Just traded my “57” Reissue Jr. for a Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Special Double Cut Reissue VOS - TV Yellow

mjross

Reaction score
Was trying to sell my “57” Reissue Jr that I unintentionally purchased and ended up trading for this:

Gibson Custom 1960 Les Paul Special Double Cut Reissue VOS​

1660254455330.jpeg

Those of you that have and love these guitars, please share your experiences, likes and dislikes. I’ve always wanted to try one of these and since I play lefty strung righty this Special will allow me to get to the higher frets when I flip her upside down unlike the Jr! Kinda excited to check her out, what do you think?

Question, what does Gibson call this color, looks kinda blonde? I don‘t think it’s TV Yellow, I think TV Yellow is more yellow than this!

This is the current TV Yellow Gibson is offering!

1660258031789.jpeg

Last edited:

moreles

Reaction score
I hate TV Yellow--historic yes, but ugly too--and absolutely love the color of yours. I've heard it referred to as "wheat" somewhere, though I don't think that's Gibson's term Big winner.

mjross

Reaction score
That is the EXACT guitar I've been looking for. I'd say it was a good trade congrats.
Thanks, the Jr I’m trading is pretty nice, had no idea those guitars sounded so good! However, being a single cut it just did not work for me. If I had Jimi’s fingers maybe, but with my short little fingers, no way.

I’m excited to try the Special, I‘ve always wanted to check one out. I also like this “Wheat” color much better than TV Yellow. Not that I do not like TV Yellow, I just prefer this “Wheat” color more on this particular guitar!

cybermgk

“Happiness is the most insidious prison of all"
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Okay
that I unintentionally purchased:

I have got to ask, because, the choice of words, is making me chuckle. How, does one 'unintentionally' purchase.

smk506

Reaction score
That’s a slick guitar @mjross! I love the color and I know I’m in the minority here but I way prefer specials to juniors, so even if you could play either equally, I’d still say good call!

efstop

All your base are belong to us
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Okay

I have got to ask, because, the choice of words, is making me chuckle. How, does one 'unintentionally' purchase.
I went to L&M to get a cable and bought a J-29 that was NOS and reduced from an already good price. At $1100 below retail, I just had to buy it.
Then I went there a few years later just looking around and saw a used Junior Tribute DC for the lowest price in North America at the time. Got another $50 off.
Later in the same year I noticed they had a Squire Vintage '50s Precision bass that I've wanted for a long time but I was just looking. Also they had a mint Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass for a couple of hundred more, so I bought that one.

mjross

Reaction score
Okay

I accidentally hit the bid button on my iPad during a collector guitar auction. Don’t say it, I already know!

mjross

Reaction score
I went to L&M to get a cable and bought a J-29 that was NOS and reduced from an already good price. At $1100 below retail, I just had to buy it.
Then I went there a few years later just looking around and saw a used Junior Tribute DC for the lowest price in North America at the time. Got another $50 off.
Later in the same year I noticed they had a Squire Vintage '50s Precision bass that I've wanted for a long time but I was just looking. Also they had a mint Fender Aerodyne Jazz Bass for a couple of hundred more, so I bought that one.
Yeah, I wish I could say that was my problem. I actually bought the guitar “unintentionally”!

Tollie

Reaction score
That was a fantastic trade. I love the color of your double cut. Congrats!

SASouth

Reaction score
It’s TV Yellow. The original version. The TV Yellow you see on the USA line guitars is much brighter and shows less grain than what it originally looked like.

In the 50’s Gibson called the original finish Limed Mahogany. it picked up the moniker TV Yellow because it first appeared on the Les Paul TV.

1660274591028.jpeg

1660274667092.jpeg

mjross

Reaction score
It’s TV Yellow. The original version. The TV Yellow you see on the USA line guitars is much brighter and shows less grain than what it originally looked like.

In the 50’s Gibson called the original finish Limed Mahogany. it picked up the moniker TV Yellow because it first appeared on the Les Paul TV.

View attachment 627340
View attachment 627342
I knew someone on this forum would know the answer, thank you Sir!

SASouth

Reaction score
Maybe too much Crown Royal. It is what it is…lol!

That there is your problem. You're drinking the wrong stuff. Try some good Kentucky Bourbon like Knob Creek, or Maker's instead of that Canadian swill.

jk, I like Crown Royal too.

LocoTex

Reaction score
That's exactly the color those guitars should be. Most are way too yellow.

none2low

Reaction score
Congrats on the trade. Love me a good double cut special. Just killer guitars!!

Btw - If I'm not mistaken, Gibson officially called that color "TV White" Although it's varied over the years from being a bit whiter to being more wheat.

If I had to guess yours looks like what Gibson was spraying during the 2005-2008'ish period? After that they seemed to go back to the brighter TV white finish.

Latest Threads