just wanted to get some input

dolecek

Reaction score
I just bought a Epiphone Les Paul Standard (not the plus top pro)..iits coming from a guitarcenter across the country, anyway how good are these guitars?

Parasite68

Reaction score
Normally, your question gets asked sometime minutes before someone pulls the trigger. I don't own one, but I hear they're okay. By good, in what way are you asking? Tone? Performance? Playability?

I had a 2011 Trad Pro Goldtop shipped from GC in New York without any issues and it's my favorite guitar. It was a blind buy from the standpoint that I hadn't played one, but I did research and a lot of asking on here before I bought.

But if you just blind bought the guitar without knowing anything about it, it's hard to advise! :)

Clifdawg

Reaction score
Assuming that your guitar won't come with any major QC or build issues (which are very unlikely anyway), polish the fretboard, change the strings, set up the action and intonation, and adjust the humbuckers and you'll probably find these are great guitars.

One possible caveat: in my experiences the Alnico Classic 'buckers, despite their Alnico V magnets, are somewhat dark and muddy sounding due to the over-abundance of wax and the often-subpar wiring. I hear that changing to good 500K pots and better-shielded wiring brings out more brightness and character in the stock pups. Of course, there's always the option to upgrade to some quality USA-made pups if that doesn't work for you. Altogether that's probably a total of 200 bucks if you really want your guitar to scream, but you might not have any issues with the stocks, depending on how much you like or dislike their characteristically dark tone.

MrJudd77

Reaction score
Should have get the T+
Just Kidding, play the hell out of it then let us know. Remember to post pics or it didn't happen

rem22

Reaction score
I just bought a Epiphone Les Paul Standard (not the plus top pro)..iits coming from a guitarcenter across the country, anyway how good are these guitars?

I really don't understand this kind of topic. What do you expect ? There are 2 posssibilities, either we will say it's crap, and you'll be sad or ignore our answers either we will say it's great and that's probably what you want to hear.

Anyway, each guitar is different, you may have a piece of crap like you may have something better than a dull gibson.

According to me, the right question after you've bought a new guitar is what to focus on.
I'd say the settings.

gsmacleod

Reaction score
It's all about the individual guitar and what the player is looking for. What feels and sounds great to you will not be the same for everyone.

I have five Epi Les Pauls and my favourite, although not the "best" one I have is the first one I got - an '01 Standard. It's been my number 1 since I got it and while I really like my other LP's and know that they're better specced than my Standard, it's still my number 1. Feels and sounds right to me and ultimately, that's all that matters.

Good luck, I hope yours works out as well for you!

Shane

Fuelish

Reaction score
I have an all stock, well adjusted '07 Standard....it's "good enough" :cool:

Paulie C

Reaction score

The necks are hit or miss, the PU's are muddy and harsh, the caps and pots are cheap. It will get the job done, and if you end up loving it, all those things can be improved upon.

tonka.boy333

Reaction score
Unless there was an outrageous blunder in manufacturing or transport, you should receive a perfectly working instrument, ready to play right out of the box. There should be nothing wrong with the pots, caps, or wiring.

My advice is... don't change a thing. Plug it in. Tune it up. And start playing. Although the action may not be custom to your individual tastes, it should be perfectly playable. Get familiar with the feel, the tone, the action before you change a thing. You'll never know if you prefer different strings unless you play the stock ones for a bit.

Curmudgeon

Reaction score
I really don't understand this kind of topic. What do you expect ? There are 2 posssibilities, either we will say it's crap, and you'll be sad or ignore our answers either we will say it's great and that's probably what you want to hear.

Anyway, each guitar is different, you may have a piece of crap like you may have something better than a dull gibson.

According to me, the right question after you've bought a new guitar is what to focus on.
I'd say the settings.

This question reminds me of the one frequently asked in the Fake Epi thread: "I just bought this, do you think it's fake?"
For crap sake, you obviously know about this thread, so why didn't you ask before you bought the guitar? :facepalm:

Dun Ringill

Shall not be infringed
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
This question reminds me of the one frequently asked in the Fake Epi thread: "I just bought this, do you think it's fake?"
For crap sake, you obviously know about this thread, so why didn't you ask before you bought the guitar? :facepalm:

Along those same lines, there are lots of threads here about Epi standards. I'm all about research before I buy anything.

Latest Threads