Just got these beauties from ReWind

jlee

Reaction score
4EBFF9CE-6D5F-4955-BF22-6E6C42494073.jpeg

Just arrived from James. Thanks James! 3 varieties of rough cast A5 magnets! Going in my OX4 set possibly.

Call me crazy, but these look sexy! Am I a nerd or what!? :eek2:

Last edited:

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
View attachment 326312

Just arrived from James. Thanks James! 3 varieties of rough cast A5 magnets! Going in my OX4 set possibly.

Call me crazy, but these look sexy! Am I a nerd or what!? :eek2:
Yup! You are, but I can relate! Carry on, it's a guitar geek forum! No foul here!

Have fun with the experiment! I did a similar thing on my Sigil's a while back. Dave sent me an extra mag to see which one I liked better.

Never even thought about doing this stuff before I joined here!

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
Did someone post a link to my eBay store magnets on another forum or something, recently?

I had a CRAZY run on my magnets via eBay sales over the last week or two! I hardly do any business on eBay (usually direct) but just had a rush, specifically the magnets.

Tis the season to be swapping? Who knows. Just strange, but I'm grateful. Thanks for the support! Let me know how they work out.

alnico59

Reaction score
I don't consider myself a nerd but I can hear the difference in the highs with a SC over a polished mag in an A5. I would describe it as not as glassy or more organic if those words relate.

The older SD '59 used SC and people chase those so...

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
The differences in sound between rough sand cast magnets and "polished" magnets is almost certainly due to the magnets coming from different foundries or being made in different batches at foundries with loose tolerances or sloppy practices.

You can hear the same types of differences if you get several of the "same" magnets (all rough or all polished) from several foundries, especially the inexpensive ones from offshore foundries. Many of those operate in a very manual way and the results have a great deal of variance from batch to batch and from one foundry to another.

I always use rough cast AlNiCo bar magnets but only because that's correct to what Gibson did in the 50's and 60's. Not because they are arguably better. In fact, they are arguably inferior as far as physical fit.

afranke

Reaction score
james has some nice mags. I was one of the guys that bought some off ebay.
his warm a2 is awesome!

Latest Threads