KEEPSAKE

dro

Reaction score
Don't want to bring anybody down. I'm just reminiscing today. 9 month anniversary of Mrs. Dro's passing.
Ever buy a guitar you don't really intend to play?
I'm not talking about investment guitars.
But, something just to have?
I bought, and monogrammed this guitar after my wife passed. The pic is from when I put it away. Haven't seen it since.
Darlene.jpg

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear. I did not know your wife had passed.

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
Don't want to bring anybody down. I'm just reminiscing today. 9 month anniversary of Mrs. Dro's passing.
Ever buy a guitar you don't really intend to play?
I'm not talking about investment guitars.
But, something just to have?
I bought, and monogrammed this guitar after my wife passed. The pic is from when I put it away. Haven't seen it since.
View attachment 654008
Well, when my father passed I used some inheritance money to buy this.
IMG_20220417_170604621~2.jpg

It was/is my intention for it to be a keepsake but also to play.

However, I haven't bonded with it yet as an instrument so currently it's just a keepsake that lives under the bed.

I also used some to buy this guy
IMG_20220406_171856689.jpg

Which has become my number 1.

Music was my Father's passion. He had a challenging life to say the least and I believe music helped keep him going throughout his entire life. My passion is guitars so these are a good way to both honor a great person and keep the passions alive.

Sorry for your loss as well.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Very sorry to hear of your wife’s passing Sir! That is a beautiful guitar, wish you the best.

lunchbox

Reaction score
That's a nice sentiment.

My parents would shake their heads in disappointment if I spent any inheritance money on a guitar or anything music related. They never really supported me with any of my music playing. They would expect me to use it for a much longer term goal, like putting it towards paying down the mortgage. There's wisdom in that, but sometimes you have to have fun in life while you're here!

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
That's a nice sentiment.

My parents would shake their heads in disappointment if I spent any inheritance money on a guitar or anything music related. They never really supported me with any of my music playing. They would expect me to use it for a much longer term goal, like putting it towards paying down the mortgage. There's wisdom in that, but sometimes you have to have fun in life while you're here!
Yeah. I get that for sure. My dad was my biggest supporter for music. He made a living as a mechanic but in 69 started a DJ business (weddings and stuff) on the side with my mom. I think he wanted the same thing out of being a DJ as I want out of playing guitar and that is to "be the party". After he and my mom split I took over as his partner DJ'ing. We made decent money for a side gig and he had no issues with more guitars coming home.

Around 18 I was like, maybe I should get my own place. His reply was, stay here, buy more guitars. Lol.

In my case I already have a house. It's nothing fancy but it's mine. I don't make a ton of money and so I could never have justified buying either of these. The inheritance wasn't a life changing amount. Basically enough to pay the legal fees if I decided to sell my house but not enough to help put a meaningful amount on a larger house.

I used to some to buy a slightly newer family vehicle, some on the most expensive Christmas (last year) the family ever had, a family trip this past summer, new appliances for the house and these two guitars. Plus a little emergency money in the bank.

Non guitar players see guitars as a waste of money. If you buy new guitars then sell them in a few years that's true. If you buy already depreciated guitars and don't trash them you can get your money back (give or take). I bought guitar number one at the height of the pandemic bubble so if I sold it right now I'd likely lose $400-600. But ATM I have no intention of selling.

Guitar number two I bought at a decent price and it will likely to at least appreciate at the rate of inflation. Money in the bank doesn't do that.

Last edited:

Juan Tumani

Reaction score
That's a nice sentiment.

I guess I can add that my father passed somewhat unexpected at 70. He lived the last 20 years of his life hoping he would reach an age where he could just relax. When my mom left she essentially screwed over any chance he'd retire at a decent age. At 70 (other than recovering from his first heart attack) he was still working 5 days a week to get by.

Tomorrow is not a guarantee. Grab a bit of happiness when you can.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar….as is your dedication…

Aristotle defined love as one soul inhabiting two different bodies….or something to that effect iirc

so, in Aristotle's [and my] estimation, your wife continues to reside in you…

true love transcends everything…even death

-chris

GrandJunction

Reaction score
Mr. Dro - I tip my hat to you and offer you my most sincere condolences. Your posthumous tribute to your wife is wonderful, and I hope that the guitar helps to bring back great memories and put a smile on your face every time you look at it.

1allspub

Reaction score
My condolences on your loss. I cannot (nor do I want to) imagine such a loss. God bless.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Put me down as another "can't imagine". Peace.

.....I think you ought to play it.
I'm one of those who always puts em back in the case when I'm done.
I think this one needs to hang in a prominent spot.
This one has a purpose. Let it talk to you.

dro

Reaction score
That's a nice sentiment.

My mom was a pianist. After her passing, My portion of the sale of her house, built my home studio.

I appreciate everyone's comments. And if this whole experience has taught me anything. It's

John Lennon was right.

And remember the movie Ghost?
Patrick Swayze's last line. The love, you take it with you.
Well, you leave it behind too.

Last edited:

Latest Threads