Just joined. At long last.

Musikell

Reaction score
I'm picking up a new old stock trans cherry 2019 traditional tomorrow. Ive longed and lusted for a Les Paul even though I'm only an emergency session guitarist. (I was a session keys before lockdown. If an extra guitar track or tweak was needed after the session guitarist had left, I would often be asked to oblige).

I have a Yamaha SE812 and an Ibanez 470DXQM (which is going on eBay) and have always used Elixir 09|42s so have a couple of spare sets.

I see the traditional recommendation is for 10|48s. As the strings are 2 years old I expect they'll need replacing straight away.

Has anyone any views? Any other observations?
s-l1600.jpg

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome! I've been eyeballing one of those that's available as a demo. That's a lovely colour (Canadian here) on an LP.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
welcome To the cult....

also, I have a wine red trad too....one of the most gorgeous guitars u will ever own..

I friggin love red lesters...

peobryant

Reaction score
Congratulations, that is a gorgeous guitar. My opinion? Install the pickguard, throw on a set of top wrapped 9s and play the hell out of that thing.

Musikell

Reaction score
Congratulations, that is a gorgeous guitar. My opinion? Install the pickguard, throw on a set of top wrapped 9s and play the hell out of that thing.
Thank you! Indeed I will not play the hell out of it! I’ve got a Squiier strat that cost £40 if I feel a bit Townsendy. I’ll be telling people not to look at it. Maybe lift the lid of the case each Christmas morning and sneak a peek.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
nice top.enjoy it,life is too short to save it for the next guy.

bungle

Reaction score
Playing the hell out of a guitars got nothing to do with Townsend. Don’t be afraid to play your guitar, that’s what it’s for. Enjoy it.. edit: oh ya :welcome:

Last edited:

Gitter

Reaction score
Welcome! That's a nice looking guitar...very clean...congrats! Is it just me or does anyone else think those knobs were an odd choice with that finish? Regarding strings...I use 9.5's on my Les Pauls and highly recommend them if you're looking for something different (D'Addario).

JMP

Reaction score
What a beautiful Les Paul. Enjoy it in good health. Goddamn pandemic. I recommend experimenting with string brands and gauges. I enjoy 10-46 GHS and Ernie Ball.

jskidder

Reaction score
Don't hide that top with a pickguard. That's blasphemy. Pickguards are for solid color LPs only imo. But different strokes, I guess. I'd also never top-wrap and I prefer 11s on my LPs - Ernie Ball RPS, specifically.

Musikell

Reaction score
Whatever you prefer. I use D'Addario's. Ernie Ball & D'Addario are the most common brands, but there are some who use Elixirs as well for longer life. D'Addario strings last a long time for me.
Cheers. I use elixirs on my acoustics because I got so sick of changing sets every other gig. So kind of drifted on to them for the Lexus as well. Will try D’Addarios again. Thanks!

Musikell

Reaction score
Don't hide that top with a pickguard. That's blasphemy. Pickguards are for solid color LPs only imo. But different strokes, I guess. I'd also never top-wrap and I prefer 11s on my LPs - Ernie Ball RPS, specifically.
I think the idea of a white plastic pick guard over that lovely wood is wierd too. Screwing holes in my new guitar? Pleeeeeese nooooooooo.........

Latest Threads