

4. 'Dice' is a 1957 Gibson Les Paul TV Model Yellow. Starbuck says it’s a double cutaway and is always used on Midnight Rambler with a capo on the 7th fret.

Tassel

Reaction score
PART 2

5. 'Dwight' is a White 1964 Gibson ES-345 Stereo.

• 'Dwight' is heard on Let’s Spend The Night Together and Get Off My Cloud

6. #6 is a 1959 Black Gibson ES-355 Mono (some folks say it’s a ’60, but Pierre De Beauport, Keith’s guitar tech, says it’s a ’59)

• The ES-355 Mono Black Keith uses on Satisfaction, Oh No Not You Again, She's So Cold, Nearness Of You and Little T&A.

7. #7 is a 1975 Black Telecaster Custom.

• Tele Custom is used on Jumping Jack Flash most of the time

8. #8 is a 1957 Fender Stratocaster 'Mary Kay' Blonde with Gold Hardware.

• ‘57 Stratocaster is used on Miss You and Under My Thumb. Keith, Mick and Ronnie all play Stratocasters on Miss You.

9. #9 is a 1964 Martin acoustic.

• ’64 Martin Acoustic is used for Keith’s ballads like The Worst, as well as Ruby Tuesday, Angie, etc.

Tassel

Reaction score
PART 3

10. #10 is a 2006 Guild Custom 10 String acoustic.

• 2006 Guild Custom 10 String Acoustic is used on Wild Horses, in place of the 12 string Keith used to use before.

11. #11 is a new Zemaitis with the skull & crossbones design (like the original one that was stolen in the late 70’s) which was used during recent tours on Sway.

I think this is a picture of the original--

These are recent tours---but i'd like to see some pics and information on the older ones (like hyde park era late 1960's-early 1970's) I have seen pics of him playing an sg on honky tonk women also...

Dan

Reaction score
Great post, really enjoyed it :thumb:

Phil52

Reaction score
The most complete documentation of the Rolling Stones' guitars you can get to date.
I've contributetd a little bit to it over there.

imsilly

Reaction score
I WANT A 70s TELECASTER CUSTOM SOOOOO BAD!

I just thought I should let you all know that, anyone has one for sale like Keith's black with original Seth Lover neck pickup?

The Fender Custom Shop just did a limited run, I think they would probably be even better then an original. Even more rare though. Oh Dear god how I love Telecasters, I know this is a Les Paul forum, but they are just the best guitars ever!

fatb0t

Reaction score
Very informative, thank for this!

The original rock star right there

joebonsai

Reaction score
Here are a few other Keith guitars
first his Burst he owned in the 60's, a bit stripped

a Historic collection, he used on the Urban Jungle Tour
Ronnie with a very nice TV Special

that Historic during a sound check

....and Dice

close up

hope you enjoy

:hippie:

Drebin

Reaction score
Killer Thread!!! Im not real up to date with Fender's comings and goings, but does anyone know if they make an "American" Tele with the sngle bridge pickup and neck humbucker ? Again thanks for the thread!

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
I love the Tele's, great thread :thumb:

Tassel

Reaction score

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/vintage-les-pauls/---that's the sg that I talked about him playing on honky tonk women at hyde park...

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v298/withsssoul/iorr/1969jul5_SITP_courtesyBEG02.jpg--another hyde park (top of the rolling stones game)