Just got my SD-1

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
And I have to say I am very impressed.. the pedal looks so simple, but I got some great tones out of it last night.. pairing it with the GE-7 EQ definitely adds more flare.

I'm just curious what settings you use for specific songs/genres.. I'm still getting used to it.

I also saw there are 808 mods done to it.. sounds interesting.. hmm

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
And I have to say I am very impressed.. the pedal looks so simple, but I got some great tones out of it last night.. pairing it with the GE-7 EQ definitely adds more flare.

I'm just curious what settings you use for specific songs/genres.. I'm still getting used to it.

I also saw there are 808 mods done to it.. sounds interesting.. hmm
I picked up a stock SD-1 from GC the other day. I tried it out a couple of times but haven't had time to really give it a workout. Is yours stock or modded? There are a number of mods out there as well as DIY mods available for the pedal. My initial thought is that it is not a bad pedal at all, especially for the low cost. I need to spend some more time with it though. I can't recommend any settings yet but later perhaps. I don't have any outboard eq but it sounds like it works good for you.... enjoy! Gibsonblues ... :)

LoKi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
808 Mods are very simple to do to this pedal. Change the input cap, the diode *one of* and a handful of resistors... and Bam! 808. The only thing these pedals really needs is true bypass, but unfortunately, Roland can still charge a crazy high price without it.

DIYstompboxes.com » Welcome

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
808 Mods are very simple to do to this pedal. Change the input cap, the diode *one of* and a handful of resistors... and Bam! 808. The only thing these pedals really needs is true bypass, but unfortunately, Roland can still charge a crazy high price without it.

DIY scares me.. I have as much electronics knowledge as politicians have integrity (none).

I've also heard about a 'sniper' mod for the ge-7... ugh i wish i was smart

Gibsonblues

Reaction score

Loki... I believe you are right about the true bypass. This seems to be a nice pedal especially for the price, $39... I'm pretty good with electronics so I'm not afraid of modding! I will probably end up working on this one. Gibsonblues ... :)

FUS44

Reaction score
The SD-1 is a great pedal. Versatile, able to be used in conjunction with other distortions very musically.
My choice for "road work" should we go out again. I will probably just go with 2 SD-1's. One dimed for max distortion and one for overdrive. You can find them in any town at nearly every music store. The same can't be said for vintage and boutique pedals, which I learned the hard way.
good luck with it!

Gibsonblues

Reaction score
The SD-1 is a great pedal. Versatile, able to be used in conjunction with other distortions very musically.
My choice for "road work" should we go out again. I will probably just go with 2 SD-1's. One dimed for max distortion and one for overdrive. You can find them in any town at nearly every music store. The same can't be said for vintage and boutique pedals, which I learned the hard way.
good luck with it!
I had a chance to jam a little last night and I was able to experiment a little with the SD-1. I used the Les Paul and the pedal was plugged into the amp input. I found out that the pedal is a little noisy especially when the tone or drive is turned up above 12. I tried the pedal out as a lead boost having the level all the way up, tone around 12 position (straight up) and drive turned all the way down and the amp on lead channel. Not too bad at all! Harmonics were accented nicely and amp tone didn't seem to be colored much. I didn't really like the SD1 on the lead channel when the amps gain was up in anything other than a lead boost. I did like the SD1's drive on the clean channel though. I was able to get some really good blues sounding tones and crunchy chord and rhythm from it. Cranked up the drive on the SD-1 and with the tone in the noon position on the SD1 I got some nice lead sounds with good harmonics in it. Was noisy with the drive up and I didn't like the tone turned any higher than mid position. Anything more than that and it was a little noisy to me and a bit to much treble for me unless I backed it down on the amp. Over all for the price this is a good pedal. Gibsonblues ... :)

FUS44

Reaction score
I should've also mentioned that I use the SD-1 with an extremely loud. clean amp and use it with otherpedals. I don't have any high gain amps, so I should've prefaced my comments with that info!

Latest Threads