Just picked up an '81 LPC.... have a few Qs

riffwraith

Reaction score
Hi all

Just picked this up yesterday:

LP-1.jpgLP-2.jpgLP-3.jpgLP-4.jpgLP-5.jpg

I have played a bunch of LPCs, some nice, some dogs, but none like this.

Everything looks good. The tailpiece is in the right spot, the bridge has pins (not screws), the "G" in Gibson is straight, the frets have nibs, etc.

First Q that I have is about the knobs - those orig?

Second is the p/u cavity. I see this metal shield with two screws.... I have never seen that before. Is that normal?

LP-6.jpg

Third, is the neck. Currently, with the strings at tension, it is perfectly straight. Are these guitars suppposed to have a perfectly straight neck, or should it be (very slightly) bowed? Maybe this is a matter of personal pref, but would like to know if there is a correct answer here. Anyone know how they came from the factory?

Next, what polish is good and safe for cleaning the finish?

Last is cleaning the fboard. It's already pretty darn clean, but would like to clean it anyway. Is lemon oil the way to go, or something else?

Thanks in advance.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
For 1981 the knobs are correct,.. the shield can is original and part of the history on an LPC since the mid 1970s.... the relief is set to your preference and your playing style, I like mine flat to near flat. Being flat is really not an issue...naphtha for a grime cleaner and I like the Gibson pump polish but others will have their favorite.... ebony doesn’t need anything except a little cleaning once in a while...but that’s just my opinion.

Congrats and enjoy your fantastic LPC.:cheers:

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Wow! That’s a beauty! Looks better than the one I just picked up.
Control cavity cover is original. You’ll also notice that the output jack cavity has a can around it as well and the selector switch cavity.
Knobs are period correct. You have a great guitar there!

If you’ve just received the guitar then let it set for a couple days because adjusting the neck and bridge. Let it get used to its environment.
Edit: just to add that you should just give the fingerboard a clean with just a bit of water on a cloth and rub it down.

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Wow nice enjoy nice LP :D :slash: worth a Slash and a smilie!

grumphh

Reaction score
As the others have said, that guitar is period correct.

Some people like straight necks, others prefer more or less curvature - that's completely and utterly subjective.
The neck curvature can be adjusted with the truss rod (unless that is broken/worn).
Watch youtubes on truss rod adjusting to learn how to adjust and to ascertain that your truss rod works as it should.

I just clean my fretboards with a bit of water and a soft toothbrush. Hasn't hurt the fretboards (regardless of wood type) i have owned for the past many decades, then again, i admit to only cleaning fretboards every couple of years :D

ARandall

Reaction score
In terms of the TR.....well every guitar is different. Some play really well with a dead straight neck, others will buzz everywhere at the same setup measurements.
Its a process of learning the individual instrument's various foibles, to find its ideal string gauge, setup and tuning.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Really nice guitar. Play it for a while and see how it feels. If bending is difficult you might want to add a touch of neck relief, but play it for a while first and let it settle in / get used to it. Flat necks in my experience tend to be a bit faster but more difficult to bend on.

Caretaker

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Nice guitar.
Did you happen to buy it in central NJ?
A local store had 2 and now has 1.
Just wondering.

bblooz

Silver Supporter
Reaction score
Congrats on your new Norlin era LPC! That's a real clean one. Might even have Shawbuckers.........

As stated earlier, I like Naptha (old fashioned lighter fluid) to clean gummy fret boards. If they're not too nasty, a damp rag and a toothbrush are usually sufficient. Contrary to popular belief, ebony does need to be oiled periodically. Rosewood actually contains its' own oils naturally, but ebony does not. lemon oil, or linseed works good. I use a food-grade butcher block oil myself. There's a commercial guitar oil called "Guitar Honey" that works well too, but pricey IMO.

Burny FLG

Reaction score
Awesome. Knobs, cover in control cavity look correct to me. I still miss my 81, it had a 68 pickup in the bridge, flip out tuner winders and brown covers on the back. Otherwise identical to yours.
IMG_0130.JPG

grumphh

Reaction score
Contrary to popular belief, ebony does need to be oiled periodically.
All i can say is that i have never oiled any of my guitars with ebony fretboards, and this has not affected them adversely throughout the ~2 decades i have owned those.

And no, they didn't get regular play time throughout quite a lot of those years either, so it isn't "natural lubrication" that has kept them in fine shape...

Don't worry to much about fretboards, is all i can say.
Wood isn't some sort of fragile material that needs particular care to keep on functioning.

Burny FLG

Reaction score
All i can say is that i have never oiled any of my guitars with ebony fretboards, and this has not affected them adversely throughout the ~2 decades i have owned those.

And no, they didn't get regular play time throughout quite a lot of those years either, so it isn't "natural lubrication" that has kept them in fine shape...

Don't worry to much about fretboards, is all i can say.
Wood isn't some sort of fragile material that needs particular care to keep on functioning.
But it's fun.