Just ordered a Universal Audio OX - is it overkill?

your idol

Reaction score
So Im a home player. The amps I tend to love, like many of you, are really almost unuasable. I had an Orang OR80 that would shake the foundation of my house on 3.

I dont record or play out right now. Im just really looking for headphone use, attenuation and fun cab/micing combos. Did I just buy a bazooka to kill a fly? I like to have the nicest things as possible but I know i wont tap into a lot of the features as far as I know right now.

For those who own them, how do you like them? What do you use? What dont you use? Frustrations?

Did any of you have one and ditch it for something else? Why? What else did you switch to?

Thanks

The Ballzz

Reaction score
Its only overkill if it doesn't do the main thing you want it to do, or if buying it took food out of your babies' mouths! With that said, I feel that I MUST state that "The biggest difference between the men and the boys is the size and the prices of their toys!" and "He who dies with the most and coolest toys wins!"

And even though one of the most brilliant men in history was referrin to guitars, this applies to all toys!

einstein_on_guitars.jpg

Just Sayin'
Gene

redking

Reaction score
For me having that type of rig is the only thing that made low volume playing enjoyable (I use the Suhr Reactive load with IR's, but same general idea) . I would say however, using it as an attenuator is probably not going to be that satisfying, but running it through a DAW on your computer and a good set of Studio headphones or studio monitors is phenomenal. It requires a bit more gear, but totally worth it for me. (I have never used the headphone out on an OX, so have no idea if that is comparable to going through a DAW on the computer)

jwinger

Reaction score
For me having that type of rig is the only thing that made low volume playing enjoyable (I use the Suhr Reactive load with IR's, but same general idea) . I would say however, using it as an attenuator is probably not going to be that satisfying, but running it through a DAW on your computer and a good set of Studio headphones or studio monitors is phenomenal. It requires a bit more gear, but totally worth it for me. (I have never used the headphone out on an OX, so have no idea if that is comparable to going through a DAW on the computer)
Headphone out on ox is pretty comparable to going through UAD Apollo interface into DAW. Both sound superb to my ears

Torshalla

Reaction score
It seems to be a great piece of gear... hope you like it and that it enables you to use your amps.
I went the other way and got a Kemper... my amps are now gathering dust...

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
UA makes great gear. Top-notch! If I could have afforded it, I would have got the OX. I settled for a V1 Two Notes Torpedo Captor and a Mooer Radar.

Vortex

Reaction score
I've only used headphones with the Helix.. Ox is on the "Someday" list. I have the Toneking mini. Works well. My amp is only 8W but I decided to make my own attenuator. Surprised by how well it works. :cool2:

decoy205

Reaction score
I use the torpedo live the same way. Headphone practice and recording direct. I like using my amps over sims and cab sims have come a long way. It’s worth it in my situation.

Last edited:

Tiboy

Reaction score
It’s never overkill if you want it and can afford it without sacrificing the necessities of life. I’m considering the Freyette PS2 simply for attenuation. I consider the purchase as disability/life insurance. If I don’t turn down, the neighbors are going to hurt/kill me.

your idol

Reaction score
Man yall make me feel a lot better. I really considered cutting my cost in half and going with the Two Notes Reload box. I didnt like the Captors only because theyre ohm/load specific. I dont know what talked me into spending twice as much on the ox vs the reload but it makes me happy that so many of ya like youres or wish to have one. Its just more than Ive ever spent on anything that isnt a guitar or and amp so Ive been nervous. $1400 is no joke/small chunk of change.!

mdubya

Reaction score
The OX should open the door to endless possibilities.

You may not want that, but little by little, you can start taking advantage its uses to the point where you won't want to go back.

I would recommend getting a set of small studio monitors to use with it, too.

Almost every pro demo we hear on youtube, now, is running through an OX or similar.

your idol

Reaction score
N
The OX should open the door to endless possibilities.

You may not want that, but little by little, you can start taking advantage its uses to the point where you won't want to go back.

I would recommend getting a set of small studio monitors to use with it, too.

Almost every pro demo we hear on youtube, now, is running through an OX or similar.
Noted! Im looking for a good set of headphones that wont run me an arm and a leg first. Im looking for pairing options for it right now

Hecubus

Reaction score
Those are so cool. I bought the Suhr RLIR about a year ago and sometimes wonder if I should have just gone for the OX. I think at the time, you needed an Ipad to access the software, which I don't have. I see now that you can use a Windows PC. Now I see everyone on Youtube (Pete Thorn, That Pedal Show, Bret Papa, etc. ) sporting the OX with great results.

As far as headphones, I recommend the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro. I did not like the Suhr with my Sony MDR-V6s and went on the recommendation of other Suhr and Kemper users. There maybe another pair that works best with OX.

LP1865

Reaction score
What are you using?
Headphones I guess:cool2:
Lmao sorry, I don't use tube amps, but I do use headphones for my amp sims and my amp which has an in built headphone jack.
I prefer in ear headphones, and so far the best ones I have used are actually the cheapest:-
I pick these up for around $3-4 here in India, they have an extremely flat response, and are pretty well built

mdubya

Reaction score
OK HEADPHONE USERS! What are you using?
Some $29 Sennheiser closeouts from a MF Stupid Deal of the Day. They are great, but I can't even find them right now :laugh2: so that tells you how much I use them!.

I would contact UA to ask what the best affordable headphones are recommended for the OX.

I have had good success using my Samsung ear buds, too.

matthew bear

Reaction score
OK HEADPHONE USERS! What are you using?
AKG K240.
On recommendation from my friend with a studio. But, it was for an all around good set (vocal tracking as well as other shit). Very comfortable for long sessions and pretty inexpensive...

that said, I hate headphones for playing all the time always and forever :laugh2:. I’d rather have a pair of studio monitors for low volume, but ymmv.

I am using them with a Kemper too, so there’s that.

mdubya

Reaction score
Another vote for studio monitors. You can get the tone you want and turn them down to almost nothing, sit right in front of them or put them right next to your ear. They are great!

I like my Presonus monitors very much and they are very reasonably priced.

Latest Threads